• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Day I Became a God (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe prediction isn't the most apt word; forecasting is the technical term I was looking for. I'm not certain if it's (just) memory at work here, at least not just yet.

If Odin/Hana/Index uses past data (I guess that's where memory comes) to make predictions—guessing the winning horse, knowing that Sora is in danger because she's unusually late, foretelling the thug's moves to counter them, and guessing the end of the day comes in less than a month—then we're looking at forecasting. But forecasting isn't perfect, and her being wrong a couple of times is proof of that. She's *smart but unreliable.

*spoiler[sounds like an economist but moving along]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
Hina didn't foretell the thug's moves tho, she set up the floor to move Yota and as his move was first, the thug reacted as he wanted. If it was prediction, she could have just called out to Yota to duck, bob and weave accordingly but that wouldn't have moved the Thug to throw punches or move the right way.

If the only one acting odd was Hina then I'd say "time loop" but Yota's parents ruined that through several odd actions and responses, including one out of sight from the main cast. The whole family's named after Gods... changed to Japanese but I recognized the literal Family Pantheon right away... who recognized another God who said she was someone else but while "memory" was one of Odin's traits, it's not his alone.

Yet it's her alone ability. True prediction is just remembering things out of order after all; Remembering the effect before even the cause happens. I become suspicious of everything once she got the umbrella.

If she knew it would rain, she wouldn't have gone out.
If she remembered getting wet... then she'd get an umbrella.

It's probably splitting hairs for most people but to me there is a distinction: remembering the outcome means you can't change anything while prediction infers events can change.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting theory.

Forecasting or preconceived memory... welp, only one way to find out! Let's see if we will in the next episode.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
4:

I'm taking a shot: spoiler[Hina is designed/modeled after Dr. Korogi's daughter. And she is the company's lost property.]

Argh, I'm frustrated. The Gag of the Week centers around mahjong... the one game I don't understand. That being said, every single reference to the game is out the window for me. But then I think: is it really about playing the game? Well, no; it's about how to throw the game. Yeah, Rewriting (aha, see my Maeda reference there?) the game and just roll with it. And throw in some UNO rules because why not. Basically, the whole game is an owarai.

So naturally, it's the kind bound to make me lose IQ points. Which I did.

And it looks like the show's gonna take its own sweet time giving snippets to who (or what) Hina really is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
The extension of my understanding of the rules of mahjong goes back to watching Saki a decade ago, which is that it is important to make big impactful calls that cause something like magic powers. That did seem to be Yota's strategy in just being confident in declaring whatever he could make up on the fly. I will just assume it would be like playing poker and making up your own hands, even pulling some Uno strats.

Kind of lost some impact from the fact that Yota has no idea what the ridiculous thing he is doing, and neither do audiences that have no idea of the rules either.

The adult woman hitting on the teenager boy, though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Oh, there we go. That's the Jun Maeda stuff I was waiting for. As with a lot of his stuff, it would have worked perfectly well as a stand alone OVA. As is, it seems kind of story-adjacent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
That's the Jun Maeda stuff I was waiting for.

Yep, it was exactly my response that this is totally Jun Maeda's stuff that can bounce off the earlier comedy to come across as entirely sincere and hit right in the heart.

I actually really liked the dad character, an interesting surprise that as usual with these types of characters he does have a bit of a wacky side too, going to all of those restaurants.

And to be honest, I really don't think that was the time to ask her out or something, she was an a very emotional moment in having closure with her mother, mixing in getting her to have feelings for him at that time would probably be messy.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:37 am Reply with quote
5:

Dear Narukami, you knew that Izanami lost her mom and his father is grieving even to this day. Yet... you tried to lure him out with an invitation to a place with cute girls? I know you're not the brightest light bulb in the house, but for a rather empathetic guy, I didn't think you're an insensitive dumbass.

I get it: it's just for shits and giggles. But it kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

But there it is. THERE IT IS: trademark Jun Maeda family drama, with special focus on coping with loss. Doesn't have to resort to Clannad-esque supernatural magic; a metaphorical one would do perfectly fine. Touching. The whole video part is very reminiscent of an episode from Violent Evergarden, but that final curveball hit me hard.

Easily best episode so far.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:26 am Reply with quote
I felt it the episode didn't land myself as it lacked that special touch Ishihara added to the Key works Kyoto Animation produced. Maeda needs someone to tell him "No" when it comes to slapstick style comedy when he's trying to land an emotional gut punch.

To put it another way, the piano was there but it never made it to an actual tune, it just wandered a bit. Cue piano version of "Aozora"... but no, not here.
JM: "I need you to feel sad at this point."
"But why? It doesn't make any sense, we've seen the footage. Yota grew up with Inuzama and this should be the crux of their relationship and, look, Kyoto Animation's Tamoko Market's movie did this plot better and that was just as an afterthought."
JM: "But it's not the plot and Yota has nothing to do with it."

How not and why not? If the mother of a childhood friend of his died, how has it not affected Yota? That was the footage from Yota's father who was the cameraman so both family spent time together... the family saved the footage... and the only thing Yota thinks connects them is studying!?
Is this guy even human? [checks notes] Forget I asked that.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
6:

Of course it's a summer festival episode. This show is based in the summer. The show might as well give us a hot spring episode while they're at it.

I want to yell out "but how do they manage to track that one particular truck among all trucks in this not-Tokyo city", but no. NO. Don't say it. Don't point out how Yota dramatically jumps from the bike to the back of the truck. Don't ruin the mood with my "that doesn't make any sense/how contrived can you get" criticisms.

But I swear, that loli-shirt wearing guy was Joujirou from Charlotte. Strangely he wasn't wearing any protective gear instead.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:19 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
But I swear, that loli-shirt wearing guy was Joujirou from Charlotte. Strangely he wasn't wearing any protective gear instead.

I knew that he looked strangely familiar about that guy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Kind of feels like that garbage processing factory could be a symbol for what it feels like, in that we have been on a ramp for a while it kind of feels like we are about to fall over the edge. We got confirmation that Hina is related to the doctor that is happening in the other side of the story, the doctor was also involved in some kind of study of natural immunity or something. We also got a date of 2013, I don't remember if we have otherwise been given a year.

Connecting the two parts, we probably should have confirmation that these two parts are happening simultaneously, since it looked like the ramen show was happening. Which with the simulation theory only holds up if they too are in the simulation. My theory ideas are going along the lines that the original Hina might have died from something like a poor immune system, with the doctor helping with the research of creating something like a simulation which would allow him to recreate his daughter inside of it. Probably way off base with this line of thinking. But seeing the photo makes me think that we are meant to assume that is the Hina we know in it, while by standard tragic storytelling the real HIna was a more tragic character.

I am so going to look back at this with embarrassment.

Also, why is this show better when dads get involved?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 am Reply with quote
7:

I don't think much about the junkyard and garbage disposal part. But I do think the movie making is an allegory for what's really happening. Hina being a character who has the ability to save the world, with a guy-friend on her side... man, too close.

There are 5 more episodes left. There are also 5 more days left. Dear god, please let this show just get the plot moving and not show Hina & Friends doing fun nothings. I know I'm right on the nose about what this show is going to be about, but please, enough with the "best summer ever!!1!".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:30 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
There are 5 more episodes left. There are also 5 more days left. Dear god, please let this show just get the plot moving and not show Hina & Friends doing fun nothings. I know I'm right on the nose about what this show is going to be about, but please, enough with the "best summer ever!!1!".

Next you are going to say that Angel Beats and Charlotte might have had a good setup but totally failed at sticking the landing. Like Angel Beats might have felt like it ran out of episodes and just suddenly resolved a bunch of character's stories off screen. Or if Charlotte... I can't think of a way to be subtle about what Charlotte did, that I think it largely just made the show kind of obscure in my memory.

Lets be fair, at least this show is not Glasslip, the romantic connections are easy to see.

But thinking back Angel Beats makes me think about how much I loved that show when it was being released. Now that I think about it, Izanami kind of feels like she has shades of Kanade in her.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
If there's a cop-out―which is very probably at this point—I'm not going to be shocked. Disappointed for sure, but shame on me if I get surprised.

And how many have we seen shows with a good start but a trainwreck of an ending (not just Maeda's work)? People like me are bound to go "damn that show was awesome if it wasn't for how it wrapped up". Sour aftertaste sticks to the mind more than they should.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4