• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! To The Top

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
The show still looks great to me, but I was already expecting this season to look a bit different because even though Takahiro Kishida is still credited for the character designs, much of the show's art style came from Takahiro Chiba, who was the chief animation director for the first three seasons and sadly didn't come back for this one. I'd love to know what he's working on, since Run with the Wind is his most recent show as far as I know.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hoshiumi (feather-hair guy if you're as “good” with names as I am)

I guess he's a seagull, since his school is Kamomedai (鴎台) and 鴎 means seagull. That's also why his eyes are so weird. Looks like we're setting up for a land/sea battle rather than the rural/city fight from last season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
plus it may have given the Miya twins too much to notice about him without actually seeing what he can do when he remembers to hit the ball. They're definitely going to be keeping an eye on him now, and that may not be entirely good.

I think they would've been keeping an eye on him in any case after his first play, but it would've been nice to at least get a surprise point out of it. Also the more two-toned twin would've been waiting for Hinata, since he's sharp enough to have noticed Kageyama's being unimpressed by Hoshiumi. Plus also, the team intel that you mentioned - although it kinda seems like maybe they don't do that in volleyball as they do in baseball, given how Shiratorizawa reacted to Hinata and Kageyama showing up to spy on them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't like the booing right off the bat. That seems like the kind of bad sportsmanship the Japanese would really frown on.

I don't like the orange uniforms, especially with Hinata going full carrot now from hair down to his shoes. July, huh. ::heavy sigh::
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't just mean that that band has been practicing, either; Inarizaki's entire section of the audience knows to be quiet when their team is serving but to whip out the boos when it's the other team's turn. While I suppose that's technically not cheating, it certainly feels unfair enough that someone should put a stop to it
This is actually really common in sports and is generally part of the home-field advantage. A good example for this I can think of is a QB in football after making a big play running to the line of scrimmage and using there hands to do what Inarizaki did and brings all sound to nothing, then get super loud when on defense so the other team has trouble running a play on offense. This is a core thing with the famous 12th man of the Seattle Seahawks. In basketball the same happens when teams go to the free throw line. The stadium goes silent for the home team, but super loud for the away team unless the away team is up alot and there fans voices become the main driving force. Being able to control the level of sound in a game can completely mess a team up. It can also be used against the home team if the opponent is able to stun the opposing team to silence. Thus making there smaller group of fans the louder faction and send the sound back at the other team.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Using noise and cheering is one thing, but I don't think I've ever heard the stands booing a player before they'd even done anything, unless that player was notorious for other sins than just being an opposing player. You just don't boo a player for merely stepping onto the field.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I don't like the orange uniforms, especially with Hinata going full carrot now from hair down to his shoes.

I refuse to think of Orange Hinata as anything but "Full Carrot" for the duration of this match now. In fact, that may be my new nickname for him.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Using noise and cheering is one thing, but I don't think I've ever heard the stands booing a player before they'd even done anything, unless that player was notorious for other sins than just being an opposing player. You just don't boo a player for merely stepping onto the field.

Sadly, that's exactly what volleyball fans do here in Brazil.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I don't like the orange uniforms, especially with Hinata going full carrot now from hair down to his shoes.

I refuse to think of Orange Hinata as anything but "Full Carrot" for the duration of this match now. In fact, that may be my new nickname for him.

I heart this whole conversation Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
At least Nishinoya looks good in black. Rolling Thundercloud!
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Can they really afford these character episodes anymore? I've loved Haikyuu's structure since the beginning. It makes the sports action just as good as the character arcs. But with the drop off in staff and production, I don't see the series getting another season. As is, there doesn't seem to be a satisfying conclusion within reach of it's current pace. And the last thing I would want to see is a rush to finish where the show falls completely apart.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
I like Kenma, so I'm glad they took the time for these last two episodes. And it was sadistically funny to see him pushed so hard he was cursing gravity and the air, as well as the word "guts." He's an interesting kid.

It's weird, but with this new art style, Sarukawa's coach actually looked more like old Daichi than current Daichi does. :/
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
I didn't notice any off-model stuff, but the whole season looks off-model to me, so I'm not the one to judge this. Smile

Hinata's Kageyama wiki was a nice return to form, as was seeing his trademark spread-eagle leap after the service ace. I've missed that sort of visual lunacy.

Speaking of missing stuff, is it just me or has Daichi been pretty much awol this season? He's barely gotten any screentime, let alone dialog, at least not since the break.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
This season had its first truly ugly episode 4 weeks ago (reportedly outsourced to 4tune), and this week's episode certainly had its share of off-model moments, although some shots still looked fine to me, especially Kageyama's first service ace. Pandemic-related or not, it's a shame to see this happen to a show I used to hold up as the gold standard of sports anime, and I hope the BD version will feature some corrections and improvements to the animation.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:17 am Reply with quote
Not scary? I fully expect Tsukki to make him eat his words. Twisted Evil We already got a bit of foreshadowing on that, with Hinata right before: "Tsukishima never forgets payback, and he slays."

While I am enjoying the dives into the other players' lives, which they've always done flawlessly, I think the reason I've felt unable to connect with this season (aside from the art) is that they seem to be doing it at the expense of Karasuma. I guess they figure we know them all already, but their personal interactions have always been what makes this franchise, and it's really been given short shrift. I am not feeling their pain or fear or joy or even teamwork at all, just watching them be shocked occasionally as they do their thing on the court. The personal glimpses have just been too fleeting to make an impression.

This episode changed that up a bit, which is what made me realize what's been missing for me. Not enough yet, but hopefully getting there.

(Psst, ad nauseam)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

(Psst, ad nauseam)

ARGH! I swear, my spelling has deteriorated during this pandemic. Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4