• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:21 pm Reply with quote
@Roadwarior2

Shamisens is closer with a guitar than a violin. The way is played is very different and uses a bachi and not a bow.

The Japanese instrument that is played like the violin is the Kokyu. Its shape is close to the a Shamisen but smaller. It uses a bow and the bridge is on a different position.

It appears only during the Edo period around 1670 so after the Sengoku period.

But yes, we can stretch a little and say that the violin can appear like a different Shamisen, even if it played in a different manner.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Towa: “Papa Sota, I’ve been such a burden to you and your family, especially since I fight bullies on a regular basis like other shonen protagonists. Now I’m leaving with barely time to say goodbye. Could you ever forgive me?”
Moroha: [Steals Sota’s credit card and buys a boatload of stuff] “Thanks, Uncle I literally just met! Toodles!” Laughing

But how could you not love Moroha? She’s brilliant, the perfect mashup of Kagome’s and Inuyasha’s personalities—abrasive yet charming, teasing yet insightful, a troublemaker with a great sense of humor and a lot of heart. She even appreciates grandpa’s valuable antiques. Best girl of the season, for sure. And I’ll be darned if she wasn’t raised by her parents, she’s just lost her memories of them (hopefully recently). It’s those damned butterflies, man, stealing memories and separating kids from their parents. They’ll be reunited and remember each other, I’m sure of it!

Am I the only one who likes Towa? Honestly, I love all the girls in the Cousin Squad. Towa is the perfect balance between Setsuna’s haughty chilly exterior (which was given a lot of context) and Moroha’s impulsiveness. Towa has a white knight’s honor, but a grounded 21st century outlook and an expressive connection to her emotions.

As for the plot...a lot of exposition this ep, and I’m not sure I understood all of it.
Quote:
The Tree of Ages tells the Half-Demon Princesses that they must defeat Kirinmaru, and in doing so, destroy Sesshomaru, who has allied with him.

Did Treekyo say that Sesshomaru allied with Kirinmaru? What I got was that Kirinmaru took over after Sesshomaru abdicated his position and threw the balance of power off (presumably because of Rin?) But she also said that taking out Kirinmaru would destroy Sesshomaru as well...and then we saw that Sesshomaru is...is he in the Rainbow Bridge? ...at a frozen Rin’s side, disappointed that Treekyo couldn’t convince his daughters and niece to go after Kirinmaru...so he’s going off to do something himself...or something. I’m really confused.

*Sigh* and my main complaint is that the girls don’t seem interested in what happened to their parents or how they’re related to each other.
The next episode preview teased spoiler[Miroku] so hopefully we’ll find out what happened to one missing character. Maybe.

Last edited by Agent355 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
So the potential villain is the demon Kirinmaru.

Towa's English teacher is named Kirin Osamu.

Coincidence much?
Plus it would explain the "obviously an outdated disguise" vibes with his "retro" thick nerd glasses and 80s-90s anime hair.

Last edited by zztop on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
What I didn't get well was the deal with Sesshomaru and the other dog demon...like you have to kill both, you can't kill one or the other or the other will come after you...that confused me. They're not joined at the hip. Plus Sesshomaru seems to have given up being Lord of the Western Lands...there's a lot of plot holes here.

And the Tree of Ages seems to have a grudge on him too, it wanted him dead as well. Jeez, I thought Inuyasha caused all the trouble, now Big Brother's giving him a run for his money.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
There is nothing I hate more than when a show doesn't reveal every part of the plot, story and characters in only four episodes. And it make no sense that characters that only just met aren't automatically the best of friends. I for one expect my shows to be written like a wiki article free of context, character development, and build up.

Okay, without the sarcasm. I'm pretty certain Sesshomaru isn't going to be an actual antagonist. The original Inuyasha was overloaded with bait and switches and stuff not being what it seems. So I expect this show to be the same.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Weeks? I thought they said it was only 4 days or something, but maybe I misread that. Actually, that might have just been how long Setsuna learned to play the violin, but then I'm not clear on when they mentioned how long they were there for.
Regardless, I completely agree that Kagome's family's reaction to Moroha was very lackadaisical. At the end of the last episode it seemed they weren't sure, but this episode it seems like everyone acknowledged it, but didn't care... Why was Sota showing Towa pictures of his sister and InuYasha and not Moroha??? (or at least both of them)

GoldCrusader wrote:
The name thing seems used by show in that time slot. MHA uses them too. It's probably something mandatory for the timeslot. Just learn to deal with them. It aint hard.

They removed them for the BD version of MHA.

Really?! That's great to hear. It really annoyed me seeing that every week tbh

crazieanimefan1 wrote:

That being said, no one mentioned Moroha and the credit card. Like how the heck did she rack up that much and she never had to use one Before? It was hilarious! Poor Sota!

But the new pairing i liked was Setsuna and the violin. The violin can be classified as a sad sounding instrument at times and I think her taking it up is one way she can let her feelings out. I'm not sure if that's the time frame that the violin was introduced though, but it could make sense to have one in that era.

Yeah, I did laugh at that credit card bit as well. I was impressed how quickly she learned about it Laughing

I also liked the violin section. I hope she continues to play throughout the series. It'd be nice to see her end up as a violinist in the present instead of being a demon slayer in the past.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:33 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Weeks? I thought they said it was only 4 days or something, but maybe I misread that. Actually, that might have just been how long Setsuna learned to play the violin, but then I'm not clear on when they mentioned how long they were there for.
Regardless, I completely agree that Kagome's family's reaction to Moroha was very lackadaisical. At the end of the last episode it seemed they weren't sure, but this episode it seems like everyone acknowledged it, but didn't care... Why was Sota showing Towa pictures of his sister and InuYasha and not Moroha??? (or at least both of them)

GoldCrusader wrote:
The name thing seems used by show in that time slot. MHA uses them too. It's probably something mandatory for the timeslot. Just learn to deal with them. It aint hard.

Really?! That's great to hear. It really annoyed me seeing that every week tbh

crazieanimefan1 wrote:

That being said, no one mentioned Moroha and the credit card. Like how the heck did she rack up that much and she never had to use one Before? It was hilarious! Poor Sota!

But the new pairing i liked was Setsuna and the violin. The violin can be classified as a sad sounding instrument at times and I think her taking it up is one way she can let her feelings out. I'm not sure if that's the time frame that the violin was introduced though, but it could make sense to have one in that era.

Yeah, I did laugh at that credit card bit as well. I was impressed how quickly she learned about it Laughing

I also liked the violin section. I hope she continues to play throughout the series. It'd be nice to see her end up as a violinist in the present instead of being a demon slayer in the past.

You gave me a theroy on the photos. What if Towa took the one of Inuyasha and Kagome to give to Moroha later on? Or asked Sota if she could? But I agree, Sota should've at least done something for her. Grandpa was mostly the only one of the family to take the girl in.

And yeah, she's a quick learner...she'll need to use some of her business sense to pay her uncle back one day. lol And yes, Setsuna should be a violinist. Yet would she actually stay in the present? She could be the opposite of Kagome for once.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:10 am Reply with quote
$5

The guy on Sesshomaru's attire is actually Inuyasha.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
But how could you not love Moroha? She’s brilliant, the perfect mashup of Kagome’s and Inuyasha’s personalities—abrasive yet charming, teasing yet insightful, a troublemaker with a great sense of humor and a lot of heart. She even appreciates grandpa’s valuable antiques. Best girl of the season, for sure. And I’ll be darned if she wasn’t raised by her parents, she’s just lost her memories of them (hopefully recently). It’s those damned butterflies, man, stealing memories and separating kids from their parents. They’ll be reunited and remember each other, I’m sure of it!

Am I the only one who likes Towa? Honestly, I love all the girls in the Cousin Squad. Towa is the perfect balance between Setsuna’s haughty chilly exterior (which was given a lot of context) and Moroha’s impulsiveness. Towa has a white knight’s honor, but a grounded 21st century outlook and an expressive connection to her emotions.

I am one of the people new to the franchise, and I am enjoying the characters, even if I don't really know how they compare to their parents. I like Towa a bit more due to her androgynous nature, so far to me she has felt like the central character. Moroha also feels refreshing in ways, since she does not feel like the girl of the group that you often get in these sorts of stories, none of the three really are but at the least Moroha is more feminine than Towa.

Setsuna so far seems a little grumpy, it will probably be better when she plays nice with the others. Her interest in the violin was nice, I do like how she quickly grabbed it once they got out of the tree, showing that she does care about things in contrast to what she tries to project to others.

Because I am probably going to go off on some line of thinking that will have people think that I am forcing some sort of agenda onto Towa, I am going to put some focus on pieces of her character. If the reason Towa dressed in a more masculine clothing was because it is just easier to fight in and not any other part of her identity, then shouldn't the same ethos be mirrored in both Moroha and Setsuna? They all fight, but the other two have long hair, and although not in skirts they are don't seem as concerned over more feminine clothes, Setsuna even wore a dress when practicing the violin. Even when we saw Towa not dressed, in either underwear or pajamas that look really close with a sports bra and a pair of boxer briefs, it did not really feel like it was done in the style of seeing a normal teenage girl in her underwear. So far I kind of think of it as more than just outer clothes worn that might be better in a fight.

Giving my intentions away, I am kind of hoping that Towa would turn out to be some form of queer. Even if that is unlikely with the way Japan can be with such type of identities, where they fit into the idea of "tomboy is just a phase".
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
Can we talk about how cool it is that they mentioned Moe (Sota’s wife)’s career as a professional musician even though she has less than 10 minutes of screen time so far? However the series goes with the characters particular gender presentation, I’m hoping it will have an overall feminist perspective. We have three girls who are all tough fighters, Setsuna wears heels and a dress when she wants to, Moroha walks around buck nekkid and doesn’t care (she’s “more feminine” how, Dusky Predator? I just don’t see it. Inuyasha has long hair, too, so I wouldn’t necessarily connect long hair with femininity in this series) ,Towa wears a boy’s uniform and looks fantastic.As long as no one pushes any of the girls into a gender presentation they’re uncomfortable with, I’ll be happy.

zztop Great catch! I saw people making the connection between Kirinmaru and Towa’s teacher on Twitter. I guess this confirms that the girls will be going back and force through time.

Minos_Kurumada wrote:
$5

What makes you think that?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:21 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
We have three girls who are all tough fighters, Setsuna wears heels and a dress when she wants to, Moroha walks around buck nekkid and doesn’t care (she’s “more feminine” how, Dusky Predator? I just don’t see it. Inuyasha has long hair, too, so I wouldn’t necessarily connect long hair with femininity in this series) ,Towa wears a boy’s uniform and looks fantastic.As long as no one pushes any of the girls into a gender presentation they’re uncomfortable with, I’ll be happy.

Well, Moroha does seem to have a bow in her hair with a feminine appearing ponytail, and while her lower wear are not actually a skirt they can kind of look like it as short loose pants.

Moroha generally so far gives off the airs that she does not give a dang about whether she would come across as femininely, the sort of girl that would probably loudly burp without caring what others think, while still being confident that she is what she is as a girl. While it does feel like Towa puts some effort to distance herself wearing an actual male uniform rather than wearing a form of the uniform that could achieve the same effect.

A feminist perspective is cool, that the three of them don't have to be at a mercy of what is expected of girls, and can fight like any anime dude. Even that Setsuna can choose to wear things like that dress, feminism does not mean that female characters have to be separated from feminine things, but that they can choose those things while still being strong.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:04 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Because I am probably going to go off on some line of thinking that will have people think that I am forcing some sort of agenda onto Towa, I am going to put some focus on pieces of her character. If the reason Towa dressed in a more masculine clothing was because it is just easier to fight in and not any other part of her identity, then shouldn't the same ethos be mirrored in both Moroha and Setsuna? They all fight, but the other two have long hair, and although not in skirts they are don't seem as concerned over more feminine clothes, Setsuna even wore a dress when practicing the violin. Even when we saw Towa not dressed, in either underwear or pajamas that look really close with a sports bra and a pair of boxer briefs, it did not really feel like it was done in the style of seeing a normal teenage girl in her underwear. So far I kind of think of it as more than just outer clothes worn that might be better in a fight.

Giving my intentions away, I am kind of hoping that Towa would turn out to be some form of queer. Even if that is unlikely with the way Japan can be with such type of identities, where they fit into the idea of "tomboy is just a phase".

They gone out of their ways in Sunrise Yashahime official site saying "easier to fight" is the reason Towa dresses that way, so you very likely be disappointed.
That male uniform it can be seen as a modern interpretation of the demon slaying uniform of the past like the one her sister uses. It makes her be able to fight anytime, anywhere, without been worried of what clothes she uses in that moment.
She will probably keep using it as a representation of she was the one of the trio raised in modern times. Also if you look a her closet as in @Roadwarior2 post showed most of what we see is feminine clothes, so she probably would use them more often if she not be in fights so many times.
But she been the tomboy of the trio, she will probably use the uniform almost always.

Of the trio, if they were in a school anime, Towa would be the class tomboy, belong to some sports school club, attractive to boys and girls, Setsuna the class unreachable ice-cold beauty, and Moroha would be the cute class mascot, taking things at her own pace.

This different character design make this anime attractive to both boys and girls audiences. Also been a anime with a strong trio of female protagonists, this also is good for both boys and girls audiences,

And for me I really like Towa character design with those clothes, looks great on her with her short hair. Makes me somewhat remember the way Saber dresses in Fate/zero.
Also shows that masculine style clothing can look great on a woman.
Zefram

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
$5

Nah, its definitely Sesshomaru. Unless they switched bodies, minds and personalities. Doesn't match Inuyasha personality (straight-out attack vs complicated plan) and its Rin not Kagome.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I am one of the people new to the franchise, and I am enjoying the characters, even if I don't really know how they compare to their parents. I like Towa a bit more due to her androgynous nature, so far to me she has felt like the central character. Moroha also feels refreshing in ways, since she does not feel like the girl of the group that you often get in these sorts of stories, none of the three really are but at the least Moroha is more feminine than Towa.

Setsuna so far seems a little grumpy, it will probably be better when she plays nice with the others. Her interest in the violin was nice, I do like how she quickly grabbed it once they got out of the tree, showing that she does care about things in contrast to what she tries to project to others.

Speaking from the perspective of a woman that presents androgynously. It's not that deep. I dress the way I do because it makes me feel comfortable and I see no reason Towa would be any different. No one is born wearing dresses or pants. Gendered clothing is an arbitrary social norm that serves no function. There is no reason for Towa to present more feminine other than that is how society expects girls to look. Some people just do not believe they should have to look a certain way based on their gender. It's that simple.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Ah, I see. I've never noticed or heard of that particular rule for shows broadcasting at an earlier timeslot - it's a very interesting thing to learn!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 29