• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wave, Listen to Me!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm Reply with quote
What made this episode work is that the mutton was specifically mentioned in a previous episode as a gift from her parents in a different year. Despite that, I forgot about it at first and only thought of it when I was thinking of ways that it wouldn't be a murder.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:00 pm Reply with quote
This episode works better when you don't know what really happened before it's revealed (you didn't read the manga).
You heard that "noir detective" monologue at Mizuho's apartment and may be fooled that something serious really happened, or at least that it wasn't Minare's fault.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I know how risk is to comment about this but... I don't really agree that Wave (or Minare) is "homophobic".

I understand, "oh, look at this mangaka using this tired trope".
I get that, but still...
I think it's not that Takarada is a "that type of gay", he is just "that type of person". The series didn't said explicitly "gays are like that", it's just him. It's annoying but I still don't agree that you can't joke about this, not when ther's people that are still not convinced that Nakahara is really, in fact, a nice guy and still accuses him of trying to touch Minare's but (he didn't).
And about Minare herself, it's very clear that she will uses anything when badmouthing and blaming others.

Like I said, it's risk for me to give this opinion, but I want to read what others have to see about this.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Aside from recapping the events of Wave's first episode, which we've finally caught up to, there's one more sequence worth discussing in “I Can't Tell You Over the Phone”, a flashback of sorts to a meeting between a young Kanetsugu and the elusive Sissel Komei, who has returned from her overseas work with a passion for working in radio. The scene is decidedly abstract in how it is directed, using post-modern techniques like a sepia tone and dialogue intertitles that establish a much more somber tone than what the rest of Wave usually goes for. She went and saw Monty Python on Kanetsugu's recommendation, and while she got what made them so popular, she's less interested in comedy that makes fun of easy targets; Sissel would much rather establish a brand that draws laughter from jokes reflected back on oneself.

If that philosophy, not to mention her striking resemblance to Minare, wasn't enough to sell the feeling that has drawn Sato Kanetsugu to his new protégé in the present day, Sissel declares that, if she were ever to have a child, she would name them after the word that means “To make laugh”, which is written as 笑わせる. This would normally be romanized as “warawaseru”, though an alternative reading can give you the katakana spelling of ミナレ. “Minare”.
I completely missed the fact that the two people in the scene were supposed to be Sissel and Kanetsugu (my best guess was just that they were Minare's parents) due to being distracted by the fact that all of the woman's lines were delivered in Ainu (which is why the Japanese intertitles were necessary for her lines in the first place). Incidentally ミナ・レ (mina re) isn't an "alternative reading" of 笑わせる, but simply the same phrase in Ainu. I've learned some Ainu in the past so a part of me is ashamed for not catching on to the meaning of Minare's name sooner Embarassed, but I'm also happy to see a Hokkaido-based show acknowledge the island's indigenous culture in some way, even if it doesn't go to the lengths of Golden Kamuy or Concrete Revolutio.
鳳凰の王

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
Aside from recapping the events of Wave's first episode, which we've finally caught up to, there's one more sequence worth discussing in “I Can't Tell You Over the Phone”, a flashback of sorts to a meeting between a young Kanetsugu and the elusive Sissel Komei, who has returned from her overseas work with a passion for working in radio. The scene is decidedly abstract in how it is directed, using post-modern techniques like a sepia tone and dialogue intertitles that establish a much more somber tone than what the rest of Wave usually goes for. She went and saw Monty Python on Kanetsugu's recommendation, and while she got what made them so popular, she's less interested in comedy that makes fun of easy targets; Sissel would much rather establish a brand that draws laughter from jokes reflected back on oneself.

If that philosophy, not to mention her striking resemblance to Minare, wasn't enough to sell the feeling that has drawn Sato Kanetsugu to his new protégé in the present day, Sissel declares that, if she were ever to have a child, she would name them after the word that means “To make laugh”, which is written as 笑わせる. This would normally be romanized as “warawaseru”, though an alternative reading can give you the katakana spelling of ミナレ. “Minare”.
I completely missed the fact that the two people in the scene were supposed to be Sissel and Kanetsugu (my best guess was just that they were Minare's parents) due to being distracted by the fact that all of the woman's lines were delivered in Ainu (which is why the Japanese intertitles were necessary for her lines in the first place). Incidentally ミナ・レ (mina re) isn't an "alternative reading" of 笑わせる, but simply the same phrase in Ainu. I've learned some Ainu in the past so a part of me is ashamed for not catching on to the meaning of Minare's name sooner Embarassed, but I'm also happy to see a Hokkaido-based show acknowledge the island's indigenous culture in some way, even if it doesn't go to the lengths of Golden Kamuy or Concrete Revolutio.

I immediately after watching the episode to look up some Ainu grammar. Apparently ミナ means "to laugh" and レ is the causative affix.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
She went and saw Monty Python on Kanetsugu's recommendation, and while she got what made them so popular, she's less interested in comedy that makes fun of easy targets; Sissel would much rather establish a brand that draws laughter from jokes reflected back on oneself.

And this is where the episode lost me. While this show sees Monty Python as black comedy that attacks targets, the West see them as silly people who say silly things while doing silly walks. Monty Python worked so well for so long because they never lost sight of the biggest target of all, themselves.

And let's face it, now that the show brought it up on its own, Minare is the Argument sketch.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
She went and saw Monty Python on Kanetsugu's recommendation, and while she got what made them so popular, she's less interested in comedy that makes fun of easy targets; Sissel would much rather establish a brand that draws laughter from jokes reflected back on oneself.

And this is where the episode lost me. While this show sees Monty Python as black comedy that attacks targets, the West see them as silly people who say silly things while doing silly walks. Monty Python worked so well for so long because they never lost sight of the biggest target of all, themselves.

And let's face it, now that the show brought it up on its own, Minare is the Argument sketch.

Hummmmmm they made an entire movie making fun of Christianity.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:

Hummmmmm they made an entire movie making fun of Christianity.
Yes but she saw their live show in London which was just the Flying Circus sketches. I'm impressed that the author knew they did live shows but I'm disappointed if he generalized its contents on purpose especially as what she described she wanted in comedy was the actual contents of the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Even there, like the ministry of silly walk is clearly making fun government and pointless ministry.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Even there, like the ministry of silly walk is clearly making fun government and pointless ministry.

I think the point is not making fun of the weak and powerless.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Just a headsup, all the link in the review just link back to the review.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kakoton and Kakoen were freakin' awesome. I especially loved their very long montage of silly faces and noises, and the fact that, for reasons I won't even pretend to fathom, they bear uncanny resemblances to a monkey and a pig, respectively.

No, Kakoton is the pig and Kakoen is the monkey. That's because in Japanese the Chinese reading for the pig kanji is ton (e.g. in tonkatsu) and the Chinese reading for monkey is en.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is interesting that Kanetsugu is leaning hard into the role he's carved out for himself as Minare's mentor, and I'm keen to see how his past with Sissel.

James, I think the “how” ended up in there by mistake or part of the sentence got cut off. Also, as meiam pointed out yesterday, the hyperlinks aren’t working. Sad

Personally, I found it hysterical that Kanetsugu had Minare record her entire date just to get some voice samples of her ex. (I guess he didn’t expect it to run so long but talk about miscommunication.) Laughing
Seagloom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a fun reveal, though I have to wonder if the character had (or has) much more to do in the manga, since I had completely forgotten she even existed.

I can see her next noteworthy appearance as a denouement for the season finale.

Chishiro is virtually an ancillary character compared to Mizuho; or budding deuteragonist Makie. While her role is meaningful enough that I wouldn't write her off as insignificant, she hasn't been a focal point of the story to date. Usually her appearances are used as a way to influence another character instead. Despite that, she's my lowkey favorite.
Seagloom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprisingly, if disappointingly, they went for a mostly anime original finale. Since elements from the just concluded arc were included, it is unlikely there will ever be a second season. That is a shame since this was a solid adaptation. While the manga wins on art, Riho Sugiyama's acting gave Minare a certain flair that will be missed.

I was hoping they would close out on Minare's first real conversation with Chishiro since it is not only comical, but revelatory about the latter character while still potentially offering some closure with just a few tweaks. The approach they did take is more uplifting and hopeful, however. I can see why they went with it instead.

Perhaps it is for the best as the next arc is a touch bizarre with some seriously iffy elements.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3