• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Film Delayed Due to COVID-19 Concerns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
1st and 2nd movies were great. 3rd movie went off the rails. I'll watch the 4th but honestly I am not expecting greatness at this point.

I too would be more interested in the TV Series on blu-ray along with D&R and EoE.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
With all the delays, does ANYONE care if this film releases anymore?!?

I'm eagerly anticipating it, although I will admit that I am a bit anxious about how it's going to end, if only because the FF7 Remake turned out to have a very similar "twist ending" to what I felt the Eva remake films' narratives were working towards (and I think it would have worked a lot better in Evangelion than it did in FF7). If it's anything like 3.0, though, I bet it will be a film that I will really enjoy and a noticeable portion of the fanbase will really dislike. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I would much rather get an authorized Blu ray release of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series

As would I.

Quote:
with the original English dub

Except not like this. The new dub is better acted, IMO, even if it has script quirks. Maybe if they had both dubs, it would be optimal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
masat01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Can't say this wasn't expected. Though it's nice to know that Hideaki Anno possibly watches Doctor Who: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_Upon_a_Time_(Doctor_Who)

Thrice Upon a Time is a classic sci-fi novel about time travel. Which makes since for Evangelion.
Doctor Who has been nothing but PC cringe every since Smith let.

It's Anno's custom to name the last installment of every series he directs with the title of a science fiction novel. He did it with Gunbuster Aim for the Top ("At the End of the Endless Stream" by Komatsu Sakyo, Nadia ("Inherit the Stars" by James P. Hogan), NGE ("The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World" by Harlan Ellison), and he's doing it now with Rebuild ("Thrice Upon A Time" by James P. Hogan)

Last edited by masat01 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:28 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

This one is not their fault though. They really had it ready but COVID happened.

You miss the point completely. COVID is beside the point.
The first film in the Rebuild series premiered in 2007!
Since then, every film in this series has been delayed for one reason or another.
The delays AND the aftermath of the third film (which was clumsily handled) have killed a lot of people's desire to finish this series

Well perhaps next time they could develop a sense of entitlement, grow a thicker skin and relax, instead obsessively demanding business to bend to their whims and growing ever more irrationally resentful towards the very thing that was supposed to bring them joy.

Look, would it have been nice if the Rebuild films were yearly releases, like Anno originally stated back in 2007? - Sure. Would it have been preferable if there wasn't a huge mess surrounding Funimation & Khara, leading to a significant delay in the western blu ray release? - Absolutely. But neither of those things happened so you can either put it from your mind and wait patiently, or stew over every perceived slight. As someone whose two all time favorite anime are Eva & Land of the Lustrous, I'm not unfamiliar with the grim sensation of seeing the things you love seemingly trapped in a perpetual limbo, but it's far healthier to have a more passive approach, rather than angrily plowing for news (or the lack thereof), like the gaming community did towards titles like The Last Guardian, FF Versus XIII, Shenmue 3 & Half Life 3 during the 00/10's.

Just put it from your mind and when it eventually comes out you'll all the more happily surprised.

You know... unless everyone hates it and the fandom completes its slow metamorphosis into Star Wars community levels of toxicity. Shocked
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Can't say this wasn't expected. Though it's nice to know that Hideaki Anno possibly watches Doctor Who: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twice_Upon_a_Time_(Doctor_Who)

Considering all the references to western media in the original series' episode names, it's probably not unintentional.

Edit: There's also an 1980 sci-fi novel of the same name.

Oh please, it's obvious that Anno's secretly a huge rap fan, and that the title is a reference to Outkast's 1998 track, Aquemini. And I quote:

"Twice upon a time there was a boy who died twice
And lived happily ever after, but that's another chapter"

You see. Not only is he making reference to Shinji's previous sacrifice (and potential future one, or if instrumentality takes place again), he's also saying that the Rebuild of Evangelion will end on a positive note.

Thanks, Anno. I'll see ya at the Flo Rida concert.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am Reply with quote
Shocked Pikachu Face.Png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first one while at NY Comic Con in '08, IIRC (my memory isn't what it used to be), and have held off on the rest all these years, waiting for the whole set to be out. Can barely even remember the first one now. I think I can stand to wait a few more months at this point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Since then, every film in this series has been delayed for one reason or another.
The delays AND the aftermath of the third film (which was clumsily handled) have killed a lot of people's desire to finish this series.
I mean no one is stopping you from just not watching it. There's lots of other anime out there to watch.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The production history of this set of four films has been a disaster.

This specific delay is understandable, but the larger context isn't.

The Rebuild project began circa 2007. It's now 2020. Over ten years to make four films is a joke.

Last edited by nightjuan on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
The production history of this set of four films has been a disaster.

This specific delay is understandable, but the larger context isn't.

The Rebuild project began circa 2007. It's now 2019. Over ten years to make four films is a joke.

Wasnt one of the movies (possibly this one) delayed because Anno worked on Shin Godzilla?
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Wasnt one of the movies (possibly this one) delayed because Anno worked on Shin Godzilla?

I suppose, but I think it's quite telling that Anno would rather work on Shin Godzilla.

I'd have more respect for him if he first completed this Rebuild project, finally ending his new Evangelion story once and for all, and then moved on to other types of productions, rather than simply dragging it out and pretending that's normal.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
With all the delays, does ANYONE care if this film releases anymore?!?

I would much rather get an authorized Blu ray release of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series with the original English dub plus the compilation films AND End of Evangelion than wait for the last of the reimagined quartet films by this point.

The delays killed most of the interest in the film series aside from questionable screenwriting.

Yes, many of us still care, thanks. Classic original DVD set owning fan here and I've been digging the Rebuilds, yes, even 3.0 whose abrupt direction I found most interesting, so I'm dying to see 4.0.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I don't mind the delay, I just hope to god Funimation is getting it because I don't want discontinuity with the dub cast.

I second this. Same for keeping the localization consistent. Don't want that Netflix version.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

This one is not their fault though. They really had it ready but COVID happened.

The delays AND the aftermath of the third film (which was clumsily handled) have killed a lot of people's desire to finish this series

Well perhaps next time they could develop a sense of entitlement, grow a thicker skin and relax, instead obsessively demanding business to bend to their whims and growing ever more irrationally resentful towards the very thing that was supposed to bring them joy.

I can't speak for everyone here, but entitlement has nothing to do with it in my book.
Gainax/Khara is free to make whatever films they want to make. They don't have to kowtow to my, or anyone else's, personal preferences. What they make is their decision. Art comes from the mind of the artist, not what they think someone else wants. But by the same token, we, the audience, don't have to like it just because it's part of a franchise we liked other parts of.

When I say that I have little interest in the 4th film I'm not saying that I wish they had done A and B instead of X and Y; I'm simply stating that what they did is not to my taste, explaining why, and that's totally OK. I don't need to complain about it, I can simply not watch it. Only reason why I posted here was to chime in and say that there are other people who share their opinion.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I give up. This film will never be released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4