• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Errata - the Shigofumi anime is actually the original work; the kanji for the novel author's name are taken from the names of the writers and producers behind the anime. They were simply published well in advance of the anime production.

Errata errata: Amamiya Ryo may well be an actual person; the above refers to the name given for "gensaku" credit on the anime, and the "gen'an" credit on the novels.
Kalium

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:
Lol is all I have to say. And companies complain about downloads. This is just promoting it in my opinion.

This is actually a very important point. Piracy is a problem, therefore they combat it by... making it even more economically favorable? Yeah. Bright like a dead light bulb.

Bandai is evidently bound to this contractually. I doubt they have much choice in the matter, or they wouldn't be so boneheaded about it. I expect that their sales will be remarkably low when these hit shelves.
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
That's the thing. No matter where anime is on your priority list, I could buy a wii(another in my case) for 270 dollars. I could almost buy a xbox 360. I could get 13+ brand new movies or like 25+ used movies. I could go to the theatre and get drinks/food like 12 times. I could buy a new large lcd monitor that I want.
I know, and nobody blames you. My PC is screaming for an update, but as long as I can play fansubs I'll be all right. But what you said--and what other people from this thread have been saying--just shows the poor job done by anime distributors on educating their customers. Instead, they played along with the "ethic" guidelines that were superimposed by conscious fans onto the rest of the anime community. They could've educated their customers for them to want to buy their products, now you have customers who mostly buy these products out of pity, and customers who don't give a damn either way. Sad.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Education would make people spend this kind of money? Can you...explain what you mean? To me, reasoning out the amount of hours of entertainment and tangible things I can get for 270$ by spending it elsewhere instead of getting True Tears seems to be weighing in that this would be a worthless purchase for myself. I know that I won't be getting exactly the same thing(obviously, if I buy things other than True Tears, I don't get to watch True Tears), but it just seems...not worth it.
Ruremi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
This is good news, I was enjoying these two series. The only problem I have is that waiting for these two to be released is still kind of long, but shorter than usual at least.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
What BV releases are probably titles that even if they had better prices would still sell in the hundreds anyways in today's market. So the high price is a little unusual, but it's still cheaper then Japanese prices, and it's subbed, so it's fine by me...... I see them as a way to get the series they produce other distributors pass on or might pass on. True Tears looks like something different, so it's all good.

Based off how Haruka's being done, it looks like they're pricing on a release by release basis- given 26 episode TV seires subbed on 8 releases was common in VHS days for 29.99, that release is pretty realistic given anime sales on many titles have dropped back to what they were when VHSes were still the main media.......
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Anime, like fiction of any medium or origin, is largely garbage. Bandai Visual is treating it like it's make of gold.

No matter how attractive a series may sound in the abstract, paying that much to find out if the proof is in the pudding is...inconceivable.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope some of the sub-only stuff BVUSA licensed gets dubbed by Bandai Entertainment...
Awaken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I never thought as an anime fan I would say this but this may be the first time that I don't feel sorry about downloading fansubs for an licensed product. Dare I say...I might actually download them with glee. Maybe that doesn't make me much of an anime fan but with prices like that (especially for 2 series that are just good because they are the best things coming out for a very mediocre season) is insane. Its times like this that just make me wish that the dying R1 industry would just die already and get it over with before I remember the "good old days" of being an anime fan.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is a pleasent surprise as far as speed of release, I mean this is a really good step in the right direction...the price needs quite a bit of work. This has sent me mixed feelings but you know if they find some way to get the price down, this will be a really good step.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
If they'd dial up the episode count per disc and don't increase the prices for the UK release I'll happily buy them. The only difference between this and a regular UK release is 1/2 eps rather than 3/4/5. Dub track is largely irrelevant to me; as long as none of the voices grate too terribly I'll play it in either language, subs or not. The absence of a dub is a no factor for me as the Japanese voices do the job.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping that BV wouldn't get ahold of Shigofumi. I was all up on buying this in America since I enjoy the fansubs, now that BV has it for a horrible price and not the best release I'll pass. For once I'm fully on the fansub lovers side.
Za_randomness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Every time, right after I shout for joy at a new license announcement, I cringe in fear to see if it's a Bandai title.

Granted, they pick some good titles, but they're more expensive than Criterion Collection movies. No matter how I look at it, two episodes of better-than-middling (and sometimes damned good) anime just can't justify the price or even the space a two-episode-a-DVD set would take up.

I recognize that the Criterion Collection and Bandai operate in somewhat different spheres, and that there are more imperfections in making an argument comparing the two, but their rationale is largely the same - we have the good stuff, so pay us more. From that angle, I just can't justify the price.

I watched the first two eps of Shigofumi and liked what I saw. It was slightly higher-quality than many shows as of late and even had a nice emotional payoff. Not $40 bucks worth, though.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling at this point, so, succinctly: Bandai's got good stuff, but not that good, and not for that price. Lose-lose for all.

Last edited by Za_randomness on Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This really, really, really bugs me. When will they stop? Now they're actually starting to license series that I may have gotten around to buying, but at 30-40 USD for a volume with one episode on it in both of these series release futures, this is f***ing ridiculous... I mean, I'm irritated enough when I have to buy four volumes for a 12-episode series, but seven volumes for a 13-episode series? This is beyond madness, and I don't care anymore if they are selling "just enough" to make it worthwhile for them, they are royally screwing over the rest of us that don't have money gushing out our asses to pay these outlandish prices.

And yes, I realize I can find them cheaper online, but even at discount, you're still looking at almost 10 dollars an episode for a 2-episode disc, and almost 20 dollars for the single episode disc. Insane...
low88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Expensive, but, i'm still getting shigofumi anyway. Need to starting saving money now...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8