• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Shigofumi, True Tears Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
All of these titles I'm very much so interested in buying.

I like the idea of paying the same price the Japanese do, just Bandai Visual better make sure the product will be worth it, I mean proper thick chipboard artboxes, lots of extras, everything, the works!

The delay time is absolutely great. This is the way forward, and I will support Bandai Visual all the way.

I think all the negative comments here are unnecessary and are doing absolutely nothing to help the industry, if you don't have the money to buy the releases then just leave it, don't complain. If you have the money then just buy them and don't complain - or witness your beloved industry fall flat on its face.

Most excellent news indeed. I'll also be buying the Yukikaze boxset, never-before-seen-footage sounds awesome, and even though I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, I will like to own a lovely boxset of it, having missed out on the first special releases. Likewise for a lot of other series I'm hoping to get a premium release in HD for what I missed in the original release.

EDIT: Just to reiterate what I think - Bandai Visual are the way forward, their items are top notch, and cater perfectly for the type of people they're trying to sell to. It seems to be working as well because they're one of the only companies I see not having financial issues.

Last edited by melonbread on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll be the first, this is expensive but it is up to my limit, almost breaking it but if I want something paying $30 for 2 episodes is something I can do, any higher then just no way. I'm interested on both and will probably get both. Anybody with me?
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Lol is all I have to say. And companies complain about downloads. This is just promoting it in my opinion.
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
Vortextk wrote:
True Tears:
Quote:
The first volume will ship with one episode on May 27 for US$29.99, and the next six volumes will ship with 2 episodes each for US$39.99. All volumes will have Japanese dialogue with English subtitles.

It really is amazing how fast it is going to be released but...come on. This isn't being cheap or complaining just to complain, but a sub only release(it seems) of 6 hours anime for 270$? I don't care how regular that is overseas, that's a fortune for barely anything.

That was my first thought too. I can afford it, but there is no way I'm going to be fleeced like that. Yeah the speed release is nice, but a sub only release of a show that is under 5 hours long for $270? I can buy an equivalent time in entertainment in full length movies for under $80. For $270 I can buy an entire box set of every season of live action or animated shows that have run for 5+ years. The full 7 seasons of West Wing only costs around $350 if you buy them as they release. Haven't these people ever heard of pricing yourself out of a market? Yeah, they may sell a few to the hardcore fans that want it asap, but they will alienate a huge chunk of fans in the process, and most of those hardcore fans anyway are just going to go download fansubs anyway. I do realize though that most of the cost has to do with the licensing, and trying to buy the rights to release it sooner, which is probably more expensive than usual licensing fees. But still, I can only imagine anime fans that are millionaires being willing to be fleeced this badly.

It's just crazy. 2 steps forward in one area, 3 steps back in another.

I was not upset when I saw that True Tears was licensed, but I was infuriated at the price. Unless Bandai is willing to try to shut down all the fansub sites, they had better be prepared to have NO ONE pay their extortive prices for a 13 episode anime. I could get both Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome for less than what they are going to sell True Tears for. I agree, crazy and sad.
Mmsven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for ruining 2 more anime series, Bandai Visual.

I'm not going to buy this sub-only, 1-episode crap they keep putting out.

Their excuse for high price was quality--then where is the dub? Extensive extras? Complex packaging? Their recent release, Freedom, was in a jewel case.
crilix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
EDIT: Just to reiterate what I think - Bandai Visual are the way forward, their items are top notch, and cater perfectly for the type of people they're trying to sell to. It seems to be working as well because they're one of the only companies I see not having financial issues.
I couldn't agree more and I will honor their efforts by buying True Tears at MSRP (to get the extras).

I'm a poor college student from some idiotic EU country that puts a 23,5% tax on all DVD imports if anyone cares. I know all of you you can do better to support your own anime industry. Where's the catch? I just allocate money to my priorities, and it just so happens that anime is at the top of my list.
caoboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
As much as people can afford this outrageous price for anime, but i must say, it is outrageous for the prices they are putting out. The average price for anime dubbed... (after the company put money into dubbing it) is around 20 -30 dollars for 4-5 episodes. The $40 mark was usually for special editions and even those had 4-5 episodes each, any economist would disagree with their current method of marketing and distributing goods. This will be an effictive tool to combat fansubbing, but it also will encourage more people to promote those fansubbers who disregards liscences.
Lemwon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and Bandai Visual USA says that their North American DVD releases will follow their Japanese DVD releases by only two months.

Hmm.. interesting. Either way I'll stop watching fansubs of both series. Glad Bandai got these.
But wow, True Tears as a two-episode release? Not worth it. Hoping for a boxset.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Errata - the Shigofumi anime is actually the original work; the kanji for the novel author's name are taken from the names of the writers and producers behind the anime. They were simply published well in advance of the anime production.
caoboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
cloud1989 wrote:
I guess I'll be the first, this is expensive but it is up to my limit, almost breaking it but if I want something paying $30 for 2 episodes is something I can do, any higher then just no way. I'm interested on both and will probably get both. Anybody with me?

btw... its 30 for the first episode and 40 for 2 episodes....>.>....
Vortextk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Where's the catch? I just allocate money to my priorities, and it just so happens that anime is at the top of my list.

That's the thing. No matter where anime is on your priority list, I could buy a wii(another in my case) for 270 dollars. I could almost buy a xbox 360. I could get 13+ brand new movies or like 25+ used movies. I could go to the theatre and get drinks/food like 12 times. I could buy a new large lcd monitor that I want.

Hell if you want to stick with the anime priority model, as other people have said, I could buy a few boxsets of 26 episode anime for this much.

It may be true that this is the only way to keep the industry alive after Geneon and if something happens to ADV with the mess on their website right now. I can't fault the company if this is the only business model making enough money to stay afloat. Regardless though, this is extremely expensive for the little you're getting.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather spend my cash on Super Smash Bros. Brawl than this overpriced sub-only drivel.
caoboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
here's an idea... the japanese companies can release english subs over there and we can import them here, it might be cheaper....=.=
hentai4me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow...almost the equivalent of a UK release. UK release is £20 (≈$40) for 3/4/5 eps (depending on series).

That was the traditional price, you can get anime a little bit cheaper now at around £15 (≈$30) and the UK citizen is not really richer than the US.

BBC wrote:
However, because goods and services are cheaper in the US, Americans will have stronger purchasing power, it added.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7174372.stm

So yeah...when/if this gets a UK release we'll be even worse off than you USians...
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Of course they wait just long enough for me to get addicted to both series. Rolling Eyes At least I don't have to pay the shipping costs for R2s.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8