• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Progress Technologies Opens Website for Fist of the North Star eBook

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:57 am Reply with quote
So you have a proprietary format which is incompatible with any other devices or industry standards, tied to a relatively obscure company/publisher.

No ability to download, instead you have to buy a 'book'/cartridge which contains the digital versions.

You can't connect to a computer so no way to make backups.

No rechargeable battery.

The one innovative idea of it is you can switch languages, but there's nothing stopping you implementing something similar on existing readers/tablets with a layered system.
Probably the only reason there isn't one is about the only use-case would be for manga with a rather niche customer-base. (disclaimer, I wouldn't mind that for my reader or tablet so I probably belong in that category...)

How the heck did this get kickstarter-funded in the first place? Just the allure of Fist of the North Star? Confused ...
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:29 am Reply with quote
As someone who backed this, I can say that's entirely the reason. And heck, the one I got through the Kickstarter reads ONLY Fist of the North Star. It doesn't have a cartridge port.

Then again, I'm pretty happy with that. I've wanted the series on my shelf for so long, and the faux book housing looks really cool. The price was also probably what print book would've run me if I went that route. I'm pretty shocked the Naruto one got funded, though.

Anyhow, rumor has it tha TV the old men who made the manga wanted the device to be as piracy-proof as possible.

Also, the batteries last a long-ass time in it.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Why can't they just release the damn thing outside of the ebook?? It's already translated for crying out loud.

Edit: According to this Coamix (the manga's owners) are just so terrified of piracy they lock the license down from being released here: https://twitter.com/DarylSurat/status/1224765708229324801

For god's sake Japan, cut this crap out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1