• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: WIT Studio's Great Pretender Con Man Anime's Video Reveals Cast, More Staff, Char

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:34 pm Reply with quote
donhumberto wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Are you seriously that hung-up on the delay instead of focusing on the show that looks very interesting? Get your priorities straight, people.

+1000
To be honest, all this whining about Netflix EVERY SINGLE TIME any show is announced to be in Netflix is getting tiresome... oh, well Rolling Eyes
Anyways, as for the series itself, this looks really promising. Kinda wish it was a bit less colorful and light-hearted (at least, judging by the PV...) but I am certainly looking forward to this.

So like, you don't like fun?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Are you seriously that hung-up on the delay instead of focusing on the show that looks very interesting? Get your priorities straight, people.

Except we live in the internet age and japanese people post spoilers on twitter and pixiv just like everyone else so yeah, f*ck netflix delays.
I say pirate it but once it's finally released put it on so it gets the legal views.

You simply avoid them instead. It's that easy.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
donhumberto wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

+1000
To be honest, all this whining about Netflix EVERY SINGLE TIME any show is announced to be in Netflix is getting tiresome... oh, well Rolling Eyes
Anyways, as for the series itself, this looks really promising. Kinda wish it was a bit less colorful and light-hearted (at least, judging by the PV...) but I am certainly looking forward to this.

So like, you don't like fun?

Honestly, if I made a top 50 of my favorite series ever (anime or otherwise) I wouldn't put any comedies in it so... yeah, I guess you could say that. I mean, I'm ok with something like Lupin (probably the closest comparison I can think of with this series, at least from that PV and plot summary) but it's not the kind of stuff I'd ever consider a favorite of mine or anything... to each their own I guess Confused
dragon695

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Yes, yes I am. I think the show looks awesome, but when most shows are being streamed hours to days after being broadcast, this causes a problem for many fans. I think the one that gets me the most is that it cripples episodic discussion, which is more enjoyable when you have more people involved. When a show that you really think looks interesting goes into Netflix jail, you either set sail or you wait. The former gets to discuss it on an episodic basis and gets to pioneer the western fandom while the latter is forced to focus on other shows and hope they don’t get spoiled. The former tend to move on by the time the latter get to see the show. You can blame it on fansubs, but that won’t change. Netflix has a choice, there is no good reason to region jail it other than adherence to a peculiar model.

I mean, I got sick of being spoiled by Beastars fans that I broke down and bought the English volumes and Japanese volumes since I can muddle my way through with furigana. At least then I felt justification in watching fansubs. But I shouldn’t have to do that! Not in this day and age when every other service is either simulcasting or near simulcasting.

If Netflix surprises us, great. Honestly, for a show that is set in LA, it has potential for crossover appeal from our fandom. What I fear is that being released at an abnormal time and not in an episodic manner will detract from the discussion and buzz that generates around it. It’s delayed far enough in the future that it goes back to the old days of splitting the legal and illegal viewing in the fandom.

scowler wrote:
Any actual good show will be popular regardless of Netflix's approach. Carole and Tuesday is doing just fine in the US, for example, and so will Beastars most likely.

Meanwhile, anyone resorting to fansubs has no business declaring themselves a fan of the show they are pirating. Just be patient.

I disagree. I guess time will tell, but not having episodic review coverage over months in the the anime media decreases exposure. Sure, the best of the best will win by word of mouth, but Beastars isn’t really that exceptional. It really isn’t fair to it to make people wait until March. The only positive is that it is split cour, so perhaps it can shine.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
yeehaw wrote:
Except we live in the internet age and japanese people post spoilers on twitter and pixiv just like everyone else so yeah, f*ck netflix delays.
I say pirate it but once it's finally released put it on so it gets the legal views.

You simply avoid them instead. It's that easy.

Obviously you don’t interact in the fandom regularly on other sites and social media. What if it gets really good? Spoilers will be inevitable. We’ve seen this before when legal streaming wasn’t a thing, but in the age of twitter it is worse. People have a right to be upset that they are paying for inferior service. I’d rather see it go to Crunchyroll/Funimation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2