• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BEASTARS Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:50 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I admit I can't help but be sad about this as I feel this greatly diminishes the chances of a Season 2 for Land of the Lustrous. But good for the fans of this one.

It's been over 2 years now. If it was going to happen, it probably would have already. Furries have very deep pockets so it makes sense to prioritize them. The CG prevents me from watching it myself, but I've heard the anime adaption cuts a lot of stuff from the manga though, which I have read.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
I admit I can't help but be sad about this as I feel this greatly diminishes the chances of a Season 2 for Land of the Lustrous. But good for the fans of this one.

It's been over 2 years now. If it was going to happen, it probably would have already.

Not true, sometimes studios can have schedules set in place and/or the original source material isn't far ahead enough just yet. This is most likely why it took 3 years for a Season 2 announcement for both Attack on Titan and Re:Zero

It's possible the Beastars manga sells high enough they already had a 2nd season planned. I admit my first post was a little more pessimistic than it needed to be, I still think Land of the Lustrous has a good chance of getting a 2nd season since from what I've read the Blu-Rays sold well in Japan. Besides, in a world where Full Metal Panic gets another season after well over a decade, Magical Index gets another one after a pretty long gap as well, and Fruits Basket gets a reboot nearly two decades later, I think only 2 years (and it's only "over" those 2 years by like 3 days, come on) isn't enough time to assume "it's probably not happening".
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

It's been over 2 years now. If it was going to happen, it probably would have already. Furries have very deep pockets so it makes sense to prioritize them. The CG prevents me from watching it myself, but I've heard the anime adaption cuts a lot of stuff from the manga though, which I have read.

Wait the Land of the lustrous or Beastars anime adaptation cuts a lot from the manga?

Also fine if you don't like CG, but with how great Orange is at handling CG, I think it's your loss. I'm not a fan of full CG normally, but I think this studio does an amazing job, and I just have to enjoy the adaptions that they do for what they are. Instead of focusing on what they are not.
turboFriend

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:59 pm Reply with quote
After today's episode, I'm done with this series. Houseki no Kuni should have gotten a second season instead.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:03 pm Reply with quote
While it does feel a little unfair to go into another show's forum to complain about the lack of another, especially given Orange's probable lack of control over the situation, I have to be one of the chorus bemoaning the immediacy of this sequel while we're now at 2+ years without an update on Land of the Lustrous S2. I'm still not convinced we'll never get more, but for every year that passes, the likelihood of a continuation gets smaller and smaller.

Maybe it wouldn't sting as much if I had anywhere near the same affection towards Beastars as I do towards LandLust. I mean it's not that I don't find the show an impressive watch, but as the episodes dragged on it became clear that the stellar internalized character writing was struggling to prop up the clunky or non-existent narrative beats (didn't this show start out as a murder-mystery?) and slightly ham-fisted love triangle. Meanwhile, my fascination with Land of the Lustrous has only grown over the years, to the point I easily consider it my show of the decade, in addition to buying the licensed manga volumes, and even picking up both Studio Orange's & Haruko Ichikawa's art books for the franchise. This is a show that demands a proper follow up.

I'm still holding out hope that the lack of updates is due to the amount of new assets that will need to be created show a sequel ever be announced, or that if the scanlation crowd's belief that the story is beginning to wrap up is correct, means we might get a FMA:B or Oregairu situation, where both the book and adaptation are planned to finish simultaneously. Of course at this point this is purely speculation based on blind hope so who knows.
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Wait the Land of the lustrous or Beastars anime adaptation cuts a lot from the manga?

Also fine if you don't like CG, but with how great Orange is at handling CG, I think it's your loss. I'm not a fan of full CG normally, but I think this studio does an amazing job, and I just have to enjoy the adaptions that they do for what they are. Instead of focusing on what they are not.
Dont know about Land of the lustrous but Beastars didn't cut too much of important stuff. There was one specific scene that im sad wasnt included and was a little bit important but overall they did a good job.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:30 pm Reply with quote
turboFriend wrote:
After today's episode, I'm done with this series. Houseki no Kuni should have gotten a second season instead.

Hot take.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
While it does feel a little unfair to go into another show's forum to complain about the lack of another, especially given Orange's probable lack of control over the situation, I have to be one of the chorus bemoaning the immediacy of this sequel while we're now at 2+ years without an update on Land of the Lustrous S2. I'm still not convinced we'll never get more, but for every year that passes, the likelihood of a continuation gets smaller and smaller.

Maybe it wouldn't sting as much if I had anywhere near the same affection towards Beastars as I do towards LandLust. I mean it's not that I don't find the show an impressive watch, but as the episodes dragged on it became clear that the stellar internalized character writing was struggling to prop up the clunky or non-existent narrative beats (didn't this show start out as a murder-mystery?) and slightly ham-fisted love triangle. Meanwhile, my fascination with Land of the Lustrous has only grown over the years, to the point I easily consider it my show of the decade, in addition to buying the licensed manga volumes, and even picking up both Studio Orange's & Haruko Ichikawa's art books for the franchise. This is a show that demands a proper follow up.

I'm still holding out hope that the lack of updates is due to the amount of new assets that will need to be created show a sequel ever be announced, or that if the scanlation crowd's belief that the story is beginning to wrap up is correct, means we might get a FMA:B or Oregairu situation, where both the book and adaptation are planned to finish simultaneously. Of course at this point this is purely speculation based on blind hope so who knows.

Ham Fisted? Really? Also murder mystery? Since when was Tem's murder ever the focus?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Given how much hype there has been for Beastars, a second season was likely already planned from the start. Also Land of the Lustrous ran in a monthly magazine while Beastars is weekly so they likely didn't have enough material back then to make a second season right away. Also recall that anime studios were all filled up until 2020 according to that big report from a few years ago.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

Dont know about Land of the lustrous but Beastars didn't cut too much of important stuff. There was one specific scene that im sad wasnt included and was a little bit important but overall they did a good job.

Likewise, the Land of the Lustrous adaptation was also incredibly faithful to the manga, so I really have no idea what they're talking about. The only alteration in anime made was skipping the middle chapters of volume five as it sought to find a suitable cut-off point for the show, but as those chapters introduce Ghost, who is both initially isolated from the rest of the cast and starts the beginning of an entirely new set of events, it makes sense to remove those scenes instead of introducing a new plot thread right before the end. There's no reason why the second season couldn't go back to that sequence; in fact it would be pretty much impossible to continue without doing so. Without them you don't get Cairngorm, who is pivotal to future events.

fantaselion wrote:
Ham Fisted? Really? Also murder mystery? Since when was Tem's murder ever the focus?

Yeah, I would genuinely call the triangle on the cliche side. I love how all the characters interact individually with each other, but by introducing that aspect, it forces their resentments, biases and insecurities to go down much more safe and preordained route than how they behaved before both Legosi & Louis became aware of each other's interest in Haru. Meanwhile, her identity concerns seem destined to be intertwined with making a choice over who she loves, which is far less interesting to me.

As for Tem's murder, I do think the fallout from that was indeed the central focus of the initial few episodes, with the grief and paranoia that emanated from that swallowing the entire school. It's not like I was expecting the show to become a full-on detective drama, but for the school to easily settle back into its slightly tense malaise, given that no culprit is ever revealed, seems somewhat unrealistic given how close the social stratification is to breaking point. Beastars could definitely be better at weaving its characters to an overarching story, saving us from out of nowhere scenarios like kidnapping lion mafias.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Yeah they sure killed it with those Star Wars movies. Oh wait...
And those live action remakes, woof. They made money, I guess.
And Frozen 2... Is a movie that exists.

Yeah Disney hasn't been doing great lately.

Disney hasn't made anything good (sans live action Jungle Book) since Meet the Robinsons if you ask me. And I don't get the love for Zootopia, I've seen parts of it, I get the message of what it's trying to teach, but to me it's totally unfunny, feels more like a bad Dreamworks or Blue Sky film, I'm not a fan of the political nature of it (hate politics in general), yet everyone and their mother seems to love it because it's a furry movie and such. And I don't need to say anything about the Gazelle scene.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure why there’s a comparison between Zootopia and Beastars to begin with when they only seem to have superficial similarity. But there’s been plenty of other recent similar anthro themed anime like Aggretsuko and Africa Salaryman.
shukujo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:16 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Sounds interesting. In my opinion, however, Zootopia tells stories of anthropomorphic animals better. It's Disney, they're masters of their craft.

Disney could not and would not tackle this story, not ever. There's too much sex, blood, violence, and real substance to this one. It's surprisingly hard-hitting. I can't wait for next season.

Zootopia, on the other hand, is a PG-rated movie, with a likely target age demographic of 12-15 years old. Beastars would never make the PG rating cut. Its target demographic is at LEAST 5-7 years higher than Zootopia's, if not 10.

Comparing those two works is like comparing apples to oranges - both fruit, but completely different kinds.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
shukujo wrote:

Zootopia, on the other hand, is a PG-rated movie, with a likely target age demographic of 12-15 years old. Beastars would never make the PG rating cut. Its target demographic is at LEAST 5-7 years higher than Zootopia's, if not 10.

Beastars is actually a shonen, not a seinen.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:57 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
shukujo wrote:

Beastars is actually a shonen, not a seinen.

So is "The Promised Neverland" But even that is mostly considered a Seinen by its fans. (Shounen mostly by product of the magazine its in)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3