• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Stream Sorcerous Stabber Orphen, A3!, Smile Down the Runway Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:52 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
paulchaested wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

According to MAL Quintuplets is supposed to be out in January. Also disappointing about In/Spectre. Would have been a good dub

CR coproduced this anime, and since they’ve been dubbing more anime recently it most likely will get dubbed. Probably give it to Bang Zoom or something.

Should have been more specific. Would have been a good FUNI dub. BangZoom dubs are meh to me.

Funimation and crunchyroll have made a point to keep working together on newer seasons of shows they already worked on together I dont see this being any different and fully expect a funimation simuldub. (I will be shocked if there isnt one)

Then prepare to be shocked because IIRC there werent any this season. The only shows they shared to my knowledge were the Aniplex ones. The deal ran out about a season or two ago.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:35 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I look forward to the Orphen dub. David Matranga I assume will return. Hopefully Shelley Calene-Black as well.
Wasn't sure how much Houston -> Forth Worth travel they do for Funimation dubs, but I guess Matranga has been in Funimation stuff like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. Calene-Black has been in a few Funi dubs, but mainly titles like Sekirei and Master of Martial Hearts -- which were done during a time of dub work scarcity in Houston, before Sentai recovered its footing.
Either way, it'd be great if they returned, but Orphen in English sadly won't be the same without the highly liberal script-writing of Steven Foster and Kathleen Moynihan. Even if Foster hadn't left the anime scene, it's unlikely that licensors insisting on spellings like "Claiomh" would allow that kind of fast-and-loose adaptation these days.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:13 am Reply with quote
I actually thought Sentai would get Sorcerous Stabber Orphen as they have the license to the older shows, but I guess it is a big enough title that Funimation were not going to let it pass.

As for the cast, David Matranga and Shelley Calene-Black seem like sure bets. I wonder if Spike Spencer will have any interest in returning as from the out-takes he didn't seem all that interested. John Swasey and Hilary Haag both played the Dwarfs, but unlike FMP I do not know if Hillary will have enough interest to return to this(wasn't this her only male role). Jason Douglas works at Funimation so that would be easy.

As for everyone else, well I can see them doing a lot of recasting. It's not a show I ever see any VA ever bring up at interviews. So interest in the show seems low.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:46 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Levonr wrote:
I look forward to the Orphen dub. David Matranga I assume will return. Hopefully Shelley Calene-Black as well.
Wasn't sure how much Houston -> Forth Worth travel they do for Funimation dubs, but I guess Matranga has been in Funimation stuff like Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia. Calene-Black has been in a few Funi dubs, but mainly titles like Sekirei and Master of Martial Hearts -- which were done during a time of dub work scarcity in Houston, before Sentai recovered its footing.
Either way, it'd be great if they returned, but Orphen in English sadly won't be the same without the highly liberal script-writing of Steven Foster and Kathleen Moynihan. Even if Foster hadn't left the anime scene, it's unlikely that licensors insisting on spellings like "Claiomh" would allow that kind of fast-and-loose adaptation these days.

IIRC Matranga and Emily Neves moved to Dallas a year or two ago so he shouldnt be hard to get to come back.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
David Matranga posted on Twitter about this when it was first announced and he's very eager to voice Orphen again so I'll be surprised if not shocked if they don't announce his participation.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The more news that comes out with the Orphen reboot, the more it makes me want to pull out my PS2 and play Orphen Scion of Sorcery.

Can't wait to watch the new anime. :3
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Would be nice to get Spike Spencer, but I don't think he might be interested in reprising this role. And as I recall his dubbing of Majic did not leave a lasting impression on the fans. Even I as a fan felt this one of his weaker roles.

Jason Douglas BETTER play that goddamn dwarf though! He was arguably the best part!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Jason Douglas BETTER play that goddamn dwarf though! He was arguably the best part!
He played Childman in the original. Volkan, the dwarf, was voiced by John Swasey.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Levonr wrote:

If the most recent season of Full Metal Panic proved anything, it’s that Funimation has now forsaken the actor boundaries and is perfectly content bringing back all the Houston actors. It’ll remain to be seen whether or not they’ll also try to emulate the original’s dub or go literal, but I don’t think many people miss Foster at all.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
paulchaested wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

According to MAL Quintuplets is supposed to be out in January. Also disappointing about In/Spectre. Would have been a good dub

CR coproduced this anime, and since they’ve been dubbing more anime recently it most likely will get dubbed. Probably give it to Bang Zoom or something.

Should have been more specific. Would have been a good FUNI dub. BangZoom dubs are meh to me.

All the Crunchy dubs I've heard so far have been pretty good/solid, so I expect the same for In/Spectre.

Considering they've had an episode ready to premiere at last Anime Expo makes me curious if they'll have the dub ready sooner then usual.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
paulchaested wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Funimation and crunchyroll have made a point to keep working together on newer seasons of shows they already worked on together I dont see this being any different and fully expect a funimation simuldub. (I will be shocked if there isnt one)

Then prepare to be shocked because IIRC there werent any this season. The only shows they shared to my knowledge were the Aniplex ones. The deal ran out about a season or two ago.

You misread the statement it's any shows they previously collaborated on

Example black clover is still airing with both companies.

Legend of the galactic heroes season 2 aired/is airing on both still

They both continue to collaborate with season 2 of radiant.

(I'm pretty sure there are others but this still makes my point)

WITH ALL OF THOSE AIRING AFTER THE CRUNCHYROLL/FUNIMATION AGREEMENT BEING DISCONTINUED THEN WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO IMAGINE THEM CONTINUING TO SHARE SEASON 2 OF QUINTISSENTIAL QUINTUPLETS (WHICH BY THE WAY THEY AIRED TOGETHER WHEN SEASON 1 AIRED)
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Calm down, Marc probably thought you were talking about spectre

Last edited by getchman on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:52 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
He played Childman in the original. Volkan, the dwarf, was voiced by John Swasey.

Sorry, I got those two mixed up. Thank you.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:50 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLab has (finally) announced they are showing all 3
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:47 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Katakana is phonetic. Her name's written as クリーオウ which is Ku Rii O U. Kinda weird to have a U sound there IMO. クリーオ is how you write the regular name "Cleo" so this would be Cleou? Cleooo? If the 'a' is supposed to make it pronounced Clay-oh it'd be written differently to reflect that. I mean, you can always fudge katakana spelling by saying the letters are silent, in this case the 'a' the 'i' the 'm' and the 'h'. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen arbitrary silent letters in anime names. Plus the series has a lot of weird anglo-westernized names like Childman Powerfield so it could just be a writer quirk.

"Claíomh" is the Gaelic word for "sword", and, in the Munster dialect, it's basically pronounced the same as クリーオウ. Trying to pronounce it like an English word will just hurt your head.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3