• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 3D CG Anime's Teaser Reveals Spring 2020 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime was a mistake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
This looks horrible.
They should have asked the studio that did Houseki no Kuni or Khara how to do 3DAnime.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:31 am Reply with quote
It would be better if she didn´t look 20 but I can be excited about a Netflix anime project for once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:14 am Reply with quote
Motoko has turned into some idol.. a bunch of artists get interested in characters more than story and they end up making them as cute as possible..
Banshou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
Am I the only bothered by how much everyone is focusing on the way this looks, when Stand Alone Complex was never really a show that prioritized visuals?
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:36 am Reply with quote
aodmisery wrote:
it looks horrible in my opinion. gits art is all about all the detail in the background this has none. it looks like im watching a toddlers clay looking cartoon

Agreed, the lack of detail sticks out like a sore thumb. And it's not just static details that are missing, it's motion too. When Motoko's 'dune buggy' skids to a stop there are so many details missing: why do the tires look uniformly shaped instead of showing a bulge where they touch the ground? Why don't those tires flex a little when she gets out of the vehicle? (They made the suspension bounce, but not the rubber tire) Why is there no skid mark or smoke effect to go with the screeching tires? This looks like low-budget CG from a long long time ago. And frankly, it's a huge disappointment. I know that Innocence is not well loved by all GITS fans, but its CG is orders of magnitude better than this trailer, and that's embarrassing given that Innocence is what, 15 years old at this point?

I expect better from GITS.

@Banshou
I agree that SAC didn't have the greatest visuals, but I do think they were better than this. And this is especially bad given GitS's stellar CG in earlier shows.
Lann

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:37 am Reply with quote
Banshou wrote:
Am I the only bothered by how much everyone is focusing on the way this looks, when Stand Alone Complex was never really a show that prioritized visuals?

Visuals are all we have to go on for now. Its an indicator that the rest of the production could be as troubling.
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:51 am Reply with quote
Banshou wrote:

SAC never "prioritized visuals" because it didn't have to; the team creating it operated at such a high level of competence that Kamiyama and the screenwriters could just concentrate on telling good stories. This trailer calls the team's visual competence into question, so these reactions are 100% valid. So far, this is a major (heh) disappointment, especially after seeing the nice-looking Motoko character art earlier.
Rainrix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
That looks...pretty terrible.
Banshou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:49 am Reply with quote
Greg Aubry wrote:
SAC never "prioritized visuals" because it didn't have to[...]This trailer calls the team's visual competence into question...

Not trying to start an argument, but if visuals were not a priority, why does visual competence matter, then?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:57 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Banshou wrote:

Visuals are all we have to go on for now. Its an indicator that the rest of the production could be as troubling.

We also have the random jab at capitalism in the video description; so I lost most of my hopes for the plot as well if that gets reflected into the production. The cg looks pretty bad, I said evangelion in school quality, but this being a netflix show it's more like the crappy saint seiya cg series they released recently.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Well I don't have much to add to this, everyone else has basically summed up my thoughts on this.
ronri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote
Not really keen on this artist's fan work and I always felt that their style was a mismatch for GitS. Moving past that, the CG quality of this teaser alone doesn't look promising.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
We also have the random jab at capitalism in the video description; so I lost most of my hopes for the plot as well if that gets reflected into the production.

I'm not sure how "after global capitalism has defaulted" is a jab at capitalism more than just simply stating part of the setting. That being said, GITS: SAC didn't really shy away from political themes at all, so I would expect similar here.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I like how everyone is judging this based on a couple of seconds of teaser footage. And over analyzing every little detail, down to the f***ing car tires.

Such a great community. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Even if the art is dreadful, I'm anxious for more GitS: SAC, I loved that anime, and its setting.

And yes, if we keep up our ways, global capitalism will default.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5