• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Sentai recently posted this comment:

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who has shown their support for those impacted by the tragedy at KyoAni. Together, we can bring light to this incredibly dark time. We are partnering with GoFundMe to ensure that the funds raised are safely distributed. The money will remain on hold while we coordinate how they will reach those in need. Please continue to share and donate, if you can.

Donations currently total some $700,000 from over 21,000 contributors.

Outstanding, I am so happy to see that people are pulling together
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:31 am Reply with quote
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am Reply with quote
A while back I was watching an NHK English program on fire safety and they had shown multiple types of things that office buildings had or would have to get people out of a building with several floors.

But having those things in the building is not the same as knowing how to use them, or being able to locate them quickly, they might have had a ladder rope but it might have been only one on the second floor, or out of reach. As bad as it was to have a terrorist(it was an act of terror) light the building on fire, something is telling me that it's possible fewer people could have died. We won't know without a complete investigation and that could take months.

I can't even imagine the loss right now(it's likely immense, from the loss of lives, experts in their field, and all of the film, tape, posters, production art, etc.), but I hope the other studios devote a little bit of time to fire safety.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:

Outstanding, I am so happy to see that people are pulling together
Hopefully much of that will be donated to help with the funerals by the surviving families in fairness, as I'm sure the building and contents will have been covered by some insurance.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hopefully much of that will be donated to help with the funerals by the surviving families in fairness, as I'm sure the building and contents will have been covered by some insurance.

Also worth nothing that Japan has a national health insurance system that covers all full-time residents. None of the survivors will wind up with crippling medical bills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
drakinosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I would pay to see the perpetrator slowly drawn and quartered, or maybe burned in live oil. Thank god Japan still has the death penalty.
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 pm Reply with quote
A terrible tragedy, the loss of life was huge. Why would someone do this?
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
drakinosh wrote:
I would pay to see the perpetrator slowly drawn and quartered, or maybe burned in live oil. Thank god Japan still has the death penalty.

The Japanese justice system is messed up. They rely heavily on forced confessions.

And condemned prisoners don't know when they will be executed. They only find out the morning of. Imagine living like that, not knowing if today is the day you'll be taken to the gallows.

And torture makes us no better than criminals.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 pm Reply with quote
drakinosh wrote:

I understand the sentiment, but I'd rather he live and have to deal with the consequences of his actions in the Japanese prison system. It's not a fun place (I visited one once for a class). And mostly, it's got a HUGE focus on reflection. He'll probably be put on death row anyway, so he's not going to be seeing light outside the prison. Either way, even a slow death is too disproportionately in his favor. Let him live with his crime.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
TheTsunami wrote:
ANN Staff, I know you have frequently posted articles for crap Yamakan says for attention, but I am begging you to not make an article for his comments on this tragedy.

On his twitter, he told another famous director you may have heard of, Makoto Shinkai, to 'Shut Up', when Shinkai wished for the safety for the people at Kyoani...

this yama whatever guy may pull a crime like this one day, he has serious mental issues.
laceblade

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 pm Reply with quote
What an unfathomable tragedy. Thinking about the victims and survivors, their families, and their coworkers. Senseless, horrific.
SourOkapi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This is so heartbreaking Crying or Very sad
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone burn down an animation studio? That´s the part that gets me. There was a semi-comprehensible reason why Charlie Hebdo was attacked or why South Park ep. 200/201 lead to credible death treads but Kyoto Animation makes the most milk toast mass-market shows ever. He might as well have targeted Disney.

I wouldn´t be surprised if the studio dissolves after the attack by the domestic terrorist. Death threats against Japanese entertainment personnel will likely be treated differently after this. This news lastly made it on German TV, BBC and so on. Meaning that this is a national tragedy for Japan. At least 33 people dead! That´s not something I ever expected to read on ANN unless an earthquake happened. RIP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
That being said, none of this changes the fact that what happened to KyoAni is horrifying & tragic in a way that's honestly hard to put into words. We can only hope the studio can recover from this & eventually return to being what it became so beloved for.

{Edit}: I removed part of your post because arguing and debating such topics at this point is in extremely bad taste. Don't do it. ~ Psycho 101
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely horrible; I'm going to do a piece on pixv to show my condolences; same as the 2011 tsunami....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11