• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Department: 33 People Confirmed Dead in Kyoto Animation Fire (Updated)

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsuki-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
mpg13

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:32 am Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:
As I posted in the previous thread:

Please do not post any rumors or unverified information in this thread. We at ANN are monitoring the situation and will be updating our articles and posting new ones as soon as we are sure all the information we are reporting on is credible and accurate.

We know everyone is still reeling and processing from this disaster. But spreading unverified rumors will only make the situation worse in both the short and long term.

Links to articles that might have credible new information about the situation are definitely OK.

Thank you.

Edit: ANN is already aware of a Go Fund Me set up by Sentai Filmworks to raise funds for Kyoto Animation, but we have decided not to report on that or provide a link to it until Sentai Filmworks has confirmed with ANN how the funds will be used and that Kyoto Animation has agreed to accept the funds.

I would hope that Sentai's Go Fund Me is for the victims and their families. Sentai should make it clear if that's the case.
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
I want to send my deepest condolences to Kyo Ani, the entire anime industry, and to Japan in entirety for this terrible incident. I feel terribly for their suffering this horrible and senseless violence the current society unleashed on this group of people who only wanted to entertain and delight their audience.
Takagami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Takagami wrote:

According to NHK, 12 were men, 20 women and one unknown.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190718/k10011996791000.html
gacha

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
People allegedly (as in the motive of the arsonist) died over fiction.

This wasn’t a disgruntled employee, some sort of weird scheme, but a mentally disturbed man allegedly upset over their content.

It is sickening.
I don't know where you've heard that but everywhere I've seen it (allegedly) says that he was screaming "copycats" when police got him so it's more of a weird revenge story over a stolen content and ideas not a crazy anime fan like you keep implying.

Last edited by gacha on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Went to work and read this, saw video on Twitter.....words can not....floored....sad...my condolences to all who's family and friends are victims and swift recovery to all who are injured Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Maukadragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:09 am Reply with quote
I can’t imagine the pain those people went through, being burned alive is one of the worst ways to go.
Halko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Maukadragon wrote:
I can’t imagine the pain those people went through, being burned alive is one of the worst ways to go.

Most deaths in a fire isnt from the fire itself but rather smoke inhalation. Shortness of breath leading to headaches and disorientation into unconsciousness then death. The only way someone went out in actual fire is if there was an actual explosion and fireball.

Those that died most likely didn't go in an agonizing way. Its not much comfort though.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:16 am Reply with quote
What the Hell!?
Why would anyone just set off a random fire? Crying or Very sad
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
BlueRex666 wrote:
What the Hell!?
Why would anyone just set off a random fire? Crying or Very sad
It was premeditated and planned, the f***er didn't just set of a random fire, he seems to have had some petty grudge against the studio and [expletive] killed 33 people over it.

Edited slightly for language. --Crisha
juusee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
33people... that's roughly half of the people within the building. Even if the crime was pre-meditated and planned out, I wonder how the death count got so high in the first place. Did the fire spread really quickly onto the upper floors?

What's even more sickening are the responses of many people from outside the anime-community. I've browsed a bit on Facebook and people seem to be having fun making jokes about "why didn't they Naruto run out of the building?" to "at least there's less anime". People get worked up over murders of a single person and then there's those who take the chance to make jokes out of this because it's anime-related.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:

It was premeditated and planned, the fucker didn't just set of a random fire, he seems to have had some petty grudge against the studio and [expletive] killed 33 people over it.

That makes it WORST! Crying or Very sad
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:43 am Reply with quote
Dear God.

May the souls of those who died find peace. This is heartbreaking.
Changeman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:13 am Reply with quote
juusee wrote:
33people... that's roughly half of the people within the building. Even if the crime was pre-meditated and planned out, I wonder how the death count got so high in the first place. Did the fire spread really quickly onto the upper floors?

What's even more sickening are the responses of many people from outside the anime-community. I've browsed a bit on Facebook and people seem to be having fun making jokes about "why didn't they Naruto run out of the building?" to "at least there's less anime". People get worked up over murders of a single person and then there's those who take the chance to make jokes out of this because it's anime-related.

We live in an age where on the internet there are several not-so-nice-people. So although it is sad, in reality there are many people who are happy with this tragedy.
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Maukadragon wrote:

Most deaths in a fire isnt from the fire itself but rather smoke inhalation. Shortness of breath leading to headaches and disorientation into unconsciousness then death. The only way someone went out in actual fire is if there was an actual explosion and fireball.

Those that died most likely didn't go in an agonizing way. Its not much comfort though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nhk_news/status/1151854392900870145

20 bodies found piled in the stairwell near the roof door.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11