• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Hell's Bells

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Apterous wrote:
Quote:
Adapted from Osamu Tezuka's manga of the same name, the series has 25 episodes...

Err, actually, Phoenix just has 13 episodes. Unless you have 12 more secret episodes that were withheld from the public that will never see the light of day, and you will review them but never release them so that we will instead have to fill that hole in our Tezuka-loving, meaning-of-life-craving souls with... Suzuka.

Oops, you and Gatsu are totally right about that. When I looked it up in the encyclopedia, the first number my eye caught was the runtime per episode. ^^;; Thanks for the correction!
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote...

Quote:
I don't personally believe it's an "over-reactive defense". Over the many years..

Just to note, when mentioning an over-reactive defense I'm referring to posters coming in on defense of the reviewer (admittedly, with their heart in the right place) in places where the level/seriousness of the critical posts doesn't really warrant it (or at least the amount of defensive posts). The volume of 'defense' posts ends up dwarfing a small volume of vapid criticism and makes a very tiny issue seem large.

It does seem on the surface the muddle-headedness of the criticism belied the reviewers anger with it, but I do understand the context of your point about the grating/aggravating effect that builds up with time in response to an element of 'bad faith' criticism of one's work/writings.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I think it's kinda strange how the Phoenix anime is turning out to be a hit-or-miss title with people, while everyone who tries the manga seems to love it. I dunno, I watched the first episode of the anime and it seemed like a pretty close adaption. Though, I guess seeing it all animated draws attention to some of the weirder aspects of Phoenix (like the aforementioned characters who get introduced and die five minutes later). Also, I don't think Tezuka's character designs work well with the newer, shiner animation. As much as I like his style I wouldn't have minded if they updated the character designs.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You really have to take into account the time when this takes place. People had lower life expectancies back then.

And that explains things how? One woman couldn't have a thousand babies now even with the higher life expectancies of today. :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Even if reversible covers were desired, images would be hard to come by given the relative lack of NHK promo art. I suppose the other alternative could have been a plain slipcase with the logo and volume idenifier, with a shadowed (over the racier parts) preview look of the actual cover image.

I'm sure ADV could just go to their art department to make a reasonable cover. All they'd have to do is dress up some random screen-caps from the episodes on the disc to make a cohesive cover image. FUNimation did that with all of their Dragonball releases back when they were still considered an anime upstart, it would be nothing for ADV to do something impressive today.

Emerje

Same with Kiddy Grade. The outsides looks awfulbut when you flip it around, you get some mildly suggestiveart. [and they redid the covers again for the double DVDs, they're much nicer.]
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're a little off. The Phoenix show has 13 eps.

Quote:
“I want to give birth to hundreds and thousands of babies, so we can create a new village!” “That's why I want to find the Phoenix. That way, [my wife] can drink its blood and she'll never die. That way, she can have a thousand babies.”

You really have to take into account the time when this takes place. People had lower life expectancies back then.

Even if the life expectancy was like, 500 years, I'd still laugh at that line. Really? Hundreds of thousands of babies? That's funny no matter who says it.
Apterous

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Apterous wrote:
Quote:
Adapted from Osamu Tezuka's manga of the same name, the series has 25 episodes...

Err, actually, Phoenix just has 13 episodes. Unless you have 12 more secret episodes that were withheld from the public that will never see the light of day, and you will review them but never release them so that we will instead have to fill that hole in our Tezuka-loving, meaning-of-life-craving souls with... Suzuka.

Oops, you and Gatsu are totally right about that. When I looked it up in the encyclopedia, the first number my eye caught was the runtime per episode. ^^;; Thanks for the correction!

Crying or Very sad

::waves goodbye to 12 more episodes of something that isn't on the same level as Suzuka::
Selkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
"Welcome to the NHK" sounds like a show I would enjoy watching, however, I am little concerned about the "disturbing levels" I always hear mentioned in the same breath as this show. Is it an emotionally and/or mentally unstable or social anxiety sort of disturbing? Somebody mentioned pedophilia in context with this show, and I know the manga is sealed. Is there sexual deviance in the anime? If so how prevalent is it? Is it only featured in a few episodes that I could skip over?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
Selkie wrote:
"Welcome to the NHK" sounds like a show I would enjoy watching, however, I am little concerned about the "disturbing levels" I always hear mentioned in the same breath as this show. Is it an emotionally and/or mentally unstable or social anxiety sort of disturbing? Somebody mentioned pedophilia in context with this show, and I know the manga is sealed. Is there sexual deviance in the anime? If so how prevalent is it? Is it only featured in a few episodes that I could skip over?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll try to explain my "disturbed" feeling as best as I can.

My analogy is shaky, but do you watch The Office (US version)? Did you ever see the episode in season 3 where Michael goes to Phyllis' wedding, and keeps making a fool of himself. As a viewer, you get this feeling of, "Oh... Oh God... don't... don't do this to yourself..." kind of uncomfortable.

It's not that extreme in Welcome to NHK (at least by this volume), but it's that same kind of, "Oh no, don't do that." It's like when you see something bad happen to a good character, of their doing, when things start getting uncomfortable.

That's the kind of disturbing that I mean.
GrdAdmiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
I got the sense of a lot of hostility and sarcasm. Is any part of this article serious or is the entire thing a rather distasteful joke?

[Quote] "The animation style is very quirky and borders on cartoonish at times, lending it a surrealism that makes it more interesting to watch. Yes, it can be uncomfortable to watch at times, but it's very rewarding and definitely worth owning.

It is possible that some viewers will be put off by its brilliance, fantastically complex characters, and its many social implications, but due to my slanted bias towards those very same traits, I heartily endorse this series."

As I have been thinking about purchasing Welcome to NHK for some time, and I'd rather like to know if this is in fact a serious inquiry into that show or rather the writers sarcastic humor requarding personal issues with last weeks column?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
GrdAdmiral, judging from the excerpt you picked and Bamboo's previous NHK review, it would seem to me that it's an accurate description of the series and that Bamboo likes it. Is that what you needed to know?
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote
She gave it Shelf-Worthy, the highest rating [she also gave it a No Child Left Behind stamp, whatever that means!Anime smile]. The article was dripping in sarcasm, yes, but the list up there is accurate.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This weeks serving of biting sarcastic wit was absolutely delicious!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
This weeks serving of biting sarcastic wit was absolutely delicious!
I agree. I pissed myself laughing, and if I in any way was a lump of coal that fueled the fire of this riposte, I apologise unreservedly. It was not my intent.
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Great column. AC/DC Rules!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4