• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Elfen Lied question (concerning Ep. 5).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NathanBum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
In episode 5 (DVD) in Elfen Lied it shows Mayu fully nude about to presumably be raped by her father. How did they get away with putting this in, since in almost every country it's illegal to show fully nude minors?

I have nothing against the show (I watched it all in one sitting), I'm just wondering how they slipped that in without being censored.

Kind of strange question, I know.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied was likely one of those shows that aired at really late nights. It was probably censored a little too. Now these are all just guesses so I'll just stop right there.
NathanBum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but on the DVD it is completely uncensored, so how did they get that in there; she looks ablout 7 or 8 in that scene... It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'm just curious on how it wasn't censored.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:22 pm Reply with quote
If I recall correctly you don't really see anything below the belt from the front. Since it's anime they can get around protection of minors since the person in question is fictitious.
Jih2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
NathanBum wrote:
Yes, but on the DVD it is completely uncensored, so how did they get that in there; she looks ablout 7 or 8 in that scene... It doesn't really bother me that much, but I'm just curious on how it wasn't censored.

If you're astonished because you think it's pedophilia I was too. Then I learned that loli and the portrayal of any other underage characters having sex is legal as long as it's animated. If it were live action this would be a completely different story.
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
NathanBum wrote:

If you're astonished because you think it's pedophilia I was too. Then I learned that loli and the portrayal of any other underage characters having sex is legal as long as it's animated. If it were live action this would be a completely different story.

A bit off topic, but in China it's actually legal to show nude children, even on daytime television. They are usually very young, though, as in 5 years old or younger.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote
The amount of nudity in Elfen Lied really bugs me. It's a very serious show, so what's with the fanservice? Are people expected to get off to it?...
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
The amount of nudity in Elfen Lied really bugs me. It's a very serious show, so what's with the fanservice? Are people expected to get off to it?...

According to Wiki, this, along with large amounts of blood and decapitation was meant to contrast the evil-ness of humans compared to the so-called "evil" diclonius. It's not meant to be fanservice but an ugly portrayal of the dark human world...
Pas1990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote
Some parts were fanservice, but all in all the nudity was not a device they used to please the audience, but rather to emphasize the seriousness of the situation (for example nana naked chained to the wall)
AceRyonik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Nudity can be used as a method of animalizing the subject, but admittedly it wasn't done here as well as it could have been.

In any case, the scene was completely unnecessary. So Mayu was sexually abused. Does it ever come up again? Does it ever factor in to her character? No, it was put in for the sole purpose of saying to the audience, "Look at how DEEP and MATURE this show is!" And that's coming from someone who actually LIKES the show. I can't imagine how most others would view that scene.

The manga was almost uniformly bad in that regard, and the anime did a good job of salvaging the story amongst all the bad fan-service and shaky logic, but this scene in particular was disappointing.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I actually thought that particular scene was one of the few examples of nudity that wasn't unwarranted. It was the Darth Vader rivaling 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!' that killed it for me.

Most of the nudity can be explained to some degree, but I still don't get why they all had to be naked in that research place. I guess they were spending all their money on research, and couldn't afford to buy some clothes, and a washer and dryer.
Xeric

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I still don't get why they all had to be naked in that research place. I guess they were spending all their money on research, and couldn't afford to buy some clothes, and a washer and dryer.

If you were experimenting on lab mice would you bother clothing them? I agree with what AceRyonik said
AceRyonik wrote:
Nudity can be used as a method of animalizing the subject

I think they were trying to emphasize to the viewer that the diclonius weren't viewed as human beings by their captors.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
True. It was a way of dehumanizing them since they weren't thought of as "human."
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
That's a pretty weak excuse. At the end of the day their still naked girls, and it would be hard for any human not to notice.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
It's not a weak excuse. At least not for the lab scenes. It's been done throughout history to dehumanize people. The holocaust is a good example. Though I have no doubt a lot of the nudity was fanservice. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3