• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic The Hedgehog Film Director: Sonic's Design Will Change

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:48 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
Tbh, they didn't really have to care like most video game to live action movie adaptions. I am just glad that they are doing so. However, I do think they should contact some of the people to who did some edits. They were really good.

or go to sonic's creator and ask what makes sonic "sonic". That should of been what was done in first place.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:39 am Reply with quote
I strongly suspect they went with the design they did because they wanted to make this film as lazily as possible and go with motion capture - body and face.

That's why Sonic has such 'human' proportions.

Because the good design would demand artists spend time animating Sonic. There are some mo-cap processes than can be translated to more cartoony characters with a good rigging transition system, but that's also work.

Most likely the studio had already gotten wind that the design was borked, and they released the trailer to confirm the feedback, but plans were likely in place to make some significant fixes, and that's likely why some of the trailer looks like bad composition. The character FX are still in a placeholder limbo.
partially

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Do they even have the time?

Well technically it is not that big a change, it really depends on how they do it. The filming is already done, and they are replacing the CG model for Sonic. More than likely they will be tweaking the design and reusing the animation already in place. So there will be little more to do then remodel Sonic, tweak some of the animations and then hit the re-render button.

Themaster20000 wrote:
Those poor animators,who are going to have to put in tons of overtime to fix that monstrous design Crying or Very sad

I highly doubt they will be completely redoing the model. It will most likely be tweaks to things such as the teeth. They will therefore likely be reusing the existing character animations. Certainly though if they made significant enough changes that they had to throw out the animations, there would a lot of crying people, that is unlikely to happen though. So it isn't really that much overtime, except for the computer that needs to rerun the rendering.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
I realized especially that one shot of sonic everyone's memeing looks like those creepy dolls dentists have to teach kids how to brush their teeth properly. Not a good look.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:

Detective Pikachu made like 80 plus pokemon I think they can overall Sonic in a few mouths.

Doesn't change the Sonic movie that doesn't take place in Sonic's fantasy world and lacks the mind bending eye candy backgrounds and landscape that would make a movie about Sonic fun and worth watching in the theater.

Show me a trailer of a fully realized and beautiful Green Hill Zone I'd be there on day one, but as it stands fixing Sonic's ugly face isn't enough.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
It's nice that they're acknowledging that some mistakes were made in Sonic's re-design, but some film websites are saying that fans should not have so much control over the production and that they should leave the artists' vision intact. But I don't know if the visual effects artists have enough time and resources to improve Sonic's look in time for the release of the movie. Furthermore, I don't think Sonic's look is the only problem the movie has.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
I don't trust these filmmakers at their word. Namely because I have seen this bait and switch tactics done on other movies, the most notorious was The Last Airbender.

Second, so far the only points of discussion coming from the people behind the movie is they talked about Sonic having fur, and Sonic's shoes. As if THOSE were the only points of contention with fans of Sonic.

His entire design is awful and needs to be scrapped. From the eyes, to the mouth, to the nose, the quills, the proportions of his legs, arms, hands, feet, and torso, etc.

How hard was it to stick with the original designs found in the games? Sheesh just copy and paste either the classic Sonic or the new Sonic from Sonic Generations, I'd rather watch that than what they came up with.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
We know that the studio doesn´t believe in the film (they took way to long to start promoting for example) and is setting it out to die but thus is beyond pathetic.

Where are you getting this from? The first trailer dropping 6 months in advance of release isn't uncommon. Paramount did it last year with Bumblebee, which was also a $90 million, family-oriented film. They haven't put out a trailer for Terminator: Dark Fate yet and that actually comes out a week before Sonic does.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am Reply with quote
Exactly when or how will Sonic's design change?

I assumed that the writers (unprofessional ones) would give like some weird sci-fi explanation like "he immediately transforms or evolves into a new form when jumping over to another dimension" like Fox did with the characters in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four film in 2015 (sorry to bring THAT ONE up).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Exactly when or how will Sonic's design change?

I assumed that the writers (unprofessional ones) would give like some weird sci-fi explanation like "he immediately transforms or evolves into a new form when jumping over to another dimension" like Fox did with the characters in Josh Trank's Fantastic Four film in 2015 (sorry to bring THAT ONE up).

And oddly enough, the Fantastic Four rights are now with Marvel again now that Disney owns Fox.
kucinglaper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Detective Pikachu made like 80 plus pokemon I think they can overall Sonic in a few mouths.

Those Pokemons are there right from the get go. The productions already took them into account when they put out their schedule and budgeting. In the case of Sonic the change was not part of the schedule.

Making a new model is definitely easy and could be done fast considering Sonic has fairly simple design (even the original one), making said model move and inserting it to the film is what takes time. The current movie Sonic use mocap to get the movement, if his anatomy didn't change much, maybe they can still use the movement data but if they change Sonic into actual Sonic anatomy then you can say good bye to that data.

Worst come to worst you'll have reanimate every Sonic movement, rendering, editing the footage, VFX stuff, entire 100++ minutes worth in 5 months.... This is in addition to actually finishing whatever they has yet finished. Even if the changes end up minimal, it's still pretty difficult to do.

It's definitely possible, but not sure if they have the budget or manpower. All I can see is those poor VFX artists just got "unpaid overtime" inserted into their already packed schedule.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"It would be weird and it would feel like he was running around nude if he was some sort of otter-like thing. It was always, for us, fur, and we never considered anything different. It's part of what integrates him into the real world and makes him a real creature.”

Sonic is not an ''otter-like thing'', he's a hedgehog. They might as well call the movie Sonic the Bear, then.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The work that the animators have in order to get this fixed in time for premiere is the most Japanese thing about all this.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
kucinglaper wrote:
ReifuTD wrote:
FilthyCasual wrote:

Those Pokemons are there right from the get go. The productions already took them into account when they put out their schedule and budgeting. In the case of Sonic the change was not part of the schedule.

Making a new model is definitely easy and could be done fast considering Sonic has fairly simple design (even the original one), making said model move and inserting it to the film is what takes time. The current movie Sonic use mocap to get the movement, if his anatomy didn't change much, maybe they can still use the movement data but if they change Sonic into actual Sonic anatomy then you can say good bye to that data.

Worst come to worst you'll have reanimate every Sonic movement, rendering, editing the footage, VFX stuff, entire 100++ minutes worth in 5 months.... This is in addition to actually finishing whatever they has yet finished. Even if the changes end up minimal, it's still pretty difficult to do.

It's definitely possible, but not sure if they have the budget or manpower. All I can see is those poor VFX artists just got "unpaid overtime" inserted into their already packed schedule.

I won't pretend to know what work will be involved, but it should be manageable if the only thing they have to fix is one character. Peter Jackson's WETA Digtal team worked constantly from the time the Fellowship was first released in theaters, and at the time they were doing re-shoots, and re-editing of both The Two Towers and the Fellowship Extended Edition both of which were rolled out in succession starting about 8 months after Fellowship premiered in Dec.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 pm Reply with quote
How do you fix the design and maintain other actors' eyelines?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3