• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's 30th Anniversary Dragon Ball Z BD Collector's Edition Set Reaches 3,000 Pre-Order

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This set is completely useless. It's basically the same release as the bluray "remastered" sets. Only difference is that it's in 4:3 but from what I've seen, they've even still cropped some of it the original image. Honestly, I'd rather they do their own remaster from the dragon boxes on bluray with uncropped 4:3 (like they were doing with the levels sets but they sadly canceled that set) but since I have the dragon boxes already, I don't care for this release. Besides, even the complete dragon box set was $60 cheaper than this set when it first came out and it's the best release we will ever have. Fans need to demand higher from Funimation.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
A little late I guess, but I imagine this is what most hardcore fans are thinking.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
The Malibu Stacey tactics strike again...
IdeaOfEvil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:53 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
The Malibu Stacey tactics strike again...

"But she's got a new hat!"

"I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it! I want it!"
faboo95

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
As a fan of the series who eventually would like to own the whole series, the multiple releases and different levels in quality and issues gives me a headache...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Not buying unless Funimation does something about the cropping, the grain removal that removes actual details and makes the art looked smeared and if they tells us that the original sub is no longer in mono.

The Japanese audio will always be in mono. Even if they used sound from original broadcast recordings, it will still be in mono because that’s how it was originally mixed. They definitely don’t have the materials to do a full remix of the Japanese audio. There’s nothing inherently wrong with mono anyway. All it means is that the sound comes from one speaker.

But it would be nice if they did use sound from those recordings of the original broadcasts. It’s still far from ideal, but it sounds better than the terrible Japanese audio currently available (which are optical tracks from the 16mm prints from what I’ve heard). Toei junked the original audio master tapes long ago.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The only real valid complaint is the dnr. Only because it is revealing the true nature of Funis film prints. Even with the grain present you can easily see that the print itself is not good. Linework is already blurry and smeared. (Seriously, look at these on a calibrated high res display.)

The colors are dull and washed out.
Arguing that the before pictures look better color wise is inane. Even in Kai they changed the color saturation and grading because the film materials are old and washed out. The dragon box is even washed out looking in the earlier episodes. I doubt the original animation cells were that washed out. The saturation change is mild, yes Gohan looks peachy but he doesn't at least look like a dried up olive. The peach tone is much more in line with the promotional artwork of the anime from the 90s. (And even Toriyama's own artwork). It's hardly a deal breaker.

Bottom line with the color is that there is no true way to tell what the original intended colors are as every release has been different , it was made on film and this was a show on a budget. There was not time or money to sit there and color correct every episode as film was made and then preserve that original film.
I am sure they could one day come out with a release based on the original print and say "this is the color as we intended" and there would still be no pleasing some fans.

The cropping is also a moot issue as Funimations own explanation makes complete sense. This applies even in Hollywood in the film world. No one intentionally wants to leave in huge chunks of damaged frame without correcting it or cropping it out. Often much more is shot than is shown. Even the dbox has some cropping. The examples shown are no where near the level of bad as the orange bricks or season sets.

That brings us back to the dnr. This is a no win situation. The amount here is less than the season sets and there is still a fine layer left over. But I would prefer slightly less, again though as Justin pointed out the amount present here is excessive due to this print being a copy. With the backgrounds this works out better in their favor I'm. Yes it makes them look like watercolor paintings but in reality based on the raws posted by funi a lot of the backgrounds in reality are actually painted in watercolor. The tell tale signs of how the medium works are present. But are masked by the huge amount of grain present aside from the areas closest in frame where you can see the original line work and signs of the water running down on the page where it was drying.

This is probably the best the show will ever look and it looks good enough to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2