• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I am an Anime Feminist. Ask Me Anything

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Hunter x Hunter may not fall into that exact trap but it has tons of issues of its own, one of which is that the core team is entirely male. Excluding women is not better than including them but badly.

We have a really great article (I didn't write it, I just love it) about why shonen manga should be more inclusive to non-male readers and characters

<Removed> Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter are popular with women because they focus on almost exclusively male characters, not in spite of it. Ditto for those sports series like Haikyu and Kuroko. Replacing half those casts with women isn't going to attract more women to the series, it'll more than likely turn a lot of the current women reading them off.

While I'm all for co-ed sporting events, it's not something that exists in the real world. As such, making half the cast of Haikyu and Kuroko female would only make the series seem less realistic.

Oh! That's an interesting question for the feminist original poster! Do you think it would be a good idea for sports to be co-ed? We know men and women are just as capable as one another. Is there any harm in, say, girls playing basketball with boys on the same team professionally?

True, it's not really anime related, but... I just kinda thought it was interesting to ask. Sorry mods. Remove my post if you don't like it. Sad Now I feel bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
Did you end up writing an article on DITF inspired by my posts?

Ha! https://www.animefeminist.com/discourse-childbirth-and-politics-in-darling-in-the-franxx/

It was inspired by the general discourse around Darling in the Franxx, but yes, you calling gender roles and nuclear family structures "fundamentally apolitical" was what made me say to myself, "You know what, people are so ignorant on this issue that it really does deserve a full article."

It's a real shame I didn't get people to say you were wrong and that fiction is actually apolitical.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
While fiction, in general, is apolitical and doesn't necessarily reflect an author's personal ethics or worldview, I admit that art is subjective. People have the right to interpret whatever political message they choose from a narrative.

Doesn't make them right or wrong. It just means they're seeing something that others aren't, and in the end, can't you say the same for our own viewing experiences?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:

It's a real shame I didn't get people to say you were wrong and that fiction is actually apolitical.

You couldn't get people to say that because you're wrong. Just straight-up incorrect.

Quote:
While fiction, in general, is apolitical and doesn't necessarily reflect an author's personal ethics or worldview, I admit that art is subjective. People have the right to interpret whatever political message they choose from a narrative.

Doesn't make them right or wrong. It just means they're seeing something that others aren't, and in the end, can't you say the same for our own viewing experiences?

You're halfway there.

The political nature of art is a huge topic, so I'm going to kind of skim the surface here.

All art is political. All of it. It's just a broader definition of "political" than most people are used to using. It goes back to the previous discussion of Shield Hero and its lens (or worldview as I put it before) vs. its agenda, but on a broader scale. Art with an agenda is overtly political - it sets out to make a statement, with an argument designed to persuade built into the narrative. This is a relative minority of art, especially in anime. The anti-war messaging of the Gundam franchise, the capitalist post-nuclear dystopia of Akira, and the environmentalism of Earth Maiden Arjuna are examples of overtly political anime with an agenda.

Not all fiction has an agenda, but it does have a lens. The people who created it have their own biases, assumptions, and opinions that inform their work, intentionally or otherwise, about things like ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, cultural institutions, and so on. That's fine; it's just part of being a human living in society. This may be invisible to you because the creators have a similar lens to yours, which you just assume to be natural. For example, few people will think twice about a story featuring a heterosexual romance that goes according to gender roles, but many will start accusing the creators of "injecting politics" if they have a same-sex romance or trans/nonbinary/genderqueer characters.

It's not always cut-and-dried, either; art is a two-way street, and it's natural that viewers will have their own reading of it. Sometimes, it just has to do with how well their lens connects with the show's lens, kind of like how colors look different in different lighting; other times, it is overtly political.

For example, there's a lot of contention about feminist interpretations of "cute girl" anime. Some will argue that they're feminist because they center the female experience and project a world girls can exist without out the interference of or need for men; others say that they present a restrictive view of femininity that idealizes nonthreatening cuteness and purity for the consumption of a primarily male audience that is intimidated by the complexity and fleshy nature of real-life women. Both arguments are compelling and persuasive and correct in their own ways; there is no "objective" truth because different viewers will respond different ways. The creators themselves probably had none of this in mind when they wrote and animated them.

Sometimes the political nature of art only reveals itself as part of a larger pattern. The Bechdel test is useless as a metric for an individual work, but if you take a large sample of films and see just how many of them fail it, it's pretty shocking how few can even clear the low bar of having two named female characters engaging in conversation about something other than a man. It says a lot about how writers often see women as an extension of the men around them, rather than individuals with their own lives.

Or hell, to step out of anime, I just reviewed the show "Workin' Moms" on Netflix. The creator, Catherine Reitman, set out to create something she saw as honest and true-to-life as a working mother herself. Reitman's father was a successful filmmaker before she was even born, and she has always been wealthy. That is her lens. Because of her lens, the working mothers on her show are all affluent. However, a show that puts itself forward as true-to-life only telling affluent women's stories and ignoring mothers working because they can't afford not to and are still struggling to get by has a huge blind spots, created by Reitman's privilege.

So yeah, all art is political and I took way longer writing this post than I expected.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
What do you think of Cross Ange? It strikes me as an anime series that is both sexist and progressive all at once. I find the paradox interesting, at the very least.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:

You couldn't get people to say that because you're wrong. Just straight-up incorrect.

That is very sad for me. Though not as sad as it was when I saw the article published, and saw the crushing dearth of angry responses in its comments arguing that fiction is, contrary to the article's assumption, apolitical. For my own edification though could you clarify what exactly you're referring to when you say I'm wrong?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:20 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
鏡 wrote:

That is very sad for me. Though not as sad as it was when I saw the article published, and saw the crushing dearth of angry responses in its comments arguing that fiction is, contrary to the article's assumption, apolitical. For my own edification though could you clarify what exactly you're referring to when you say I'm wrong?

I mean, you could read the rest of her post that you literally quoted instead of trying to be coy and play stupid.
All art is political. All of it. It's just a broader definition of "political" than most people are used to using. It goes back to the previous discussion of Shield Hero and its lens (or worldview as I put it before) vs. its agenda, but on a broader scale. Art with an agenda is overtly political - it sets out to make a statement, with an argument designed to persuade built into the narrative. This is a relative minority of art, especially in anime. The anti-war messaging of the Gundam franchise, the capitalist post-nuclear dystopia of Akira, and the environmentalism of Earth Maiden Arjuna are examples of overtly political anime with an agenda.

Not all fiction has an agenda, but it does have a lens. The people who created it have their own biases, assumptions, and opinions that inform their work, intentionally or otherwise, about things like ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, cultural institutions, and so on. That's fine; it's just part of being a human living in society. This may be invisible to you because the creators have a similar lens to yours, which you just assume to be natural. For example, few people will think twice about a story featuring a heterosexual romance that goes according to gender roles, but many will start accusing the creators of "injecting politics" if they have a same-sex romance or trans/nonbinary/genderqueer characters.

It's not always cut-and-dried, either; art is a two-way street, and it's natural that viewers will have their own reading of it. Sometimes, it just has to do with how well their lens connects with the show's lens, kind of like how colors look different in different lighting; other times, it is overtly political.

For example, there's a lot of contention about feminist interpretations of "cute girl" anime. Some will argue that they're feminist because they center the female experience and project a world girls can exist without out the interference of or need for men; others say that they present a restrictive view of femininity that idealizes nonthreatening cuteness and purity for the consumption of a primarily male audience that is intimidated by the complexity and fleshy nature of real-life women. Both arguments are compelling and persuasive and correct in their own ways; there is no "objective" truth because different viewers will respond different ways. The creators themselves probably had none of this in mind when they wrote and animated them.

Sometimes the political nature of art only reveals itself as part of a larger pattern. The Bechdel test is useless as a metric for an individual work, but if you take a large sample of films and see just how many of them fail it, it's pretty shocking how few can even clear the low bar of having two named female characters engaging in conversation about something other than a man. It says a lot about how writers often see women as an extension of the men around them, rather than individuals with their own lives.

Or hell, to step out of anime, I just reviewed the show "Workin' Moms" on Netflix. The creator, Catherine Reitman, set out to create something she saw as honest and true-to-life as a working mother herself. Reitman's father was a successful filmmaker before she was even born, and she has always been wealthy. That is her lens. Because of her lens, the working mothers on her show are all affluent. However, a show that puts itself forward as true-to-life only telling affluent women's stories and ignoring mothers working because they can't afford not to and are still struggling to get by has a huge blind spots, created by Reitman's privilege.

So yeah, all art is political and I took way longer writing this post than I expected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:51 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:

I mean, you could read the rest of her post that you literally quoted instead of trying to be coy and play stupid.

The rest of her post wasn't a response to me, nor am I trying to be coy or play stupid. I'm not really sure what she meant when she said I was wrong so I asked for clarification. You probably shouldn't clog the thread by reposting a multi-paragraph response two posts after it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Keep it cool, comrades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:08 am Reply with quote
UltimateEye wrote:
What do you think of Cross Ange? It strikes me as an anime series that is both sexist and progressive all at once. I find the paradox interesting, at the very least.

Yeah, I suuuuper didn't like the first episode and didn't watch any further, be we have a post from a contributor who felt similarly to you: https://www.animefeminist.com/fave-problematic-cross-ange/
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to learn about your site and its reviews. I know that female representation in anime is complicated, but I didn't really understand just how complicated and potentially problematic until recently. It's good to see a thoughtful and honest review of Cross Ange in this light, though I disagree somewhat with the idea that sexual assault in it is played for titillation. Personally, I found the instances properly disturbing. In any case, Cross Ange is full of juxtaposition; some examples more clumsy than others. It's such contrasts that make me appreciate the medium of anime in its complexity. I've reevaluated my awareness of what might be insensitive in shows like Cross Ange. It might look to have more warts than it did before, but it remains one of my favorites because of its boldness and the sincere desire conveyed to overthrow gendered power structures. A shame Cross Ange couldn't fully escape its trappings of objectification even with its positive message at the end. I believe fanservice has its place in anime, but the serious and legitimate themes of female empowerment I love were at times lost in that, which was unfortunate.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Okay. Here's a good question. Do you agree that Goblin Slayer is a great show with an empowered female character in the form of the blind lady...?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:49 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Okay. Here's a good question. Do you agree that Goblin Slayer is a great show with an empowered female character in the form of the blind lady...?

I didn't watch Goblin Slayer, but read back in the thread to see my thoughts based on its reputation.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote

All art is political. All of it.

So you're telling me that Bob Ross and his happy little trees was political? How about Thomas Kincaid paintings? How about my neighbor growing up who made hand carved water bird sculptures out of driftwood because he liked birds? How is liking waterfowl political? How about my friend who does metal working? Or how about my own resin model kits I've made in the past. Those were political too? I simply didn't like the character and thought the figure was cute? I mean you said ALL ART is political and those are all examples of art in my book. I sure don't remember anything political going through my head when I was putting together my favorite resin Urd figure years ago. What "lens" are any of these examples seeing through?
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

All art is political. All of it.

So you're telling me that Bob Ross and his happy little trees was political? How about Thomas Kincaid paintings? How about my neighbor growing up who made hand carved water bird sculptures out of driftwood because he liked birds? How is liking waterfowl political? How about my friend who does metal working? Or how about my own resin model kits I've made in the past. Those were political too? I simply didn't like the character and thought the figure was cute? I mean you said ALL ART is political and those are all examples of art in my book. I sure don't remember anything political going through my head when I was putting together my favorite resin Urd figure years ago. What "lens" are any of these examples seeing through?

Bob Ross and his happy little trees were meant to promote the beauty and joy of painting to everyone, especially those that thought they couldn't do it. It had a purpose and a message behind its creation, and an especially good one at that!
Thomas Kinkade painted what he considered "American Values." Many of his paintings are explicitly Christian and even those that aren't were made with the core ideal of promoting his specific view of Americana. There's even more politics to be seen once you get into his process of mass-marketing himself and his paintings!
Your neighbor that likes ducks? Where did their like of ducks come from? Why do they feel so strongly about them to hand carve them? These are political questions about their views. Sure, it's just a duck, but knowing they liked ducks that much it wouldn't be hard to assume they'd also be supportive of efforts to protect duck habitats and the well-being of ducks in general.
Your metal working friend is making art out of raw materials that are an integral part of what is usually seen as infrastructural in nature. Making art out of it rather than the assumed paint and canvas, needle and thread, etc is an inherently political choice. Many metal working artists have their various reasons for doing so and are interesting stories and perspectives.
Your own Resin model kits are all part of advertising and marketing, things that are also inherently political.
Basically you don't need an actual thought of how or why what you're doing is political to make it so. It simply is. It's a basic fact. Everything everyone does is shaped by their own experiences in their life and the unconscious actions they take are based on the political view those experiences have created. Your feeling of what is natural and someone else's differ based on these internal politics. That's what is meant by "everything is political" and why art itself is a magnification of that, because it is inherently a distillation of the creator presented towards others whether they are aware of it or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7