• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Zombie Land Saga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Yuvelir wrote:

No more, please...

lol I literally laughed out loud when the girls started shooting lasers...

You have to have an "I'm Sakamoto" level of suspension of disbelief, yes. It's like when we pretended a badguy would eat a gun turned into a banana.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, Junko can sing. Does anyone know if her VA has ever done any recordings? I've poked around but all I could find was that she was apparently one of the voices in the Dragon Pilot OP. If she does have any music out there, I need to buy it now.

Like a lot of the people here, I have been interested in precisely zero idol anime before this, but ZLS has turned into one of the highlights of my week. I'm even finding myself enjoying the parts of the show that are presumably the actual idol stuff, like the treacly character drama (always cut with some great absurd comedy) and the performances (yes, even the awful CGI).

I realized while watching ep 7 that the two death metal fans that have been following Franchouchou around are totally my viewpoint characters. They showed up in ep1 convinced that this idol group thing was gonna be crap, but ended up impressed and curious enough to come back for ep2, which was amazing. Some of the following eps were a downward trend, but by the time 7 rolls around they get blown away again, and at this point are firm fans.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Don't know what impressed me the most, the show being completely animated in 2D or... everything else.
I don't know what to think, that death was so surreal... Laughing
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
Holy crap, Junko can sing. Does anyone know if her VA has ever done any recordings? I've poked around but all I could find was that she was apparently one of the voices in the Dragon Pilot OP. If she does have any music out there, I need to buy it now.

So far, all her songs were Hisone to Masotan's ending as Eru, Zombie Land Saga's opening, ending and insert songs, always as part of a group.
Kawase Maki first solo song will most likely be Junko's character song. I can't wait too her voice is amazing, fun fact she will turn 21 this year like Junko.

Lily's death made me laugh as much as I was shocked spoiler[( facial hair is really taboo for Otokonoko fans, all dreams will come to an end.)] while the second part made me cry like a baby, so far Ep#8 was my favorite.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
Lily's death made me laugh as much as I was shocked spoiler[( facial hair is really taboo for Otokonoko fans, all dreams will come to an end.)] while the second part made me cry like a baby, so far Ep#8 was my favorite.

I made the mistake of looking at the MyAnimeList thread for this episode, and was really taken aback by the people who reacted by saying that this episode ruined the show for them, as my immediate reaction was "I'd be happy if all of the remaining backstory sequences ended up being even half as well done as Lily's was."

Also, they title they gave in the preview for Episode 9 is one of my favorite episode titles in a long, long time.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I made the mistake of looking at the MyAnimeList thread for this episode, and was really taken aback by the people who reacted by saying that this episode ruined the show for them, as my immediate reaction was "I'd be happy if all of the remaining backstory sequences ended up being even half as well done as Lily's was."

Also, they title they gave in the preview for Episode 9 is one of my favorite episode titles in a long, long time.

Strangely, i'm not even a bit surprised, that remind me why i only go there for informations.

Though My Life May Have Ended Once by Some Twist of Fate I Have Risen, and If Song and Dance Are to Be My Fate, Then Carrying the Memories of My Comrades in My Heart As I Sally Forth Shall Be My Saga , awesome title indeed, it couldn't have been more accurate. Saki may be the least smart not counting Tae's condition but she is the most romantic one.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
At this point I'm expecting that Kotaro's backstory, if it happens, will end surprising us even more.

But I have to say, Yuugiri should had more presence in this episode.
Both for her apparent proximity with Lily and because from where she came from.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
steelmirror wrote:
Kawase Maki first solo song will most likely be Junko's character song. I can't wait too her voice is amazing, fun fact she will turn 21 this year like Junko.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. I would never have guessed 2 months ago that I'd be excited to buy an album for an idol anime, but here we are!

Lily has been the least interesting character for me so far, so I'm really happy that her episode turned out so solid. I'm not sure if I'm 100% convinced with how it wrapped up as being a viable solution to the issue, I have no idea what her father believes about this random identical twin of his dead daughter and how that could actually help him deal with his issues, but it was heartfelt (and this show is so ground floor crazy) so I won't question too much.

Also the ep was hilarious. I love how the show will sincerely deploy over the top melodrama, but will keep a wink and a grin for the audience to let us know that it knows how ridiculous it is being. Lily's death scene was 11/10, I was laughing harder than I have at an anime in a long time. Saki continues to be a badass, her flying kick was a beauty and the reaction from the fanboys was great. Looking forward to her episode!

I'm getting into this show enough that I'm actually pretty curious about some of the mysteries they've been teasing all along. What really is the deal with the zombie girls? The whole "haven't you seen a zombie movie?" gag is hilarious and fine enough, but the show has been so excellent that I'm hopeful we'll end up with a bigger payoff than that. What is the deal with Sakura and her lost memories? I presume that her amnesia clouds some deeper secret or connection in her past, maybe some relationship with Kotaro? Kotaro, just, why? And of course the obvious question about Tae: where did she learn to dance so good??
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote
Both the death and next episode's title are the most Gintama thing ever.

Panino Manino wrote:
But I have to say, Yuugiri should had more presence in this episode.
Both for her apparent proximity with Lily and because from where she came from.

That is my one disappointment with thus episode too. It's a lost chance to deepen their relationship beyond just pairing characters up. Surely she could have done one of Sakura's scenes.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
EP 8: the ninjas cutting onions were on the war path this episode.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I am so dumb. I didn't get that Lily was trans on my first watchthrough of this ep; I even thought it was odd that Junko blushed at Saki's comment about "doesn't matter what kind of junk she's got", I thought it was some crass Japanese double entendre Saki (being Saki) was using to refer to Lily's emotional baggage. And I thought the name thing was just a joke that Lily had a really uncute name for such a cutesy little girl. Also, as previously stated, I'm an oblivious idiot.

So the episode was even cooler than I thought! I feel a little bad about laughing so hard at the facial hair scene, but only a little. I'm apparently on the same wavelength as Saki, death by whiskers is the greatest thing I've ever heard. I think the dramatic music and the star popping off dramatically as Lily fell out of frame are what put me over the top.

So yeah I'm dumb, but at least I make up for it by being immature! Very Happy
Michformer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
It takes creativity to communicate such individualistic themes in a way that doesn't come across as mawkish or tone-deaf. Reckon ZLS won't be running out of steam anytime soon.

It may not be the headiest show out there, but the character chemistry/development has remained remarkably sound throughout the fall season.

And to the naysayers out there, individualism is the most human thing to embody, and rampant collectivism is a relic of the past.

For the naysayers out there, I'll leave you with a quote from Abraham Maslow: What one can be, they must be. This need we call self-actualization.
TyrantValvatorez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
The creators did a good job of making Lily being trans to not seem like something they pulled out of their collective butts. In the background sometimes she can be seen reading machinery magazines. Leading you to just dismiss her as a young girl with a nerdy hobby. Than it makes a bit more sense when she is reveled as male to female transgender.
Those tiny details that they put into the characters is actually quite cleaver.

It also made me disappointed that The Idolmaster: Side M's anime reduced Ryo Akizuki( Ritsuko's cousin) role to a cameo. As it would upset the fangirls or something.

Next week is Saki's focus episode. I might need a sedative for that one. To avoid injury from laughing so hard.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
TyrantValvatorez wrote:
Next week is Saki's focus episode. I might need a sedative for that one. To avoid injury from laughing so hard.

Or from crying, I've given up trying to predict what ZLS is gonna be like, but for all we know the Saki focused episode could be the most serious and tear jerking episode yet. Admittedly the comically large title and the preview point in another direction, but who knows? Regardless I'm looking forward to it. Very Happy
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I had this show pinned as "That Wacky Zombie Idol Show" and started watching it because it was silly and ridiculous.

SO WHY IS IT BREAKING MY HEART?

Lily's song at the end of episode 8 had me in tears.

Fantastic backstory episode, surprising, heartful, and good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10