• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Seed, Elemental Gelade Anime Blu-rays Listed From Discotek

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Gelade was also a memorable series to me. The music was really good and I enjoyed the plot of the series.

I picked up a CD of the first OST "エレメンタルジェレイド オリジナルサウンドトラック 1" and the "everlasting song" CD single on recent visits to Japan and heard "everlasting song" live at Yuki Kajiura Live vol.#14 a few months back.

I always wondered what the anime was like.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
I don't suppose there exists an HD master of Toradora? Was a little disappointed by my NISA Toradora BD being an upscale, but if the JP release is also an upscale sounds like there's no better alternative.

I imported the Shigofumi BD box, and even though the show aired before Toradora, it had an HD master according to the official blog:
Quote:

「シゴフミ」はTV放送時からHDで制作されておりましたため、今回のBOXではアップコンバートではなく、HDマスターでの収録となります。
つまり、今回のBlu-ray化がHD画質での初収録となります!

Both shows were produced by J.C. Staff, which makes it weird that an earlier show by the same studio has HD master but a later show seemingly doesn't.

No, there's no HD version of Toradora in existence. And anyway, it wouldn't be for the animation studio to decide if a series was going to be remastered or not unless the studio was one of the major investors on the show's production committee - which JC Staff was not for either of those. So it could be as simple as Bandai Visual being willing to spend the extra time and money to do an HD remaster of Shigofumi, and King Records not being willing to spend the extra time and money on Toradora. Actually, off the top of my head, I only know of one older series that King Records has ever released with a full HD remaster treatment. That was Evangelion a couple of years ago, and my guess is that most of the funding for that remaster came from Studio Khara, rather than from KR.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico and Utena are distributed by King Records, and both got HD remasters from the original film materials as well.

And it's not unheard-of for a studio to produce native HD and SD shows at the same time. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, for instance, was Production I.G's first HD show back in 2002, and yet the same studio produced many SD shows afterwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2