• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are The Different Types of Ramen?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Went to New York comic con this last weekend and had two different types of ramen, the first was totto ramen which had chicken based broth, and the second was Ichiran which was tonkatsu. Ichiran was by far the best ramen I've ever had in my life there are some ramen places in Houston and they are good, and totto was very good, but Ichiran was fantastic I went on two separate days and had no regrets spending the $34 on the managers special. What amazes me is that the Ichiran restaurants in Japan are supposedly better and cost around $20, which must mean it must be outstanding.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
Went to New York comic con this last weekend and had two different types of ramen, the first was totto ramen which had chicken based broth, and the second was Ichiran which was tonkatsu. Ichiran was by far the best ramen I've ever had in my life there are some ramen places in Houston and they are good, and totto was very good, but Ichiran was fantastic I went on two separate days and had no regrets spending the $34 on the managers special. What amazes me is that the Ichiran restaurants in Japan are supposedly better and cost around $20, which must mean it must be outstanding.

I agree that Ichiran is very good but pricey, last time I went there I'm still kicking myself over spending $5 on a ramune drink. Also, don't like the fact that they bury the chashu underneath the noodles, made me think they had forgotten my order of it. Their ramen concentration booths are a gimmick, but going off of the line they had when I passed by their shop on Sunday afternoon, one that still gets a lot of people in the door.

Made my thoughts on Totto Ramen on the first page. Surprised you didn't try Ippudo, they were the gold standard of ramen in NYC for the longest time.
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
jree78 wrote:

I agree that Ichiran is very good but pricey, last time I went there I'm still kicking myself over spending $5 on a ramune drink. Also, don't like the fact that they bury the chashu underneath the noodles, made me think they had forgotten my order of it. Their ramen concentration booths are a gimmick, but going off of the line they had when I passed by their shop on Sunday afternoon, one that still gets a lot of people in the door.

Made my thoughts on Totto Ramen on the first page. Surprised you didn't try Ippudo, they were the gold standard of ramen in NYC for the longest time.

Went out for pizza another day, my cousin kept on pestering me to eat at Don Antonio in midtown so my brother, our friend and I went there and enjoyed it. Would have gone to Ippudo but I was too enamored by Ichiran and dropped my money on them twice.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Feel compelled to do a shout-out to Ajisen Ramen and thier wonderful Tonkotsu! I know it's a chain, but I've not had better and about any of their ramen is so good to have on a cold(-ish) day in SoCal...

Huh, Ajisen also has a couple of locations here in NY, namely in Manhattan Chinatown and Flushing. While I happen to think their ramen is nothing special with so many other better places around here in the city, I had no idea their chain likely originated in SoCal. The more you know!
Lest you labor under a misconception, Wikipedia knows all https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajisen_Ramen Sorry, I didn't know of any in the US other than Cal but I see NY and also they are worldwide. I believe they originated in Japan, just the best place I know of around San Diego.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:30 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

You definitely have to turn in your weeb card, and also your "open-minded eater" card. Nearly every pre-packaged food at the supermarket has far more disgusting preparation steps than that.

I mean, if you plopped a steaming bowl of ramen in front of me, I'd try it without question, and very likely enjoy it. (The Vietnamese place in the local mall makes a mean bowl of pho, so I figure we're in the general ballpark there.) It's just that I have no personal touchstone of any of the flavors used in it or how they combine. Things like konbu or miso or miren or bonito are just words to me at this point. It's a food culture that's literally half a world away from anything I've experienced. Hell, I wouldn't even know where to find genuine ramen: there's only one somewhat-authentic Japanese restaurant I can think of in the immediate area, and looking at their menu they don't even serve it. The Philly area has significant Chinese and Vietnamese immigrant populations (the latter enough so that bahn mi are marketed as "Vietnamese hoagies" around here), but not nearly as much Japanese representation as far as I'm aware. Guess it's my loss.

And trust me, I'm well aware of how many gross ingredients and processes go into what I eat on a daily basis. The catch there is that I was eating and enjoying them for many years before I was privy to that information. As I said, it's probably best not to see how the sausage is made until well after you know you like it. I can always yell at Babish for that. Very Happy

Last edited by Top Gun on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Tonkatsu is my favorite type, but I recently tried Shio & Miso and while the Miso was fine, I can say that Shio is pretty great Smile
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:52 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
The Philly area has significant Chinese and Vietnamese immigrant populations (the latter enough so that bahn mi are marketed as "Vietnamese hoagies" around here), but not nearly as much Japanese representation as far as I'm aware. Guess it's my loss.

Look for a place called Hiro Ramen in Philadelphia. Their tonkotsu is one of the few good memories of my only trip to that city.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Now I'm hungry.

I'd also like to give a shout out to Otaku Ramen in Nashville, TN. If you are ever in the area, it is a must go. I loved the article, Justin. I must go to Kyushu someday! It also flew under the radar, but Miss Koizume Loves Ramen Noodles was actually a pretty mouthwatering show from a few seasons back. We have a Wasabi in Nashville too, but I did not know they served Ramen. More Japanese food features please!
vision33r

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I just had a pretty big bowl of ramen made with chicken stock at Totto Ramen in Manhattan last Sunday for my birthday, and it was good. The only thing is that it's the add ons where ramen places get you, I paid $30 for that bowl after those add ons, plus a kaedama (extra helping of noodles). But it was super worth, gigantic chunks of pork belly in addition to those slices of chashu you normally get with bowls of ramen.

Totto ramen is the most overrated ramen place in NYC. It's overpriced and it's got very little meat and ingredients. Just like how millennials caused avocados to spike up in price they caused ramen to spike up too. Ramen is supposed to be cheap hearty soul food and you millennials ruined it. Now it's just overpriced soup noodles.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:34 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
Ramen is supposed to be cheap hearty soul food

And it is. Just cook it yourself. The ingredients for the stock are very inexpensive, and the noodles are widely available these days. The toppings/meat are also easily prepared and inexpensive.
vision33r

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
vision33r wrote:
Ramen is supposed to be cheap hearty soul food

And it is. Just cook it yourself. The ingredients for the stock are very inexpensive, and the noodles are widely available these days. The toppings/meat are also easily prepared and inexpensive.

Except that many millennials are lazy and rather overpay to have someone else do it and then deliver to them via Uber. That's how ramen goes from $20 to 35 with delivery here in NYC. That's how so many ramen places went from serving $6.50 to $12 a bowl.

There is absolutely no reason anyone can't make delicious fresh ramen at home when all ingredients can be purchased. Quite affordable to make a batch of ramen broth and store then just cook the fresh ramen.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
vision33r wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I just had a pretty big bowl of ramen made with chicken stock at Totto Ramen in Manhattan last Sunday for my birthday, and it was good. The only thing is that it's the add ons where ramen places get you, I paid $30 for that bowl after those add ons, plus a kaedama (extra helping of noodles). But it was super worth, gigantic chunks of pork belly in addition to those slices of chashu you normally get with bowls of ramen.

Totto ramen is the most overrated ramen place in NYC. It's overpriced and it's got very little meat and ingredients. Just like how millennials caused avocados to spike up in price they caused ramen to spike up too. Ramen is supposed to be cheap hearty soul food and you millennials ruined it. Now it's just overpriced soup noodles.

Meh, I feel Ichiran has a more overpriced bowl of ramen than Totto. Besides, it was my birthday, and I felt like splurging. I usually just go to Minca instead, they have a good bowl of ramen, but they're nowhere near the Javits.

Also, if you want to blame someone for the proliferation of high priced noodle places, your ire should be aimed at David Chang, whose Momofuku was the place that started the high priced ramen boom in NY. Your ranting against Millennials just makes you seem like one of those old people blaming the new generation. Also, who the hell gets ramen delivered?
Wasureta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Also, who the hell gets ramen delivered?

The Tendo family of Nerima City, Tokyo Prefecture. They order ramen from Nekohanten and Shampoo always does the delivery.

=)
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Nice miso ramen at the northern end of the pedestrian street in Asahikawa, Hokkaido:

https://tabelog.com/en/hokkaido/A0104/A010401/1006793/

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3