• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Answerman - How Come Only Some Manga Use Honorifics?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
#887780 wrote:
If it's already clear what the relationships are by the general dialogue or the characters' actions, then the formality of honorifics can be dispensed with in favor of a more straighforward translation that skips those things.

This isn't in itself a terrible idea, but there are enough instances where suddenly it does make a difference when it didn't really before that keeping them (or 'translating' to some rough equivalent, though that usually winds up more awkward than just keeping them) is generally a safer default. For instance, in Gunbuster, Noriko typically addresses Kazumi as 'onee-sama', which the translation changed to 'Lieutenant Amano'. All good, perfectly reasonable... until in dialogue Noriko calls her Lieutenant Amano, and Kazumi tells her that feels weird and to call her Big Sister like she always does.

I definitely second that. The importance of the relationship is always implied for Japanese characters even if it isn't obvious or explicit. And a translation may do a total localization--loosing that implied relationship-- where it seems fine for the majority of time until you reach a point where it really does matter.

As part of the same issue of honorifics, several Aniplex titles have switched name order with everyone addressing everyone via their first name (in addition to dropping the honorfics) Seems fine since after all, western peers and collegues (whether senior or junior) all address each other by their first names right? Well, it's fine up until the point where using the first name IS a big deal. And by that point, the translation has now been backed into a corner it can't get out of.

#887780 wrote:
I think part of the problem is, in order to make the localization of a manga accessible to the widest English-speaking audience, how much familiarity is it reasonable to assume on the audience's part, or how many pages of a book is the publisher willing to devote to explaining things for neophytes?

Given that virtually all manga now is read "backwards" and no longer flopped there is an expectation for readers to familiarize themselves with new things. If a western publisher has to explains things--and they often do--then it's customary to include a reference page or a publisher could simply refer to a website url instead of repeating the same explanations over again.

Also regarding your discussion on long vowel romanization, notice that you're still distinguishing between short and long o by the use of the macron. But what if you can't type that macron? What if you're limited by ASCII but still need to differentiate, which is important in many cases? That's why it's customary and now most anime subtitle translations and some manga translations stick to Wāpuro rōmaji
positronic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
#887780 wrote:
I think part of the problem is, in order to make the localization of a manga accessible to the widest English-speaking audience, how much familiarity is it reasonable to assume on the audience's part, or how many pages of a book is the publisher willing to devote to explaining things for neophytes?

Given that virtually all manga now is read "backwards" and no longer flopped there is an expectation for readers to familiarize themselves with new things. If a western publisher has to explains things--and they often do--then it's customary to include a reference page or a publisher could simply refer to a website url instead of repeating the same explanations over again.

Also regarding your discussion on long vowel romanization, notice that you're still distinguishing between short and long o by the use of the macron. But what if you can't type that macron? What if you're limited by ASCII but still need to differentiate, which is important in many cases? That's why it's customary and now most anime subtitle translations and some manga translations stick to Wāpuro rōmaji

I think there is an unfortunate tendency in fandoms -- all fandoms, but because of the cultural differences, manga/anime/tokusatsu/kaiju eiga fandoms especially -- to be dismissive of the neos. Sort of like, well you're not otaku, not hardcore enough, not "real" fans, so forget you if you can't be bothered to put the level of effort into it that I do. It's hard to remember that we were all know-nothings ourselves at one time. All fandoms have a tendency to consecrate their inner circles, putting up barriers to keep the riff-raff out. We need to be willing to bend a little to open up our private fortress doors to the outside, rather than drive away the curious. God knows it's tough enough to navigate for a Westerner even once you've breached the outer walls. I find myself becoming wary of elitism in my old age.

It's not going to help matters any if someone asks "What's a good shoo-jo manga?" Shake your head and walk away in disgust, or launch into a critical language lesson on proper Japanese pronunciation -- neither seems like a good idea.

I understand that for the people who are adamant about this, it's coming from an attitude of respecting the Japanese culture and the language, but I'm sorry... whoever determined that the best English representation of the Japanese long O phenome was "ou" was just out-and-out wrong. Upon encountering the romanization of "shoujo" for the first time, NO native English-speaker is going to simply guess, or just 'stumble on', the correct pronunciation. They're going to pronounce it like the English word "shoe". While not all English words are spelled like they sound, we shouldn't make things intentionally difficult for non-Japanese speakers by incorporating an additional level of difficulty. I would rather hear the mispronunciation of "oh" instead of the long O -- at least it's closer than "shoe".
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
#887780 wrote:
I understand that for the people who are adamant about this, it's coming from an attitude of respecting the Japanese culture and the language, but I'm sorry... whoever determined that the best English representation of the Japanese long O phenome was "ou" was just out-and-out wrong. Upon encountering the romanization of "shoujo" for the first time, NO native English-speaker is going to simply guess, or just 'stumble on', the correct pronunciation. They're going to pronounce it like the English word "shoe". While not all English words are spelled like they sound, we shouldn't make things intentionally difficult for non-Japanese speakers by incorporating an additional level of difficulty. I would rather hear the mispronunciation of "oh" instead of the long O -- at least it's closer than "shoe".

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am a native English speaker and my very first instinct upon seeing the word "shoujo" in localization was to pronounce it shōjo. I have never heard anybody pronounce it "shoe-jo", and I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that that's a realistic outcome.
positronic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:35 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
#887780 wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am a native English speaker and my very first instinct upon seeing the word "shoujo" in localization was to pronounce it shōjo. I have never heard anybody pronounce it "shoe-jo", and I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that that's a realistic outcome.

That's not very helpful. All that tells me is that you know how to pronounce "shoujo" because you already knew how to pronounce "shōjo". (Actually, it doesn't even tell me how you're pronouncing "shōjo".) You have to assume no prior knowledge of any Japanese pronunciation.

Perhaps you (which I don't pronounce as "yō", but as yoo or yu; rhymes with "shoe") could give me an example of a common English word in which the letter combination "ou" appears and is pronounced as the Japanese "ō" to help me understand your counterargument. I certainly can't think of one.

It seems to me that some people are according a particular system of romanization a level of reverence and respect equal to the Japanese language itself, which I feel is completely unwarranted. No romanization system is a language in itself. At best it's a transitional tool intended to be useful as a language-learning aid. It's major usefulness is not as a written language substitute, but for signs, titles, and other identifying words or phrases. The system of romanization in favor now is not the same as 50 years ago, and is not likely to be the same one used 50 years from now. These are transitory systems of transliteration, they're not immutable.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
#887780 wrote:
It's a good example, because if you say "No, is IS a rule - if you're not going to use the technically correct character "ō", then the regular Romanization should be shoujo". Okay, then if it's a RULE, it should apply to all Romanizations of "ō" -- regardless. However, not only was that NOT the "prevailing convention" for years and years -- if I read somewhere "shojo manga", I know exactly what is being referred to -- but if "shoujo" is correct, then "shounen" should also be correct. Except that it's not, according to the prevailing Romanization convention of Shueisha, the publisher of Weekly Shōnen Jump. Just try to get the rest of the world to go along with the idea of replacing 'Weekly Shōnen Jump" with typing it as "Weekly Shounen Jump". It's not going to happen, no matter how hard-headed you feel about it. Worse than that is the fact that English-speakers will be pronouncing the "ou" in the title as "Shoe"-nen Jump, not "Show"-nen Jump.

Just because a given publisher picks one way, doesn't mean it's definitive. There's nothing incorrect about "shounen", and I don't know where you're getting the idea that everyone's going to think it's pronounced like "shoe" from, but I've never encountered anyone who does that, and I've heard more and worse mangling of Japanese words and names than you can possibly imagine.
#887780 wrote:
I feel like the "ou" Romanization of "ō" is just an unfortunate choice on someone's part, because without some deeper immersion in Japanese phonetics and pronunciation, 9 out of 10 English readers seeing a word Romanized in that way are going to be mentally reading it as "oo" or just "u", (as in you or boutique) not "ohh", as it's intended. Therefore it isn't practical for casual usage -- it needs to be part of a deeper language-learning experience.

Some are going to get it wrong, sure, but no matter what way you choose to romanise it, someone's going to get it wrong. You think "ou" would cause more of it than "ō", I really don't think so; most of my early exposure to anime and manga had "ou", and I got the correct impression re pronunciation.

While there are points to be made about accessibility to newcomers, the situation is quite different now than it was when I first got into anime and manga; some of the real fundamental basics of Japanese culture and language are actually a bit more widespread now, and the general public isn't as resistant to the idea of picking up something they don't already know all about. The idea that the reader must not be presented with something new or unfamiliar isn't the priority it once was.

#887780 wrote:
It's not going to help matters any if someone asks "What's a good shoo-jo manga?" Shake your head and walk away in disgust, or launch into a critical language lesson on proper Japanese pronunciation -- neither seems like a good idea.

But those aren't the only possible options, are they? Gently correct their pronunciation (ie, "well, my favourite shoujo (or shōjo, if you insist) is...") and move on. If they question it, give them a couple of very brief pointers on the language, then move on.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
This whole discussion about the shōnen/shōjo pronunciation reminds me of a similar case that happened in Summon Night 6. The voice director did not make it clear to a few of the dub actors that the character Touya's name is pronounced toe-ya, and so you have these odd voice acted scenes where most of the cast is saying his name correctly while two or three other characters are saying too-ya. That, or said director didn't correct them when he should have. Incidentally, the character's name is rendered as Touya in the script and the art book.
positronic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
This whole discussion about the shōnen/shōjo pronunciation reminds me of a similar case that happened in Summon Night 6. The voice director did not make it clear to a few of the dub actors that the character Touya's name is pronounced toe-ya, and so you have these odd voice acted scenes where most of the cast is saying his name correctly while two or three other characters are saying too-ya. That, or said director didn't correct them when he should have. Incidentally, the character's name is rendered as Touya in the script and the art book.

If even professional voice actors are getting it wrong, it seems to prove the point I was trying to make. Romanization systems should be aiming at making letter combinations that make the pronunciation intuitive for English readers/speakers based on the same way English speakers apprehend pronunciation of any unfamiliar English word they might encounter (by comparison with other words whose pronunciation is known to them). The actors who got it right would have gotten the correct pronunciation (if not specifically given to them) only based on their prior knowledge of the correct pronunciation of other Japanese names with similar "ou" romanized spellings. If you're familar with the title Ikki Tousen, or the character of Batou from Ghost in the Shell, it's easy enough to guess the correct pronunciation of "Touya". If the only thing you're comparing "Touya" to for reference to its pronunciation is English words that use the ou vowel combination, you'll never guess it. But the romanized spelling can't be "toe-ya" either, because while that makes perfect sense from an English pronunciation perspective, comparison with the pronunciation of other known Japanese words would have that come out as tow-eh-ya.
positronic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
#887780 wrote:
It's a good example, because if you say "No, is IS a rule - if you're not going to use the technically correct character "ō", then the regular Romanization should be shoujo". Okay, then if it's a RULE, it should apply to all Romanizations of "ō" -- regardless. However, not only was that NOT the "prevailing convention" for years and years -- if I read somewhere "shojo manga", I know exactly what is being referred to -- but if "shoujo" is correct, then "shounen" should also be correct. Except that it's not, according to the prevailing Romanization convention of Shueisha, the publisher of Weekly Shōnen Jump. Just try to get the rest of the world to go along with the idea of replacing 'Weekly Shōnen Jump" with typing it as "Weekly Shounen Jump". It's not going to happen, no matter how hard-headed you feel about it. Worse than that is the fact that English-speakers will be pronouncing the "ou" in the title as "Shoe"-nen Jump, not "Show"-nen Jump.

Just because a given publisher picks one way, doesn't mean it's definitive. There's nothing incorrect about "shounen", and I don't know where you're getting the idea that everyone's going to think it's pronounced like "shoe" from, but I've never encountered anyone who does that, and I've heard more and worse mangling of Japanese words and names than you can possibly imagine.
#887780 wrote:
I feel like the "ou" Romanization of "ō" is just an unfortunate choice on someone's part, because without some deeper immersion in Japanese phonetics and pronunciation, 9 out of 10 English readers seeing a word Romanized in that way are going to be mentally reading it as "oo" or just "u", (as in you or boutique) not "ohh", as it's intended. Therefore it isn't practical for casual usage -- it needs to be part of a deeper language-learning experience.

Some are going to get it wrong, sure, but no matter what way you choose to romanise it, someone's going to get it wrong. You think "ou" would cause more of it than "ō", I really don't think so; most of my early exposure to anime and manga had "ou", and I got the correct impression re pronunciation.

The letter U in "ou" is going to be a big problem for any English speaker with no prior reference to Japanese pronunciation. There are NO English words in which the letter U appears that it doesn't sound like "oo" or "uh" - U is almost never silent, and it never sounds like an extension of the long O vowel. Conversely, Japanese convention is to add a romanized U at the end of English words where no such sound as "oo" or "uh" appears in the English pronunciation, like in Tetsuwan Atomu. English speakers say AT-om -- for us, there's no U sound anywhere in there. You're not recognizing that you're already too deeply immersed in Japanese ways of thinking to see things from an outsider's POV.

[quote="Sakagami Tomoyo"]
#887780 wrote:
While there are points to be made about accessibility to newcomers, the situation is quite different now than it was when I first got into anime and manga; some of the real fundamental basics of Japanese culture and language are actually a bit more widespread now, and the general public isn't as resistant to the idea of picking up something they don't already know all about. The idea that the reader must not be presented with something new or unfamiliar isn't the priority it once was.

I disagree. There must always be access points made for total noobs or "casual fans". It's true that access to much information that wasn't available at all in the past is now available via the internet, but you're still seeing things from an insider's perspective if you think "Things are much better now". Maybe they're better for the already initiated. Anime has retreated from the mainstream of broadcast television, and to a large degree, even from basic cable. Increasingly, it's becoming isolated to streaming channels dedicated to nothing but. Rigid adherence to fidelity to the original work is the absolute delight of the otaku, but deflects the merely curious. It's just too easy to say "the heck with those lazy mooks, we don't need them". I'm selfish. For me to get what I want out of Japan and into English, I've got to recruit a huge pyramid base of less-knowledgeable, less-dedicated consumer footsoldiers. It's not a top-down approach, it's a bottom-up approach. A lot of them will never be more than casual fans; some with pass through it as a phase, then drop out; only a relatively small percentage will stick with it, and follow the way of otaku. "High fidelity" translations aren't going away. There just need to be multiple levels of accessibility to keep the overall consumer base at a practical size, with new blood constantly coming in. Too much inbreeding is bad.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:17 am Reply with quote
#887780 wrote:
If even professional voice actors are getting it wrong, it seems to prove the point I was trying to make. Romanization systems should be aiming at making letter combinations that make the pronunciation intuitive for English readers/speakers based on the same way English speakers apprehend pronunciation of any unfamiliar English word they might encounter (by comparison with other words whose pronunciation is known to them). The actors who got it right would have gotten the correct pronunciation (if not specifically given to them) only based on their prior knowledge of the correct pronunciation of other Japanese names with similar "ou" romanized spellings. If you're familar with the title Ikki Tousen, or the character of Batou from Ghost in the Shell, it's easy enough to guess the correct pronunciation of "Touya". If the only thing you're comparing "Touya" to for reference to its pronunciation is English words that use the ou vowel combination, you'll never guess it. But the romanized spelling can't be "toe-ya" either, because while that makes perfect sense from an English pronunciation perspective, comparison with the pronunciation of other known Japanese words would have that come out as tow-eh-ya.

I should clarify something. Summon Night 6's dub is sort of an odd duck. It consists of professional VAs from across anime and games (like Bryce Papenbrook, Patrick Seitz, and Erica Mendez), the old Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue VAs (like Kathy Emma and Blake Dorsey), and a collection of newbies who either did very well for their first time or who emoted poorly. The too-ya goofs came from one Lunar VA and the rest from the newbies. I can only assume the voice director didn't make Touya's pronunciation clear. Pros like Papenbrook, Seitz, and Mendez could never screw that up, considering their experience up to this point.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
I definitely prefer to have the honorifics kept in, except in cases like Vinland Saga type stories. My biggest pet peeve however is when there are no honorifics and everyone calls each other by their first name regardless of how things are actually written in the manga. I feel like Viz was the one who did that more often than not, so I’m glad to hear they’ve changed things for Haikyuu at least.

unfortunately for some of them it wouldn't sound right. especially for an anime adaptation. which is why for the index/railgun the english version used "sissy" instead of "onee-chan" when kuroko see mikasa!!!

hell, even FSN isnt safe cause while honorifics were used in the studio DEEN version , it definitely wasnt used when ufotable rebooted the series!!!

don't be surprised that if lunar legend tsukihime gets that highly anticipated reboot, they will also do away with the honorifics as well!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
positronic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
#887780 wrote:

I should clarify something. Summon Night 6's dub is sort of an odd duck. It consists of professional VAs from across anime and games (like Bryce Papenbrook, Patrick Seitz, and Erica Mendez), the old Lunar Silver Star and Eternal Blue VAs (like Kathy Emma and Blake Dorsey), and a collection of newbies who either did very well for their first time or who emoted poorly. The too-ya goofs came from one Lunar VA and the rest from the newbies. I can only assume the voice director didn't make Touya's pronunciation clear. Pros like Papenbrook, Seitz, and Mendez could never screw that up, considering their experience up to this point.

Well, it just seems like you're saying the same thing I am.

Two groups: veteran VAs well-familiarized with dubbing Japanese anime and the Japanese pronuciation of romanji words in the script; and neophyte VAs to dubbing Japanese anime, whose only frame of reference for pronunciation is English, not Japanese -- the ones who pronounced "Touya" as too-ya. The fact that there wasn't any variation in the mistaken pronunciations among the second group gives credence to my assertion that the mispronunciation of the romanji "tou" as too is the logical mistake to make by way of referencing the romanji as English pronunciations, not Japanese.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
#887780 wrote:
Well, it just seems like you're saying the same thing I am.

Two groups: veteran VAs well-familiarized with dubbing Japanese anime and the Japanese pronuciation of romanji words in the script; and neophyte VAs to dubbing Japanese anime, whose only frame of reference for pronunciation is English, not Japanese -- the ones who pronounced "Touya" as too-ya. The fact that there wasn't any variation in the mistaken pronunciations among the second group gives credence to my assertion that the mispronunciation of the romanji "tou" as too is the logical mistake to make by way of referencing the romanji as English pronunciations, not Japanese.

Honestly, I wish the voice director had asked them to redo those specific lines and explain the way it is pronounced so those amateur VAs didn't create those awkward lines in the first place; they can always do retakes. We're at this point in dubbing where actors no longer mess up Japanese name pronunciations and make every effort not to, so I think a little more effort should have gone into Summon Night 6's dub. Then again, if you heard the infamous story behind Dynasty Warrior 9's dub process...

https://www.reddit.com/r/dynastywarriors/comments/7xzzrp/dw9_the_english_voice_acting_in_this_game_is/ducviu1?utm_source=reddit-android
positronic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of dubbing, that got me thinking about the use (or not) of honorifics in English translations, and how that might differ from manga to anime. One thing we can definitely say is that if you use them in either case, you are definitely adding a... "flavor of Japaneseness", shall we say, to the story, to emphasize an awareness in your audience of the cultural background of the characters.

So then the next question is... "Is that really necessary?" It might be, or at least it might be desirable, in certain cases. In other cases, maybe not.

One question we should ask ourselves is "Is the use of honorifics a reliable indicator of the true level of respect one character has for another, or is it just a formality fulfilling a rigid cultural expectation?" Well, in some cases the former may be true, and in some cases the latter. It may or may not be easier for actual Japanese in daily life to tell when it's one or the other. In anime, good dubbing might indicate when which was which in specific cases simply by the tone of voice in which one character addresses another, or we might look at the expression on the character's face as he's speaking or the content (other than the honorific he's using) of his actual dialogue. The latter two might as easily apply in manga translations as well -- assuming we get a panel with a good depiction of the character that is speaking's facial expression (it's always possible we might not, either). Trying to figure out the tone of voice in which a character speaks as he's addressing someone else might be more problematic, as that's going to be largely a function of the English translation's lettering (did they get that aspect correct?) If one character wanted to intentionally insult another, he might simply leave out any honorific at all when addressing him. On the other hand, if a character says something like "Why don't you use your great scientific brain to figure a way out of this mess, Doctor-sensei?" it makes a great deal of difference whether that line is spoken in a frantic or pleading tone while the speaker has a panicked expression on his face, or whether it is spoken in a tone dripping with irony or sarcasm while the speaker has a scowl on his face.

All of the foregoing considerations being taken into account in counterbalance to the honorific being attached to the character addressed, as well as the general context of the two characters' prior interactions, we can then render some judgment to ourselves regarding the sincerity (or reliability) of that character's use of the honorific. Okay, so that's quite a bit of contextual evidence to be aware of. And if we were paying attention to all those things like we should have, then shouldn't the actual relationship between the two characters be self-evident (unless our mangaka has intentionally decided to obfuscate the matter)? If that's the case, then are the honorifics really necessary, since by comparison to these other aspects, they're relatively poor indicators of the actual relationships between characters?
positronic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
#887780 wrote:
If it's already clear what the relationships are by the general dialogue or the characters' actions, then the formality of honorifics can be dispensed with in favor of a more straighforward translation that skips those things.

This isn't in itself a terrible idea, but there are enough instances where suddenly it does make a difference when it didn't really before that keeping them (or 'translating' to some rough equivalent, though that usually winds up more awkward than just keeping them) is generally a safer default. For instance, in Gunbuster, Noriko typically addresses Kazumi as 'onee-sama', which the translation changed to 'Lieutenant Amano'. All good, perfectly reasonable... until in dialogue Noriko calls her Lieutenant Amano, and Kazumi tells her that feels weird and to call her Big Sister like she always does.

I don't think this is honestly anything like a typical example of what happens with the general dispensation of honorifics. This is more like a willfully stupid idea on some translator's part.

It's not anything like the same as if the Japanese manuscript was saying "Amano-san" and the American translator just shortened it to "Amano". I call it willfully stupid because the egregious sin being committed there had less to do with honorifics than with characterization. Anyone who can read the Japanese characters for "onee-sama" must therefore conclude that Noriko's relationship to Kazumi is both casual and somewhat close. Any so-called translator that thinks a better Americanization of how Noriko addresses Kazumi is the stiff and formal "Lieutenant Amano" ought to have his or her head examined (after she or he is fired). That indicates an ENTIRELY different characterization of their relationship to each other, not anything like the equivalent of just dropping a formal title like "Miss". That translator took it upon him or herself to totally misrepresent the clearly intended relationship indicated by the original mangaka.

What was that translator thinking? Oh yeah, they're like sisters, I better add that "Lieutenant" English honorific in front of Kazumi's family name. Most sisters call each other by whatever titles they've earned, right? Like if you have a sister who has a medical degree, when you see her you naturally call her "Doctor" and her family name (which may be the same as yours if either of you aren't married). What planet was this guy from? If it's a situation where both women being in the military requires a formality of address in specific situations that wouldn't exist otherwise in their personal relationship -- well, I'm sorry if that complicates your job as a translator, but you'll just have to figure out a way to indicate both aspects of their relationship on a situation-by-situation basis.

The job of translation has to be approached with intelligence. Your number one job as a translator is to understand what is going on in the story -- that includes apprehending the meaning and intent, as well as the nature of the characters' interactions -- and convey those things to the English-language reader. The individual words used are of secondary importance to the overall meaning or intent of the creator (and if the creator is doing his or her job well, those things should be clear in the Japanese manuscript). If there's a cultural reference for which there is no direct equivalent in English, then you need to approximate the original creator's feeling or intent with something similar in English that the reader will understand. You can't simply approach the original text roboticly or literally. If that's all that was needed, you could type the romanji into a computer app and just use what it spits out, as is. The number two job is to adjust the English words and phrases to sound like natural dialogue to the reader, so that the dialogue flows seamlessly and the reader doesn't need to question how unnatural things sound or what the heck she meant by that.

I haven't read Gunbuster, so I don't know if you're saying that Noriko's relationship to Kazumi is that she's actually her biological younger sister, or that the mangaka simply meant to indicate that they're friends with a close relationship like sisters -- in other words, in the latter case the clear indication of "onee-sama" is that Noriko looks up to Kazumi, respects her like an older sibling, and relies on her for help and guidance. If it sounds jarring in the English dialogue for Noriko to be constantly calling Kazumi "Big Sister", there were several ways of indicating the relationship without using that exact terminology. If they're biological sisters, then it wouldn't sound awkward in English if Noriko just called Kazumi "sis". if they're not actual sisters, then pick some alternate method of conveying the information about the characters' relationship to the reader. That might be as simple as inserting one line of dialogue where Noriko flatly states that she's always looked up to Kazumi as a big sister. Then simply have Noriko address Kazumi in the same casual manner that she would a close friend. What could that be? Certainly NOT "Lieutenant Amano". What about a nickname for Kazumi (I'm not sure what that would be in Japan -- maybe 'Kazi' or 'Zumi')?

In the specific instance where Noriko DID address Kazumi as "Lieutenant Amano", what was the reason she chose to do that, rather than calling her onee-sama as she usually did? I assume it was either a mock formality as an attempt at humor on Noriko's part, or it was a situation where others were present, where Noriko might have apprehended the fact that they weren't alone warranted a more proper formal address to her Big Sister, as a genuine form of acknowledging respect in front of the others.

I'm not a translator, just a person of normal intelligence, but even I can see the nature of the mistake the translator committed here. You can't just begin by deciding to dispense with all honorifics, then go through the romanji "direct" translation and cross out all of those honorifics, and say "Okay, that part's done, let's move on to the rest of the script". You can't disengage your critical thinking to the point where you're treating every instance of terminology you might categorize as an honorific as exactly the same, because they're not -- 'onee-sama' isn't a mere title used as a modifier for a person's name, it's more in the nature of either a direct statement of a sibling relationship, or a nickname indicating a relationship of a very similar nature.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
One thing that helps, at least from a translation standpoint, is when the Japanese version omits honorifics altogether. I don't know of an in-Japan set manga that does but I would think there might be at least some.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3