• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Bizarre Spin-Offs

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
I thought Nurse Witch Komugi was kind of bizarre but fun spin-off for Soul Taker.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This was a great list. I feel like there are even more wacky, official manga spin-off that don't get translated into English.

Psycho 101 wrote:
HannoX wrote:
I agree with TheAncientOne that you need to see Roberta's Blood Trail to realize just how deadly and scary she can be.

While I also would agree, I would still have Lucy from Elfen Lied above her. Lucy could, and did, far more damage than Roberta could ever hope to do. I would even put Balalaika above Roberta simply because she is far more calculating. I think Balalaika could be every bit as ruthless if she were ever pushed to that same limit Roberta was, but given the fact she's also much more calculating and such a better tactician I'd be more afraid of her.

My thoughts exactly. Balalaika might not kill you personally, but she'll make sure you and everyone you did business with against her will die, probably in a horrible way.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Regarding the new poll, some of those "villians" were not villians for long (e.g., Fate Testarossa), so it feels a bit like rigging the poll to have them included.

As for the old poll, the people that put Yuno Gasai at #1 but Roberta from Black Lagoon at #6 are probably the ones that saw only the series, not the Roberta's Blood Trail OVA.

that's exactly what i was thinking. i mean i could get nyuu/lucy & the scary ass Russian mafia mobster, but not having roberta in the top 5 and mikasa in the top three pretty much invalidate this list. also i would not include prisma illya on this list considering their just doing the exact same thing that magical girl pretty sammy did and that is have a magical girl spinoff for its popular lolicon character!

and speaking of lolicon characters what should be included were the spinoffs of code geass! while the spinoff suzaku of the counterattack was bizarre to say the least, what took the take was the two series featuring lelouch's sister as the main!

everyone was more or less expecting the series would pull a pretty sammy and have nunnally as a magical girl, but NOT DEFINITELY NOT THIS! from the darker tone that was included in nightmare of nunnally and basically pulling a nanoha/madoka by having her in a psuedo yuri relationship with alice the speed, to that EXTREMELY weird series version of her in an alice the wonderland setting, i don't know which one is the most bizarre!

and speaking of lyrical nanoha ,THAT series should have gotten included in this list considering that its a massive alt spinoff of the triangle heart ero game and ova! a scenario where a low level hentai series having a spinoff that even more popular than its parent series!!!??? THAT NEVER HAPPENS! EVER!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

and speaking of lyrical nanoha ,THAT series should have gotten included in this list considering that its a massive alt spinoff of the triangle heart ero game and ova! a scenario where a low level hentai series having a spinoff that even more popular than its parent series!!!??? THAT NEVER HAPPENS! EVER!!!!!!!

It was #1 on the previous list that was mentioned and linked to in the article.
astrakhan42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
If there's a third round, it should feature the infamous Garzey's Wing, which was spun off from Dunbine. Naturally the one thing Garzey's Wing is missing is the giant insect robots, which got traded off for the funniest (unintentional) dub in anime history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2