• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Tsugumomo Release Uses Mix of Broadcast & Uncut Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Just having a plot doesn’t make your show not adult, there’s plenty of hentai/doujins out there with semi decent plots and art.

It's pretty adult, sure, but that from going to full hentai is quite a jump. Tsugumomo does have quite a bit of 'foreplay' between several characters multiple times and nudity almost every chapter, but really the most fun it gets is in the art for the fights.

Then again I haven't read it in over a year.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
I can't image a situation where the fault of the current circumstances doesn't lie squarely with the Japanese license holder.

I can since there has been no public statement saying that Funi did not receive the disc release version, what they said was "a combination of uncensored and TV broadcast materials based on what was available from the license holder.". So yeah, it is obvious that the license holder provided Funi with bot the broadcast and uncensored versions, but they did not said "Due to the lack of uncensored footage from the license holder we had to use the broadcast footage for the disc release".

By Ocam's razor the most simple answer is human stupidity; someone at Funi thought "let's censor this so that it can have mass appeal and rake higher profits" forgetting the simple fact that this is a disc release, not a broadcast at Cartoon Network or similar.

Again, as other people have said in this thread, if in the past the license holders in japan have not cared about nudity in the funimation release, why would they now? Do they get an extra profit out of it?
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
By Ocam's razor the most simple answer is human stupidity; someone at Funi thought "let's censor this so that it can have mass appeal and rake higher profits" forgetting the simple fact that this is a disc release, not a broadcast at Cartoon Network or similar.

That's not Occam's Razor because it contradicts literally everything about how Funi has done business so far.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Teraman wrote:
That's not Occam's Razor because it contradicts literally everything about how Funi has done business so far.

Would you care to elaborate on your statement?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think the main issue with this is that the Funimation website said that the episodes were uncut and that is what people were expecting. Ironically after what happened with ReZero the idea that they accidentally used the broadcast version of several episodes does seem possible. The licensor does send out what video gets used in other countries and it is possible that it was a mistake but this will make people more cautious about Funimation home video releases of future ecchi shows.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Funi definitely should've caught this ahead of time. I'm not that into ecchi, but I have the same issue when excessive gore is blacked out. If you can't trust what's advertised, why preorder any box-sets? And it seems like this time of year they're always releasing more and more error-ridden sets.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Teraman wrote:

As people have pointed out Funimation has always been very accepting of Fanservice shows and has almost never censored a show intentionally, this company treats DxD like one of it’s golden gooses hell they’re simuldubbing it right now. In the last year they put out Testament of a Sister new Devil, and simuldubbed a show about a dude dating a Gal on his quest to lose his virginity, they don’t hide from shameless sexual content, There are multiple instances in the past of them delaying a release when they realize do they were mistakenly given broadcast materials as opposed to the home released ones (Ben-to).

Japan is know to be finicky with these things and it’s within possibility this is just what they gave Funi and there was nothing that could be done.

Do we know 100% this is what happened? No but using past experiences and informatiom as well as context clues from Funi’s bizarre announcement about it we can infer this situation is highly out of the ordinary for Funimation and doesn’t match up with their past enough that they should likely be given the benefit of the doubt till more information comes out.
Teraman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Teraman wrote:

They've never attempted to censor shows to "broaden appeal" before*. This is the same company that released shows like Valkyrie Drive (which features explicit lesbian sex scenes involving underaged characters and several depictions of sexual assault, they even dubbed the specials which are basically lesbian hentai) completely uncut. If you want to argue that maybe there's been a change in management or policy since then, they also just released Seven Mortal Sins this month (a month after Tsugumono was released) which has similar content to Valkyrie Drive. There's nothing to indicate that Funi would find the content of Tsugumono to be particularly objectionable.

*except that one time where the announced they were going to do so in advance and then didn't after everyone told them it was a bad idea
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong here, but shouldn't we we looking at CR for this one? I'm reasonably confident its their license, thus their responsibly to work with the whomever in Japan ( i think showgate) to get home video materials to then send over to their distributor for release, which is funi. I don't know why they are the ones falling on the sword here
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Japan is know to be finicky with these things and it’s within possibility

Again with the false equivalences.

1) Japan atm does not have a problem with nipples on BD, otherwise they would be censoring their own releases
2) There has not been a situation in the USA where an anime disc release has received negative publicity due to nudity.
3) The international problems japan has with their media business atm are with china, not the usa.

Quote:
this is just what they gave Funi and there was nothing that could be done.

This is only your assumption and I have already said that if that is the case, that is not what the public announcement states.

Teraman wrote:
*except that one time where the announced they were going to do so in advance and then didn't after everyone told them it was a bad idea

Indeed. As Eistein is thought to have said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”. So about eight years ago Funimation tried to censor outright the contents of their disc release but later had to bow to public pressure and desist. It makes sense that if they were attempting to do the same, they would change their strategy, being ambiguous in their press release to see if this time they can get away with it.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Japan is know to be finicky with these things and it’s within possibility

Again with the false equivalences.

1) Japan atm does not have a problem with nipples on BD, otherwise they would be censoring their own releases
2) There has not been a situation in the USA where an anime disc release has received negative publicity due to nudity.
3) The international problems japan has with their media business atm are with china, not the usa.

Quote:
this is just what they gave Funi and there was nothing that could be done.

This is only your assumption and I have already said that if that is the case, that is not what the public announcement states.

Teraman wrote:

Indeed. As Eistein is thought to have said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”. So about eight years ago Funimation tried to censor outright the contents of their disc release but later had to bow to public pressure and desist. It makes sense that if they were attempting to do the same, they would change their strategy, being ambiguous in their press release to see if this time they can get away with it.

First off I was not referring to Japan being finicky with nudity, but sending the wrong masters to lisenceors and dubbing companies, there have been Answerman articles on this very site talking about how difficult getting the right master can sometimes be and Japan doing things to avoid reverse importation.

You keep complaining about us making assumptions, but aren’t you doing the same thing by jumping on Funi with no proof this was their call.

Also citing one time almost a decade ago when they tried to censor something and reversed course when fans complaing actually makes it even less likely they would intentionally censor Tsugumomo since they know how fans would react and have a nearly ten year long track record of not doing the thing you’re accusing them of.

Being ambiguous in the press release doesn’t mean their trying to pull one over on you, it could just as easily be read as “we know this is stupid but the production company in Japan said so and we can’t cmplain about it and risk burning a bridge so here’s a half assed we’re sorry there’s nothing we can do”

See how easy it is to read into an ambiguous statement to get a interpretation to support you argument?

Our side of the argument is providing at least some contextual evidence and past practices to show this is highly out of the ordinary for Funi, you asked for proof and we try and provide as best as possible given the limited information. Funimation has published shows with highly sexual content within the last 6 months, is currently dubbing a sexual show, them intentionally censoring Tsugumomo like this without outside pressure either legally or from Japan does not add up given past and current buisness practices.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

What the heck are you talking about? The public statement says this (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Funimation's normal process is to utilize uncensored materials when available to produce a home video release. If uncensored materials are not available, we utilize the TV broadcast version. This was the case with the “Tsugumomo The Complete Series” BD/DVD Combo which utilizes a combination of uncensored and TV broadcast materials based on what was available from the licensor during home video production.

They literally state that they did not have all the uncensored materials from Japan and used the censored versions instead.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:13 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
They literally state that they did not have all the uncensored materials from Japan and used the censored versions instead.

You can believe me or not, but my post with the time label 6:53 pm where I quote funimation from ANN article (I just copy/pasted the quote) is different from the quote the article now has (which is the one you quote).
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Them not wanting to give naked uncensored 8 year girl material to FUNimation makes sense. I don't really fault them.These things spread like wildfire these days.

Funimation has released things like Dance in the Vampire Bund, Dragonar Academy, High School DxD, and Strike Witches in which very young girls get very naked. They've never really come under fire for it, and the fact that it's been censored is drawing more attention to it then it would've if it were uncensored.

Exactly! And in this case, it's not specific Kirihia scenes that were censored, it's the entire episode including censoring other characters

Based on Funimation's statement they simply did not get the uncensored masters for those episodes while they did for other episodes for whatever reason. If they already knew about this, it's utterly disappointing they tried to keep quiet about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I might be wrong here, but shouldn't we we looking at CR for this one?

Excellent point. Crunchyroll is also involved with the license of Re:Zero. If more CR/Funi disc releases continue to have problems, we should definitely zoom in on CR.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5