• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2007-12-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Hey, the Naruto Ultimate Ninja games are a lot of fun, I don't know what game you were playing. Sad

And One Piece Grand Adventure isn't bad at all, though it's nothing special it's by no means 'wretched'. (though he didn't specify that he was talking about that particular game...)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously, Innocence? That movie was a self-indulgent, pretentious wreck.

And that differs from other Oscar winners because...? Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

And that differs from other Oscar winners because...? Rolling Eyes

Oh, give me a break, Daniel. Innocence was pretentious to an extreme that I'd never seen before, and I went through film school for god's sake.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Innocence was pretentious to an extreme that I'd never seen before, and I went through film school for god's sake.

Innocence put me to sleep...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
Zac wrote:
Innocence was pretentious to an extreme that I'd never seen before, and I went through film school for god's sake.

Innocence put me to sleep...

Innocence was pretty confusing Confused
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Viga_of_stars wrote:

I haven't seen Ratatouille but did see Tekkonkinkreet which I thought was damn awesome. Your comparison really made me want to see that finally. I just need some clarification on what you said. Someone who like Tekkonkinkreet more that Ratatouille has bad taste, weird taste or no taste and just liking it because it's anime?

Ratatouille is, to me, one of the best films of the year, and probably the best film Pixar has ever made, which is saying a lot considering the sheer number of amazing films that studio has produced. Tekkonkinkreet is a sorta-OK adaptation of a pretty good comic. It's not about bad taste, but if you watched both and sincerely think TK is better, I do have to question your judgment. I really can't see how anyone would sincerely consider TK to be a better film on any level.

After seeing Tk before and just last night watching Ratatouille after renting it I have to agree with Zac. I know so many fans love to simply bash American animation because it's simply not anime, which is rather stupid. They're two different styles but in the past 5 years American animation movies have been really well done. Pixar and Dreamworks have both made some very fine animated movies. They may not look like anime but so what? The detail in some of the recent movies is really amazing if you actually open your minds up and pay 2 cents worth of attention and stop hating them simply because they're American. Ratatouille had a good story, pretty decent voice acting, and the animation was very nice indeed. Plus as a fellow chef I have to give it 2 thumbs up just because of the message in the movie, which is one I've told friends and people I know for years. It's also a movie anyone of any age can enjoy which to me is an important factor for determining if a movie should win any sort of award or not. It can't just appeal to one specific audience in my opinion.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
Innocence was pretentious to an extreme that I'd never seen before,

Then I guess you haven't seen American Beauty.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You manage to continue your lifelong habit of being totally wrong about everything all the time with this.

I love American Beauty. It's a modern classic.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac:
Quote:
Innocence was pretentious to an extreme that I'd never seen before,

While I hold the opinion it should not have won the Oscar I won't deny it was a good movie. I still think Green Mile should have won but that was the second year they snubbed movies Hanks had been in. I can see Spacey winning for best actor but over all I still hold Green Mile above American Beauty. I also do not see it as a very pretentious movie as you want to say it is GATSU.
Panda-s1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
Wait a second, what about Triplets of Belleville like that one guy said? It even got a nomination for best original song for crying out loud! Though when I think about it that movie was quirky as a hell, but in the best way possible. I also notice that heavily philosophical films don't get nominated for much, and Triplets had none of that.

I saw Tokyo Godfathers the other day and loved it. Maybe it wouldn't have won, but it should have been nominated over Shark Tale. Damn companies really need to push better, lest crappy movies get nominated. Yeah, just my two cents. I really need to watch movies again.
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What about Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo ?

I don't think that film fits the nomination criteria:

"Today, according to Rules 2 and 3 of the official Academy Awards Rules, a film must open in the previous calendar year, from midnight at the start of January 1 to midnight at the end of December 31, in Los Angeles County, California, to qualify.[10] Rule 2 states that a film must be "feature-length", defined as a minimum of 40 minutes, except for short subject awards and it must exist either on a 35 mm or 70 mm film print or on 24 fps or 48 fps progressive scan digital film print with native resolution not less than 1280x720." - Wikipedia

However, now the film will recieve a theatrical release, and maybe we'll see it get at least nominated.
Jared_Hussen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
ah, thank you. I figured there was some reason it didn't get mentioned.
Rawshark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This year, that award belongs to Ratatouille, hands down.

Zac you have absolutely no taste. Here's my nomination for best anime/animation/movie/whatever of the year

Regarding recent industry bashing by fans, I think that's a necessary tradition past by our pudgy, hubble space lensed forefathers of yesteryear to remind us of which releases have been hacked to death by careless distributors. The entitlement behavior in fansub discussions are starting to annoy me though.
Asako

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
There are some instances in anime movies that has either:

1) more than somewhat relies on it's matching TV series for better explanations. (this would be most of the movies spawning from a TV series)

or

2) parts of the anime movie drag. There's a bunch of action! Lots of things happening! and then..... long pauses of nothing... almost meaningless "nothing" it could be silence, it could be just such a big change in the pace of the film that you feel like you hit a wall. I don't know how to explain it really.

I definitely should produce examples of what I mean :/ I will as soon as I can pinpoint things exactly. But I think a film needs a great amount of care to the pacing of feelings. I guess I feel that films should flow in and out of feelings. Whenever I watch a movie, it's almost like there's a timing you can feel. Like music! What notes can create a chord and what can't (or at least be very difficult to pull off).

Maybe I'm not making any sense... but I rarely find an anime movie that has such great composition as some movies from Pixar, such as Ratatouille.

Uhmm.... though I love a lot of anime movies, I just don't think they're award level.

Edit: hmm.. my bf and I were discussing this... he says that it's probably a culture thing. Could that be right? That sounds right. I could be totally wrong though.
DonQuigleone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know, 5cm per second was pretty good, though I haven't seen ratatouille...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7