• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does Getting Free Copies Of Stuff Sway Opinions Of Critics?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a miracle I didn't just scrap the site right then and there.

Thank God you didn't Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
I think Justin missed the implied point: a number of companies will throw hissy fits if a critic calls their product bad and refuse to ever send them free copies ever again. I'm not sure if this is true with Sentai/Funimation/Viz/etc, but it's definitely there in some industries.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I think Justin missed the implied point: a number of companies will throw hissy fits if a critic calls their product bad and refuse to ever send them free copies ever again. I'm not sure if this is true with Sentai/Funimation/Viz/etc, but it's definitely there in some industries.

It's important in video games because being one of the first people with a review out gives you those juicy clicks. Kotaku is still mad to this day they're blacklisted by Bethesda and Ubisoft. Complaining how they don't get early review copies so they have to wait for street date, along with being shut out from PR information and upcoming info. Anime though? I find it hard to believe. Home releases of anime pale in comparison to streaming.. and would they really care about a Blu-Ray release of a 2 year old show people already know everything about? Companies like Funi and Viz don't have the power like video game companies do. Even all of ANN's weekly reviews come out after the episode is available on CrunchyRoll and other sites. Reviews of anime seem more for the discussion of it than being a product influencer like video game and movie critics who get early access before the public and try to shape public opinion.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Reviews of anime seem more for the discussion of it than being a product influencer like video game and movie critics who get early access before the public and try to shape public opinion.

With most anime distributors small, boutique outfits in the grand scheme of things, QC often boils down to one person with a few hours to spare. Things can and do get missed. Anime reviews are important in getting the word out about authoring errors and the like.

The number of UK viewers saved from a Bakuman disaster by a timely review...
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:04 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Naria Girls. Although I don't think anyone watched that series for any reasons except morbid curiosity and memes.

Naria Girls was mediocre to poor, but it was only terrible if one were to make the foolish decision to watch it by itself without having watched Nama de Anime wo Tsukuru Sama first. Although given that was never licensed or fansubbed and doesn't exist according to this website's encyclopaedia (nor does it on AniDB's, nor did it on MyAnimeList until I submitted it to be added), that seems depressingly likely. I talked about it a bit in my post in this forum post.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
This is probably only a concern with video games, considering the expense. Or Hollywood-related extravaganzas where reviewers/interviewees etc. get to be buddy/buddy with famous people.

I would imagine that today for anime/manga, it's probably easier to get critics to read/screen stuff online via hosting/streaming and a verifiable limited-time use username/password thingy.

Either way it'll work out as when you're drowning in stuff, you tend to be more critical as you've seen it all, and only the real quality stuff gets to rise to the top and the majority of things will just turn out mediocre.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Either way it'll work out as when you're drowning in stuff, you tend to be more critical as you've seen it all, and only the real quality stuff gets to rise to the top and the majority of things will just turn out mediocre.

Which almost exactly describes what happens with the Preview Guide every season. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

I don't think that'd have much power. Firstly, for series reviews, the Blu-Rays are old, unless it's a retro-release, everything streamed on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Hi-Dive, Netflix or Amazon well before the disc. So the ability to 'shut off early access to series' isn't really a thing in most cases.

Screeners can at best promote the VERSION being screened. Maybe it's a release of a classic anime film or series or the disc has a never before seen dub, then yeah, you want the DISCS reviewed, but with only a few major sites for even doing DISC reviews, cutting off those sites would do a better job at limiting consumer's options to read 'if this is a good release or not'. Even then, you can only prevent PRE-release reviews from happening, anyone can buy a BD off the shelf after release date. Even right now, just about every DISC review on ANN is written up AFTER the retail release date. I think the most recent disc review on ANN was Sailor Moon Super S Part 1? That disc came out mid APRIL. So clearly there's not an intense rush for get disc reviews up before release date.

So, even from the outside looking in, it seems that cutting off screeners holds NEGLIGIBLE power over reviewers, especially how streaming continues to push physical media to the sidelines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3