• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Light Novels Not Yet In English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:

Actually the description of 86 is pretty far off the mark? The handler is the white haired girl at the front, and all the soldiers in the back are the commoner kids. It's a class system of nobles and commoners rather than a white supremacist thing (considering everybody is white/asian). I'm actually a bit surprised anyone would throw such a term around so loosely. Anyhow, the premise looks interesting, and I'm getting some Valkyria Chronicles vibe from it.

Ahh that makes a lot more sense, (although it does make it more generic, so I can get why the article would use "white supremacist").
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing I'm missing something but 86 cover features and all white cast... If those are indeed the main characters isn't that kinda missing the point:

"Isn't racism based on skin tone awful! Oh btw, don't make your main character non white that would sink sales" Rolling Eyes

I've never read it, but I imagine "people of color" just means Japanese, and it's about Japanese people living under not!American rule and rising up against them. Or the description is horribly being misconstrued by the article.

Yeah, for all the attempts by the reviewer to make it sound super-progressive, the politics sound very Birth-of-a-Nation-ick when you include the Japanese context.
Crext

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Crext wrote:

Actually the description of 86 is pretty far off the mark? The handler is the white haired girl at the front, and all the soldiers in the back are the commoner kids. It's a class system of nobles and commoners rather than a white supremacist thing (considering everybody is white/asian). I'm actually a bit surprised anyone would throw such a term around so loosely. Anyhow, the premise looks interesting, and I'm getting some Valkyria Chronicles vibe from it.

Ahh that makes a lot more sense, (although it does make it more generic, so I can get why the article would use "white supremacist").

Well, It's just flat out wrong calling it that though, as one does not correlate with the other in the least...
It's like a person witnessing some on-going car theft just to yell "racist" towards the perpetrator.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:07 pm Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere .....

Absolutely.
Though, I can't imagine anyone ever being brave enough to do an official translation.

Too true my friend.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
86 sounds immensely interesting
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
86 is quite the story.

I'm not sure if it will bode well for American and European audiences, though...

Last edited by Heishi on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
This is a synopsis from this novel.

Quote:

86―エイティシックス―

The Republic of San Magnolia.

For a long time this country was attacked by it’s neighbor, the Empire, which created a series of unmanned military vehicles called the Legion. In response to the threat, the Republic successfully completes the development of similar technology and reflects the enemy’s attack, having managed to do without casualties. But this is… the official version. In fact, there were victims. Outside of the 85 districts of the Republic there was actually another one. “The non-existent 86th district.” It was there that battles continued day and night in which young men and women from the detachment known as Eighty-Six participated—they fought in drones…

Shinn is the leader of a squadron of eighty-sixers. Lena is a “handler” who commands the detachment from the remote rear with the help of special communication technology.

The farewell story of the severe and sad struggle of these two begins!

In the novel the Republic degraded people into classes and some of its people also began persecuted different groups.

In the novel there are the so called "Black Sheep" and "White Sheep" but Black Sheep are spoiler[ mutated ones possessed by ghosts]. Maybe that was what is making some color confusion.

The description in the article just don't make any sense for me.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Keen Fox wrote:
Artist of Witch of Tata is Shouji Sato,also artist of Highschool of the Dead.

Ah, makes sense. Explains the Tatas.

Hello, Hello and Hello sounds interesting. I'm intrigued regarding what the end is like.

I started reading That Alone... but I can't remember how far I got into it. It's not bad, and I think it's pretty short.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty liberal use of the term "white supremacy" to describe a story synopsis. I hope that was an error and not purposely done.

-Stuart Smith
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Crext wrote:
Well, It's just flat out wrong calling it that though, as one does not correlate with the other in the least...
It's like a person witnessing some on-going car theft just to yell "racist" towards the perpetrator.

Yeah, wtf ANN... Race based discrimination and class based discrimination are NOT the same thing. I seriously can't believe you can come up with a description about white supremacy and people of color from the actual LN description without intentionally twisting the meaning to push your agenda.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Legend of Legendary Heroes is an amazing read. Love every volume.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
I've never read it, but I imagine "people of color" just means Japanese, and it's about Japanese people living under not!American rule and rising up against them. Or the description is horribly being misconstrued by the article.
86 is for a Japanese audience so if there is a racial element to the story than how Asians are treated in the Republic of San Magnolia would be one of the issues covered in the light novels. It is a tad confusing that Kim Morrissy states that 86 is about racism while several posters have said that it is about classism. I mean is the Republic of San Magnolia ruled by an aristocracy? Does the country assign people to different classes based on how they look or is it based on who their parents are? I am curious to find out if 86 is about classism or racism.
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story is about a white supremacist nation...

I'm honestly starting to lose hope in this site by the day now.
I feel like this wording tells me more about the article writer than the novel they're describing.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Quote:
86―エイティシックス―

The Republic of San Magnolia.

For a long time this country was attacked by it’s neighbor, the Empire, which created a series of unmanned military vehicles called the Legion. In response to the threat, the Republic successfully completes the development of similar technology and reflects the enemy’s attack, having managed to do without casualties. But this is… the official version. In fact, there were victims. Outside of the 85 districts of the Republic there was actually another one. “The non-existent 86th district.” It was there that battles continued day and night in which young men and women from the detachment known as Eighty-Six participated—they fought in drones…

Shinn is the leader of a squadron of eighty-sixers. Lena is a “handler” who commands the detachment from the remote rear with the help of special communication technology.

The farewell story of the severe and sad struggle of these two begins!

The description in the article just don't make any sense for me.

See, THIS actually makes me interested in reading the series.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Hi, this is the author of the article.

I read 86 in the original Japanese, which makes the "color" angle a lot more obvious than English-language translations and summaries. The "Alba" people is written with the kanji 白系種, which literally means "white type", while the "Colorata" people are denoted with the kanji 有色種, which means "colored type".

Although the colors mentioned throughout the story are primarily in reference to hair color rather than specifically skin color, the book uses politicized language about race throughout, making it clear that it's an analogy for real-world discrimination. Even the fan translation retains some of this kind of language, for example in this passage from chapter 1:

Quote:
Racial supremacy instantly gained recognition and justification. This noble, regal, and humane first modern Republic established in the world ended up recognizing Albas as the most outstanding of them all, while all Colorata of the old-fashioned, inhumane Empire were inferiors, who were simply foolish, barbaric swines who took on human appearances and could not evolve successfully.

Finally, the author notes in the afterword of volume 1 that her inspiration for the story was World War II: "The plot of this work is based on the black history of a certain Axis country and a certain Federation."

The theme of "white supremacy" is about as explicit as you can get.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm guessing I'm missing something but 86 cover features and all white cast... If those are indeed the main characters isn't that kinda missing the point:

From the Light Novel illustrations found on facebook all cast is white.
From what i read in the descriptions "black" is referring from some sort of spoiler[ ghost possession ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5