• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harukana Receive Anime's 'Pair Visual' Shows Naruasa Team

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Will definitely be watching this for sure! Please no hidden male character or some shit.

I took a quick glance of the manga, and there are no notable male characters at all. Not even secondary ones.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
Will definitely be watching this for sure! Please no hidden male character or some shit.

Yeah, please no Little Witch Academia/Uma Musume/BanG Dream twist and curve balls.

You know having male characters isn't a bad thing in a show right? The Trainer in UmaMusume is actually pretty good.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Two Car tried to be another yuribait like Hibike Euphonium and Little Witch Academia

I don't see how Little Witch Academia was yuri bait.

. . . .

As for the illustrations they look wonderful. I admire the detail that was put in to both the lighting and sand kicking. Looking forward to this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:09 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
You know having male characters isn't a bad thing in a show right? The Trainer in UmaMusume is actually pretty good.

His existence turned Uma Musume into another typical generic self-insert anime and a lame ad for an upcoming "featureless guy x girl of his choosing" mobage. Also, there is not a single redeeming quality about him other than being an unoriginal self-insert. Such a shame because he is the one thing that is keeping the anime from reaching its full potential. Famous CGDCT anime like Girls und Panzer and K-On did not have to resort a guy like him.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:41 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

His existence turned Uma Musume into another typical generic self-insert anime and a lame ad for an upcoming "featureless guy x girl of his choosing" mobage. Also, there is not a single redeeming quality about him other than being an unoriginal self-insert. Such a shame because he is the one thing that is keeping the anime from reaching its full potential. Famous CGDCT anime like Girls und Panzer and K-On did not have to resort a guy like him.

...No it didn't. And your view on it is completely false. There is no shipping in the show with the trainer and the girls, if anything he's hinted at being with the trainer of the other horse girl group; and none of the girls in Spica even like him romantically.

What full potential? The whole show is just an ad for the game. Why would you think otherwise?

GuP and K-ON AREN'T BASED ON MOBILE GAMES. So that comparison doesn't even begin to work.

It looks to me that you're just upset because having ONE male character somehow ruins your Yuri fantasies. You do that a lot. If you're going into these shows just to ship characters you might be watching them for the wrong reasons.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
I don't see how Little Witch Academia was yuri bait.

Before the anime, yuri fans enjoyed OVA series. Trigger was not happy with it so they inserted a hetero romance in an attempt to generalize the series. Both yuri and non-yuri fans were not happy with and even the majority of the staff agreed with them. So they sacked the romance subplot and went on yuri-pandering with the most fan-preferred yuri couple in the last episode. There was no canon couple ending but post-anime, there was an interview with the female VAs saying that the het is just friendship and they did some yuri-teasing.

So LWA is a yuribait, not like Hibike but like Amanchu. But unlike Amanchu, the creators sort of caved in to the yuri fans and severely toned down any hint of het. Only time will tell if the Amanchu author will listen to them or if the ongoing Amanchu season will give them what they want.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
...No it didn't. And your view on it is completely false. There is no shipping in the show with the trainer and the girls, if anything he's hinted at being with the trainer of the other horse girl group; and none of the girls in Spica even like him romantically.

What full potential? The whole show is just an ad for the game. Why would you think otherwise?

GuP and K-ON AREN'T BASED ON MOBILE GAMES. So that comparison doesn't even begin to work.

It looks to me that you're just upset because having ONE male character somehow ruins your Yuri fantasies. You do that a lot. If you're going into these shows just to ship characters you might be watching them for the wrong reasons.

You do realize that the anime has not ended yet, right? What if the trainer gets his own episode next month or possibly this week? What if one or two horse girls reveal to have feelings for him? Not to mention that there are staff members working on it also worked on Idolm@ster. The producers there got their own time to shine. After all, this anime IS an ad for a mobile game that has the trainer player helping and dating his horse girls.

For the full potential thing, there are female-dominated mobage anime that did NOT have a male main character, like Schoolgirl Strikers, Ange Vierge, AND LOVE FREAKING LIVE. The third one is a clear epitome of that while the second had a female MC that somehow made it even more interesting to watch. Kind of sad that Uma Musume did not follow it.

For the comparison with GuP and K-On, I am basing this on the series as a whole. GuP and K-On never had a male MC in any of their media, be it anime, manga, or games. Those two giants of the moe genre made great success without pandering to the otaku who want to date the girls. Those otaku do the pandering themselves.

And do not worry, pal. I am not the only person who has that kind of mindset. There are yuri/CGDCT fans who love shipping the girls whether there is a male MC or not, some of which are unhappy when there is one. If you have a problem with me for that, then you also have a problem with them. If it were not for us who just want to see cute girls doing cute things, we would not have series like KinMoza, GochiUsa, GuP, and K-On to begin with.

I am a huge CGDCT fan and I prefer my CGDCT anime to be exactly that. Noticed that I said male MC several times, so you can understand something. Male MCs in CGDCTs are typically the self-inserts. If that trainer was not like them and instead a background/minor character who does not appear every episode, I would not have an issue with him. The very point here is this: a self-insert (male) in a CGDCT is a no-no for me and for some people. If this is your first time meeting someone like me, then welcome to the anime community!
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Reading this thread makes me wish there was brutal deconstruction of the CGDCT genre the same way Shadow Star Narutaru deconstructed the "Monster in my Pocket" genre.

You know, instead of girls doing things like starting amusement clubs, playing music, going to the beach, making things, or having silly games, they do things like, drug dealing, sex trafficking on other girls their age, gang wars with their hetero rivals who are violently homophobic, engaging in martial arts fights, doing drugs, killing other girls, in pretty ruthless ways sometimes(ala Texas Chainsaw), and the most important thing: they're actually lesbian and have lesbian sex. None of this yuribait crap. It's unapologetically yuri.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Reading this thread makes me wish there was brutal deconstruction of the CGDCT genre the same way Shadow Star Narutaru deconstructed the "Monster in my Pocket" genre.

You know, instead of girls doing things like starting amusement clubs, playing music, going to the beach, making things, or having silly games, they do things like, drug dealing, sex trafficking on other girls their age, gang wars with their hetero rivals who are violently homophobic, engaging in martial arts fights, doing drugs, killing other girls, in pretty ruthless ways sometimes(ala Texas Chainsaw), and the most important thing: they're actually lesbian and have lesbian sex. None of this yuribait crap. It's unapologetically yuri.
I'll pass on everything but the Yuri part. I have no idea if you're serious but if that stuff was added then it's no longer cgdct but rather a different genre.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:

I'll pass on everything but the Yuri part. I have no idea if you're serious but if that stuff was added then it's no longer cgdct but rather a different genre.

That's because its not supposed to be a typical "CGDCT" series. I am quite serious about this
It has some moments of it, but ultimately its a darker take on the genre.
I would add the shows tagline as: Cute girls doing...not so cute things.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
That's because its not supposed to be a typical "CGDCT" series. I am quite serious about this
That's my point it's no longer cute girls doing "cute" things so you can't call it cgdct. Other shows already exist of cute girls not doing cute things.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:
That's my point it's no longer cute girls doing "cute" things so you can't call it cgdct. Other shows already exist of cute girls not doing cute things.

Like?
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Like?
In a previous post you said "engaging in martial arts fights" well right now toji no Miko is airing and it's about sword fighting girls. If you want dark what about magical girl site. But honestly most anime has cute girl characters and their doing a variety of things. I think the shows you are looking for aren't cgdct.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Random Name wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Like?
In a previous post you said "engaging in martial arts fights" well right now toji no Miko is airing and it's about sword fighting girls. If you want dark what about magical girl site. But honestly most anime has cute girl characters and their doing a variety of things. I think the shows you are looking for aren't cgdct.

They are not, but I want to use certain kinds of media as examples.
Because I want it to be mix of different things. I don't want it be just another CGDCT series. I want it to be other genres like action, lesbian romance, and in some sense...horror.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:59 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Because I want it to be mix of different things. I don't want it be just another CGDCT series. I want it to be other genres like action, lesbian romance, and in some sense...horror.
Isn't that Gakkou Gurashi? A survival horror post apocalyptic anime disguised as a CGDCT type of show, at least in the first episode anyway. spoiler[Nice to see you kept insisting on putting lesbian romance in the mix. ]
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:30 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Heishi wrote:
Isn't that Gakkou Gurashi? A survival horror post apocalyptic anime disguised as a CGDCT type of show, at least in the first episode anyway. spoiler[Nice to see you kept insisting on putting lesbian romance in the mix. ]

Gakkou Gurashi, while yes, fairly dark is nothing compared to what I had in mine. Not to mention the amount of comedic scenes in my show is miniscule compared to Gakkou.
The death scenes in my show are more brutal and graphic. One scene involves a lesbian rival gang member getting burned to death and it shows what her remaining corpse looks like. Another scene involves a girl gutting another girl alive using a chainsaw. (Very much like the scene in Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning) Another scene involves a girl getting shot multiple times even after she's dead by a really really really mean tsundere who happens to be a lesbian and a smoker.
Another scene involves the lynching of a lesbian rival gang member by a group of homophobic girls who are part of a hate gang. Another scene involves another lesbian girl whose head gets sliced off by another girl using a Samurai sword.

As for the yuri scenes...let's just say they are far more explicit than any yuri anime so far, both on the romantic and not so romantic. The not so romantic are inspired by the works of particular doujin artist who specializes in loli yuri. I won't say who it is unless its okay to do by the mods.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3