• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimEigo Offers Bubblegum Crisis Video Series in Standard Edition BD in Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I missed out on the kick starter for the blu-rays.Every time i went and looked for it on a secondary site either it was not available or it was at an outrageous price.
Hopefully i can get this at a reasonable price.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
Nilrem wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide, I rate it much higher than 2040 in most areas (it looks better/more gritty and has one of the best opening scenes in any anime).
2040 had a better/more paced story (2032 got cut short I think), but I prefer the looks and characters in '32.

It's gunna be hard to top 2040's Priss for me Wink Yeah, I have read about the production issues with 2032, and how they tried to complete it with Bubblegum Crash. I think when I first started watching it I was still having difficulties with subs. And yeah, even though its cheesy 80s Konya wa Hurricane isn't too bad
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
meh.. BGC 2040 was a train wreck.. a very expensive train wreck.. ADV paid big $$$ to license it and it flopped.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but the problem is that instead of being on 3 bd50's it'll be on a single bd50 so the video is definitely gonna take a hit.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
Yeah but the problem is that instead of being on 3 bd50's it'll be on a single bd50 so the video is definitely gonna take a hit.

8 episodes on 1 BD disc isn't too bad.
Also remember this is a series that was late 80's early 90's and was never HD to begin with. Comparing my BD version to my DVD version, the BD has been cleaned up and colors appear sharper. I think that Animego has some comparisson screen grabs for more reference.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
zrdb wrote:

8 episodes on 1 BD disc isn't too bad.
Also remember this is a series that was late 80's early 90's and was never HD to begin with. Comparing my BD version to my DVD version, the BD has been cleaned up and colors appear sharper. I think that Animego has some comparisson screen grabs for more reference.

It's a cel animation shot on film. It's more HD than HD anime. You could get a 4k master off it, and it would look better than the Blu-ray.

So 5 and half hours of HD animation on a dual layer Blu-ray disc, plus extras is pushing it some. It will compromise the image quality compared to the kickstarter discs. The question is will it be enough to notice?

For example, the Freedom OVA was originally released by Bandai across 4 BD discs.

When Manga released it on just one BD, the video bitrate was halved, but there was no visible difference in the image quality. But, they did lose the 3 lossless audio tracks and replaced them with two lossy tracks, and the extra features went from 1080 resolution to 576i.

Personally, I'd be happier if the 8 episodes of BGC were spread across two discs instead of just one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2