• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How to keep a mummy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Or did he go off to find a flower to apologize for eating the cake and then just get stuck in a hole for two days, where he was when Tazuki found him? In that case, Tazuki went on this deep emotional journey of which Conny was basically ignorant.

I read it as the latter, but either way, neither of them would be privy to the other's deep emotional journey, so I'm not sure why that matters.

Conny realized he had to make up for his misbehavior and went to find a flower to apologize. When he got stuck that just gave him time to ponder things, like what if Tazuki wouldn't let him come home? What if he wouldn't even come rescue him? On the flip side, if he hadn't gotten stuck, Tazuki wouldn't have had time to miss him so much and be forced deal with his own issues.

Quote:
“Conny was like a kid who caused trouble trying to draw his parents' attention,” Sora hypothesizes. That makes sense, but it's hard to tell if that was really Conny's motive.

Motive for what? Not for running away, since he didn't run away. Sora was talking about Conny eating other people's food, and not listening to Tazuki and his other little ways of acting out. There was nothing unclear about that obviously being his "motive," even if not a conscious part of his thought processes.

I agree that Tazuki's flashback needs completing. I also wonder how he's "heard" that that dragon is doing well. Does it come visit him on occasion? Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I agree that Tazuki's flashback needs completing. I also wonder how he's "heard" that that dragon is doing well. Does it come visit him on occasion? Very Happy

That would be so cute! And while i would appreciate the flashback to be completed, knowing that the little dragon is alive and well is satisfying enough for me...

Tazuki finally inviting Conny to live with him was very adorable and Conny's reaction melted my cold, cynical heart. Awww~!Very Happy
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It feels almost like a zealous editor pushed this story to deliver more action and excitement, and as it struggles to be everything to everyone, it threatens to lose its soul in the process.

As someone who has read the manga, I assure you that this is definitely not the case. If anything, this is what the manga is mostly like - not the "all youkai am the time" part, but there's an actual plot brewing in the background from relatively early on - it's just that the anime has removed most elements of it (including, so far, the way Tazuki is connected to it all and why he can't tell Sora about the dragon incident). They probably knew that 12 episodes wouldn't be enough to cover anything so they decided to just be episodic.

Quote:
It brings up a lot of uncomfortable questions about whether it's ethical to keep supernatural creatures as pets

Mii-kun, Conny and the others are not pets, though. In fact, I think Sora even tells Mugi that it's the bad guys who want to collect the creatures and sell them as pets and whatnot. Sora et al are pretty much protecting the creatures, not keeping them as pets. (Mukumuku is sort of an exception.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved this episode, so I'm not sure what Lauren is complaining about re its shift in tone. It's been brewing for a few episodes now, but the early no-stakes episodes were necessary for world-building to get here.

Quote:
It brings up a lot of uncomfortable questions about whether it's ethical to keep supernatural creatures as pets

I suppose so, if you've ever viewed them as pets. What's been uncomfortable is that the kids often do treat them as pets, even though they can read and write.

There was a weird bit in the subtitles, where Motegi clearly calls Aa and Uu -chan but the subs still use -kun. I guess they were trying to be consistent, since Sora always used -kun, but there are times when that doesn't make sense. Anyway, Mii's trying to pet Aa's head was too adorable. Smile

Quote:
Now the oni we meet are humanoid, wearing clothes, carrying on conversations...

Well, some of them.

I'd love to know what that conversation was about. Wink
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Aw it's only lasting twelve episodes? That makes me sad. I must have more of this cuteness!
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I loved this episode, so I'm not sure what Lauren is complaining about re its shift in tone. It's been brewing for a few episodes now, but the early no-stakes episodes were necessary for world-building to get here

Yeah, last week it was "too childish" and now it's "too high-stakes"? But i certainly wouldn't mind another season to go more in-depth into this world and to find out what this collector business is all about (and to see more of the cuteness, of course!). I also loved the parallels between the Aa & Uu and the Sora & Tazuki relationship in this episode! Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
There's also the inconsistency of complaining two weeks ago that Tazuki's story lacked payoff and was missing pieces, and now complaining about tonal shift because those pieces look like they'll get filled in, like it hasn't always been clear that that backstory is a traumatic one. While I agreed that it needed follow-up, I didn't see it as a flaw at the time, since I felt like they would get around to it.

I'm really hoping for a second season because 1) I don't think they'll have time to work in the story behind Daichi's neck scar, 2) I'm sure many questions about Mii will remain, and 3) minimum daily kawaii requirements.

Btw, am I the only one who finds the non-deformed part of dance at the end kinda creepy? There's something in their eyes that looks zombie-like or possessed. I don't think this is intentional, but just the way they're drawn seems to be pinging my uncanny valley nodes every time I see it.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:55 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adore this show, but I do agree that the pacing has kind of been all over the place. I think it really needed more than twelve episodes, especially since we've barely seen Daichi and Mukumuku despite their being main characters (and Mii-kun's very existence seems to be a mystery that won't be solved). Another season would be nice, but even if we don't get it, I'll still consider this anime a favorite for a long time, I think. I could never be upset with Mii-kun, after all.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, am I the only one who finds the non-deformed part of dance at the end kinda creepy? There's something in their eyes that looks zombie-like or possessed. I don't think this is intentional, but just the way they're drawn seems to be pinging my uncanny valley nodes every time I see it.

Definitely. I thought Motegi in particular was gonna be a psycho once she got introduced because of that ED.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
While it would have been nice if the collectors plot had somehow connected to Tazuki's backstory, i was glad it didn't take up the entire episode and we still got our weekly dose of cuteness (and since nobody batted an eye at the "lashing and burning", i chose to rather take it figuratively than literally...).

This anime wasn't on my list at all and turned out to be one of the shows i was most looking forward to every week. It always managed to put a smile on my face, so i'm definitely gonna miss Mii-kun and friends.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It makes me sad that the show is now over. I already miss Mii-kun so very much. Crying or Very sad
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm really going to miss this series. Mii-kun is the Pharaoh of Cuteness, hands down. Nothing and no one could come close to him in that.

Now I need a Mii-kun for myself. Anime cry
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Lauren's complaints these last couple of episodes remind me of those old Reese's ads - you got adventure in my cuteness show! Mad You got cuteness in my adventure show! Mad To me it all tastes great. Very Happy

This is one of those exceedingly rare series I just might have to seek out the manga for. >.>

@ Lactobacillus: No doubt there will soon be squeezy plushies available.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Plushies are already available! (And there must be an Isao plushie as well, I remember seeing the producer with it.) And the DVDs come with huggable heads like this one.
And there's a lot more... The show was developed in partnership with Sanrio so as you might imagine, there's a lot of Mii-kun merch.

Anyway, I don't understand the reviewer's complaints either. (Perhaps they were just thrown off-balance by the show not doing what they expected it to do.) I absolutely loved this anime - I never expected to fall in love with it when I started watching, but by now I just can't wait to get more. I'm already reading the manga (slowly, now that I've caught up with the releases and am forced to use comico) but I wish there was more of the anime, too.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:11 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Plushies are already available! (And there must be an Isao plushie as well, I remember seeing the producer with it.) And the DVDs come with huggable heads like this one.
And there's a lot more... The show was developed in partnership with Sanrio so as you might imagine, there's a lot of Mii-kun merch.

Gods, if only I didn't live in a country where importing things is insanely expensive!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4