• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kim Kardashian Says Darling in the Franxx's Zero Two Inspired Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
By the way

this is the first image that appears in both variations.

Aww yeah. Cool (Sorry, can’t help myself with references to that series. Pay no mind to this post and continue with your day.)
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I searched for pink hair anime girl and pink haired anime girl and unless I missed something, I didn't find Zero Two anywhere near the top results for either variation, so I think that throws cold water on that theory. Not that you believed it.

By the way

this is the first image that appears in both variations.

That's because Google obviously knows who the real best girl is Cool
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime is popular.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Well, she could've easily just searched Google for "pink haired anime girls" or something and found it fairly quickly. But even if she did, and I don't actually think that, it doesn't matter because she has every right to see cool art and be inspired by it. And if she says she's inspired by anime, personally, I'm inclined to think that her and Kanye are watching this show. It seems like exactly the kind of thing I'd expect the two of them to watch, to be honest. lol

I searched for pink hair anime girl and pink haired anime girl and unless I missed something, I didn't find Zero Two anywhere near the top results for either variation, so I think that throws cold water on that theory. Not that you believed it.

My point was more that I don't think it would be too difficult, or unlikely, for her to stumble on a picture of 002 randomly on the internet. But yeah, as stated, I don't think it matters either way, and I don't find it hard to believe that she might enjoy anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I really don't care if she likes it or not, but reposting art without the artist's permission and not even crediting them is really shitty and against Internet Fandom Ethics 101
MJKS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Chroma wrote:
@MJKS
I'm not the most optimistic of people. Something like what was reported here only makes me anxious and upset.

I get you, man. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be looking back at this as nothing more than an amusing oddity before long. Like when Snoop Twitter-declared that Neptunia was his waifu.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Turns out the pink haired girl who serves as her "inspo" is 02. Wow, actually I'm quite surprised since DarliFra is a recent anime and is not as mainstream as Dragon Ball or Naruto or Sailor Moon. Perhaps without our knowledge she is actually an avid anime fan?

But yea, I agree that it's a shitty practice if she reposted some fanart without linking to the source or crediting the artist. It's been a "standard" procedure mostly outside Japan to repost art without the artist's knowledge/permission, and I hope more people have awareness to this issue.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500, it's funny that both Zero Two and Lala share the same Japanese seiyuu and that Kentaro Yabuki is the manga-ka for the manga version of "Franxx".
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Huh. Wasn’t expecting the inspiration to be Franxx. While I’m not concerned about what she does with herself or whether or not she is “really” an anime fan, picking Franxx seems indicate to me at least that this is more than just a “I love anime! Those Chinese cartoons are great!” move on her part.

Honestly, I was actually pretty surprised to find out she watches this show. But I wouldn't blame anyone for picking something more popular like Naruto or Dragon Ball if they genuinely like it.

Soulwarfare wrote:
Well since her husband Kanye seems to have some interest in anime, I kind of expected Kim might as well.

Guess I was right but I am not sure if I am happy about it...

...I actually forgot she's married to Kanye West. That guy is quite the character.

Vannil wrote:
I was not expecting her to be inspired by 02 from Franxx. I do hope this doesn't cause any unwarranted draw from commentators, who go and watch Darling in the Franxx and are like "Kim Kardashian likes cartoons about teenage sex robots" and causes drama. Otherwise, I'll eat my words from the previous article.

Well, stories about "teenage sex robots," actually, does sound like the sort of thing she would watch. And, with the earlier mention that Kanye is her husband, FRANXX does also make sense, in hindsight, of the sort of show he would introduce her to.

Chroma wrote:
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
global medium enjoyed by everyone and not just in the realm of basements dwelling nerds, and that’s a great thing.

This is exactly what I'm against, though. Every hobby I've been in that's become a "global medium enjoyed by everyone" has only declined in quality after becoming so popular. I prefer things I like to be ignored or looked down on. I don't expect anyone to understand or agree, but something like a Kardashian promoting their love for a show rubs me the absolute wrong way.

@MJKS
I'm not the most optimistic of people. Something like what was reported here only makes me anxious and upset.

Well, let's put it this way: There aren't very many fans of Dziga Vertov or Winsor McCay these days. Or the Tracey Ullman episodes of The Simpsons. Some things increase in quality when they become popular. But I guess the big thing is "every hobby [you've] been into," which I wouldn't know. I'm in at least one hobby that's very niche, however, whose fans are conducing a multi-million dollar effort to make become more popular (but this is because it used to be popular, then suffered a calamitous crash into obscurity that then severely affected the quality of its new material as the fandom became too small to support anything of remarkable quality).

Also, it's kind of amusing to me a bit, as I was just reading the TV Tropes article for "It's Popular, Now It Sucks a couple of hours prior.

shiranehito wrote:

But yea, I agree that it's a shitty practice if she reposted some fanart without linking to the source or crediting the artist. It's been a "standard" procedure mostly outside Japan to repost art without the artist's knowledge/permission, and I hope more people have awareness to this issue.

I don't know if I'm weird or not, but I honestly don't mind if my own art is used somewhere else without crediting me, as long as they don't claim it as their own. There hasn't been that much, really, as I don't really put much of it up in the first place and it's not that good, but I was always the sort to care more about my art far, far more than myself. (To that end, I put up all of it anonymously where possible.)

It's also possible that Kim got it from a secondary or tertiary source she stumbled upon, of which the artist is unknown.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:44 am Reply with quote
I still don't buy it, her being "obsessed" with Anime. In all the years that woman has been in the spotlight, there was no indication she was into anime. At best, she had Hello Kitty items.

No, this is just another publicity stunt by her, appropriating Anime as her latest fad.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Chroma wrote:
I don't care if it's considered "gate-keeping" - in some sense, I'm proud to do it - but to me, this is absolutely terrible. I just want a hobby that doesn't end up getting name-dropped by celebrities, or used as a label in the same way comics/Star Wars/etc. are nowadays. I saw how, only a few years ago, the Western comic fandom was devastated by an influx of people who used it as a 'cool geek' kind of thing and (while the movies and merch are making money) comics themselves have suffered a ton in quality and sales since then. Between stuff like what Kim is doing and the increasing efforts of Hollywood to make an anime movie hit, I have a horrible feeling about the future.
Won't somebody think of the real oppression - the oppression against nerds?!

Seriously, people like you are what give the anime and geek community a bad name. When stuff starts getting popular, or more popular than it already was (let's not forget anime is a multibillion dollar industry,) people like you are what scare off newcomers. People like you are what give normal people who are into anime a bad name. The reason there's a stereotype about nerds being exclusive, reactionary zealots? Comments like yours.

I spend untold amounts of cash on BRs, books, and figures (especially Nendos lol) per year, but I would never shout down somebody saying they liked anime who didn't have that level of "commitment." Because ultimately, anime isn't a way of life. It's not a race. It's not a gender identity or sexual orientation. It's a passive hobby. It doesn't define you. And if it gets more or less popular, if there are more or less "casual" fans... who cares? It doesn't change a damn thing.

Grow up.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I still don't buy it, her being "obsessed" with Anime. In all the years that woman has been in the spotlight, there was no indication she was into anime. At best, she had Hello Kitty items.

No, this is just another publicity stunt by her, appropriating Anime as her latest fad.
Just because she's not wearing a No Game No Life shirt, quoting Evangelion, showing off her Gundam collection, or some arbitrary bullshit like that, you're so quick to write off her liking something? I shudder to think of how you present yourself to the world.

Also LMAO @ "appropriating anime," like it's some high and mighty religion and art form, and not a multibillion dollar international industry. That's like saying somebody is "appropriating," say, sitcoms or Marvel movies.

Grow uuup.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:06 am Reply with quote
I hate that I'm commenting on this, but whatever.

When people compare this to other examples of famous people liking anime, I don't think it's a good comparison, because it's not about someone being famous, it's about what they're famous for, and I have no clue what this family is even famous for, so it can't be anything very worthwhile. Y'know, like, when Robin Williams put his Evangelion figure in One Hour Photo, he didn't do it for the ~likes~ or ~social media IMPRESSIONS~ or what have you. Whereas with these people, Instagram seems to be 90% of what they're about. Nonsense.

Surprising it's a current anime though.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:04 am Reply with quote
This may very well have been an ad-buy from Sony or whoever was mentioned earlier as controlling the production principals involved in this anime.

Anyway, I don't take Kim Kardashian seriously at all. She's famous for being in a popular sex tape and being the daughter of the guy who defended O.J. Simpson and then she suddenly had a "reality" TV show on a dumb cable channel. At least with Samuel L. Jackson, who was brought up earlier, he has a connection going back decades as he once talked about seeing movies like Lone Wolf & Cub on VHS bootlegs, back in the Medieval times of home video (aka 80s) when you had to go seek out Asian films in specific places, and virtually none of them were commercially released on video.

And SLJ's much cooler than 500 Kardashians put together.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:48 am Reply with quote
Darling in the FranXX endorsed by the Kardashians. 100 million followers of the great K. will enjoy the patriarchy's counterstrike to the female war on heteronormativity.
Oh my how it must burn. Laughing After this, no one is going to forget about DITF.
02 is already a character engrained into the social consciousness of all. Twisted Evil
Aniplex must be counting the greens with upmost glee.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5