• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I don't quite get what characters like Climb and Brain are. Were they part of the npc cast in the original game or player-created characters or have they come into existence since the shut-down of the server in whatever this world is now?

As far as I know Ains is the only player stuck in the game that we know of so far. Everyone else so far is an NPC. My understanding is that since Ains got stuck in the game, NPCs became more intelligent or human-like. A bit like in Log Horizon. I could very well be wrong though someone can correct me if that's the case.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I didn't think they were player characters, but I thought they might be player-created characters, like the Nazarick characters, since they have names and aren't just random npcs populating towns and such.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yeah, I didn't think they were player characters, but I thought they might be player-created characters, like the Nazarick characters, since they have names and aren't just random npcs populating towns and such.

I don't want to spoil anything for you (as I have for myself). I'll just say that spoiler[the only "NPCs" are the ones that came with Ains and the Tomb. The people you run into outside of there, like the two mentioned earlier, are *not* NPCs, as far as I am aware.] Hopefully that doesn't reveal anything beyond what was asked by your question.

Last edited by Tuor_of_Gondolin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I personally am ok with that, but I think you should probably tag it anyway. Thanks. Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I don't want to spoil anything for you (as I have for myself). I'll just say that the only "NPCs" are the ones that came with Ains and the Tomb. The people you run into outside of there, like the two mentioned earlier, are *not* NPCs, as far as I am aware. Hopefully that doesn't reveal anything beyond what was asked by your question.

@tuor your reply is not in anyway a spoiler,.The first episode chose to adapt two conversations.Conversations which provide anime viewers information and confirmation about arrivals of players&npcs from the game world YGGDRASIL.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I personally am ok with that, but I think you should probably tag it anyway. Thanks. Smile

This season is telling the heart of overarching story line(rather well),but in the end of course, it's just a brief synopsis.
The season's first episode included two conversations which,besides teasing readers of the novel,are intended to provide anime viewers information about those that arrive from the game world YGGDRASIL.

Edit: This will answer your speculation,if you want an answer that is,and without spoiling anything from the novel.spoiler[ As it currently stands the New World is a real world and those native to it are real beings.]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9,

Good action this ep, Sebas being a badass, Climb doing his best, Brain being a bro. It's nice when side characters are likable for different reasons. And the golden princess finally shows her true self as well heh, there's always room for more yanderes.

I wonder if they'll manage to wrap up the fight with the six arms next episode, we still got the invasion to cover.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Ughhhh.. I'm not sure if this is turning into such a slog because I have ZERO interest in Climb or if it is because Climb's antics just feel like a bunch of wheel spinning until we get to Sebas doing something. I really feel like Climb should be in a more self-contained story for his efforts to improve. As it is, the character feels like a distraction from the REAL story. I'm fairly certain that EVENTUALLY his role will pay off, but since he wasn't introduced until recently I really don't care what he's doing at this particular level, especially since they keep teasing Sebas' mission and even larger world intrigue (like Blue Rose).
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I've honestly really liked these last 2 episodes. It's a bit of a bummer that we still didn't get to see Ains confront Sebas, but I feel like this show manages to be interesting even without Ains. I like Climb and the show has managed to make Brain interesting for me as well.

I already mentioned it in the series thread, but the way that scene right before the ending theme transitioned to that ending's short glimpse of a murderous looking Renner was super cool.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think they have been spoiler[hinting that some of the legendary hero's or beings from the past, maybe, players from the game.]. If so, spoiler[this may indicate the Great Tomb of Nazarick are late comers to this new world from the game world.]
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9: Man, the "Six Arms assemble!" post-credits scene disappoints me so much because it could have been the golden opportunity to the do the (spoilers for book 6, which starts next episode) spoiler["introduce all the new characters as they're being killed" gag with Sebas]. Aside from that, while I won't say that the focus on Generic Warrior Boy makes later stuff more worthwhile, I do want to just make sure y'all keep yourselves strapped in, because now we'll be getting to the good stuff from this arc Wink
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Personally, I think they have been spoiler[hinting that some of the legendary hero's or beings from the past, maybe, players from the game.]. If so, spoiler[this may indicate the Great Tomb of Nazarick are late comers to this new world from the game world.]

The first episode of this season went out of it's way to drive home the point players&npcs from the game YGGDRASIL have arrived before.

The anime included a conversation,between two of the most underdeveloped characters in the novel,to show off a 'Rubix Cube' left behind by their gods.

Pulled a scene from a later volume, the dragon and old lady,to point that the timeline of these players&npcs arrivals.Anime went so far as to change the dragon's dialogue into outright naming YGGDRASIL.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode nine and folks are still asking where is Ainz...

Though only a synopsis,anime is following the light novel closely,the heart of the over arching story line is still coming through clearly.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
this episode was quite alright. to be honest Climb´s character turned out way lets obnoxious in the anime, in the LN it was boring to say the least to read through his whole life routine, by cutting content the anime actually made him more interesting by leaving some stuff to people's imagination. while we are at it, I was surprised by how brain turned out, I swear he didn't sound nowhere near this charming in the book, it was clear he does mellow out through his redemption character arc but he didn't seem quite as dreamy in the LN as he does here (and I am a straight dude), props to the voice actor I guess.

I understand how one can be tempted to dismiss Succulent's rambling as anime indulging in exposition as expected, but if you pay attention you can realize it was actually one of his tactics, by giving a long explanation to his opponents he misleads them into expecting what he just said without realizing he gave them false information. for instance when he told climb how he distributed his efforts into two classes thus he might be weaker than climb in straight melee (he is indeed way less skilled in swordsmanship than a comparable warrior, but climb is not supposed to even reach that point of comparison yet), that was a taunt to make climb more daring. or when he went out of his way to tel Brain "yeah I can kill you, I´ll kill you then I'll kill that kid behind you" that was in order to get Brain not to expect him attacking Climb first then lower his morale. While all this was explained by the narrator in the book I believe it can be easily deduced in the anime by itself, in that sense I think they did a good job

regarding that guy who asked if Brain's name was the author meaning Brian and not knowing better. you know, there is also the possibility that he never meant to give him a English name to begin with. sometimes native English speakers forget that not all western medieval settings have to be English based, if you look back to this series, leaving aliases (such as EvilEye) aside, English names have actually been the minority so far. Stronoff, Renner, Laykus, none of those sound Anglo based to me. and well all of this is leaving aside that the Empire's names seem Roman-ish and the Holy Republic's seem Spanish based, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10,

Some clarification for anime only viewers:

In case you missed it, that was Pandora's Actor, disguised as Ainz, that passed judgement on Sebas. You can tell from how flamboyant he was and how he kept correcting himself to stay in character The real Ainz was there for their second meeting, which is why he said he wanted to see what Tuare looked like since he had not seen her before. I think it was a precaution just in case Sebas was a traitor and he tried attacking Ainz during his questioning.

Also, Tuare's sister was the girl who was disguised as a boy in season one and who was tortured and killed by Clementine. She had mentioned her sister had been kidnapped and was searching for her, and that was Tuare.

Finally, in the last scene, Albedo has the flag of the guild (Ainz Ooal Gown) on the floor and Momonga's personal flag hanging in her room (Momonga is Ainz's original name before he took on the name of the guild). She never liked that he changed his name, as she's only loyal to him and not to the guild (thanks to her setting changes he made).\

I've always been curious of Ainz could change their settings after being brought into this world as he does have access to menus and stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15