• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV to Have 4 More DLC Episodes Releasing in 2018-2019

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they don't model later releases like this.
But if they fix the plot holes, maybe they will learn "hey instead of trying to jam the game full of endless filler to pad out the game to make it seem a better value, we should get it right the first time!"

Meanwhile the game still can't turn in a stable framerate at all on consoles.

Just imagine the shit show FFVII:R will be with 3 separate releases. It will only be worse I bet you.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 pm Reply with quote
hack5 wrote:

For real right now I am playing trails of cold steel on pc joke is i already played it on the vita and guess what I got the whole game not piece of a story the only DLC is for costumes and items like it should be.

ToCS is kind of a bad example of a "complete game", considering it ends in a major cliffhanger that requires buying the sequel to resolve.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
I really hope they don't model later releases like this.
But if they fix the plot holes, maybe they will learn "hey instead of trying to jam the game full of endless filler to pad out the game to make it seem a better value, we should get it right the first time!"

Meanwhile the game still can't turn in a stable framerate at all on consoles.

Just imagine the shit show FFVII:R will be with 3 separate releases. It will only be worse I bet you.
The framework is fine for me on a regular PS4 so I’m not sure what is the issue with your particular copy or console.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
@Juno016 Kingdom Hearts 3 started per-production in 2006. That´s the exactly year Versus XIII was announced at TGS. I still remember the day, as i saw the CG trailer for what became XV on the day it was released on gametrailers. So the game had an even longer road to release that XV at this point...
Cancelling it and re-starting with an actual director at the helm (just not Motomu Toriyama) might have put me at ease, yet here we are. Dito for FF VII. Yet here we are. Still without a release date or even a vertical slice being shown to the press! I was in 9th (?) grade when KH 2 came out, yet will likely be in my 30s when the proper sequel comes around if they get it done by Christmas season. And who knows, i may age another decade when XVI get´s done.

Long story short, the HD generation might as well have destroyed the company. At least the Fabula Nova Crystallis crap was mostly abandoned with XV. So Motomu Toriyama and Naoki Yoshida (he turned around XIV) are the only people i trust at SE. They actually bother to release console games. Hell, i even have a Platinum Trophy in XV. So hooray for Toriyama´s ability to polish a skeleton of a game into an RPG of the year contender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I recall a time a long ago when you bought an RPG and got to play the whole damn thing. Guess I'm getting old Confused

You and me both. Along with this idea of paying $50-70 for a game, then having to keep paying to actually get the "whole" game? No way. It is the one downside of the newest consoles, even if I do love my PS4.

I quite liked FF XV, but I'm not going to pay to get extra content - either it is part of the game and should have been in the release, or its just extras that are irrelevant.
hack5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
hack5 wrote:

For real right now I am playing trails of cold steel on pc joke is i already played it on the vita and guess what I got the whole game not piece of a story the only DLC is for costumes and items like it should be.

ToCS is kind of a bad example of a "complete game", considering it ends in a major cliffhanger that requires buying the sequel to resolve.

I don't think its a bad example,Cold Steel is a continuation of a game that have different parts and as you said it ended on a cliffhanger to continue which is completely different to paying money to play fix pieces of a game that has already ended i say its time to move on to FF16.
The Bandsaw Vigilante

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Collectonian wrote:
You and me both. Along with this idea of paying $50-70 for a game, then having to keep paying to actually get the "whole" game? No way. It is the one downside of the newest consoles, even if I do love my PS4.

That's mischaracterizing the situation slightly -- the vast majority of gameplay additions and updates/improvements have been released completely free of charge, long after the original "paid" DLC expansions were announced by the studio.

Collectonian wrote:
I quite liked FF XV, but I'm not going to pay to get extra content - either it is part of the game and should have been in the release, or its just extras that are irrelevant.

Ardyn's backstory is pretty relevant to the game's storyline, and it was the option I voted for in that in-game poll that Square Enix posted last year -- glad they're exploring it, as he was the most compelling main villain the series has had in ages.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am Reply with quote
My problems with this are purely personal and not at all objective: Thus far, I have just had little to no interest in Final Fantasy XV. XII is my favourite game, and I enjoyed XIII and what I finished of XIII-2, but for reasons I can't explain, I've been very apathetic about this one ever since it was rebranded from Versus XIII. Something about the premise, the playable characters, and the combat system just...don't do it for me. I can't even criticise the game because I can't figure out my own issues with it.

That in mind, this announcement sort of blows for me. I was kind of hoping that, following all of the previously-dropped Episode of DLC's, along with the launch-time OVA's and other media, that they'd call it done and move on to XVI, or at least some XIII trilogy collection for the PlayStation 4 (games could really use some frame rate upgrades). I've hoped for a while against all odds that they'd do something with Agni besides technical demonstrations; Agni's Philosophy was legitimately the most interesting-looking thing I'd seen since XII.

But I can see why a XV fan would be over-joyed at this, and it is quite impressive that Square Enix are belting out so much support for it. I've taken to favouring a more economic approach to gaming, so I probably wouldn't invest in this until all the DLC is out, when they inevitably offer everything as part of some complete edition at a drastically-reduced price. Who knows? Maybe I'll get around to at least trying it some time in the future.

Last edited by Gatherum on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I recall a time a long ago when you bought an RPG and got to play the whole damn thing.

Across multiple discs Razz
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
so buying the royal edition is worthless because it's not the complete game... ok then
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2