• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is It Worth Collecting Anime On VHS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
VHS is the only way I could have seen Dragon Century, as it has never been officially released in any other format except laserdisc, and that seems to be nigh impossible to find. Not that I would have the means to play a laserdisc anyway, and I know that format wears out easily. I have a few others, like Slayers, Sakura Wars, the fourth Project A-Ko (subbed), the Sailor Moon S and Super S movies (subbed), and Dragon League, which will sadly never be complete due to the rest of the series never coming out on VHS beyond the first two episodes.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Actually my DBZ tape with episodes 68-70 (Japanese numbering) has some dubbed scenes at the very beginning not available anywhere else (they were cut/paste from ep. 67, and completely rescripted and redubbed in 2006 for the uncut release). It was FUNi's very first DBZ tape.

I know which episode you're referring to because it was also on the first Captain Ginyu saga DVD that I used to have. FUNi used full branching on that one because in addition to the added ep 67 footage, there was also some censoring done so the only way to watch the uncensored video was through the Japanese version on the disc.
Nemoide

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
There are some VHS anime I have a strong nostalgic connection to and won't get rid of those tapes unless they get license-rescued. The subtitled versions of the Devilman OVAs and probably the highlight of my anime-tape collection. I have the Panzer Dragoon OVA because of deep nostalgia, even though it's absolutely terrible. I have Zillion because it's *kind of* cool but mostly because I like the Sega Master System game. Ai City is a kind of fun for being a baffling mess. And I have the entire run of Heidi, Girl of the Alps in raw Japanese and have not yet committed to dropping a few hundred on importing the blu-ray set. They're all worth having to me! But I'd get rid of my tapes in a heartbeat if I could easily get them on a better format.

I'm much more into laserdisc collecting when I want anime that's not easily available on DVD/blu-ray. The video quality is higher, the audio quality is *much* higher, the covers are often gorgeous, and I don't mind importing Japanese releases. And I'm pleased to see Blue Sonnet mentioned earlier in the thread because that's one of my favorites!
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I still have some old vhs releases that never made it to dvd like Lensman, Compiler, Kotetsu, Leda-The Fantastic Adventure Of Yohko, The Blade Of Kumui and a few more. Most of my other ones were copied to dvd and I got rid of them.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The only anime VHS tapes I still have around are the old Fox tape of Totoro which has the Streamline dub on it and the infamous Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy dubs.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, that reminds me of how I had to double and triple check what did or didn't come out on DVD - Miss China's Ring in particular I nearly missed since the DVD was already rare and expensive all those years ago.

I had to be sure because I used to do a series of panels for local cons called "VHS Anime That Didn't Make DVD". I hauled around a VHS player and a stack of tapes to show clips from for the proper VHS experience. Truly, I was an idiot.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
Actually, I have a soft spot in my heart for VHS-era anime trailers in general.

In the early days before rental or streaming, VHS anime trailers were literally the ONLY way you could hear of a title and decide whether it was for you--Since you had to go all in and buy the tape just to watch it.
Anime on the Internet could barely talk about it with a graphic or two, so VHS trailers had to sell an often ridiculous and over-the-top plot in two minutes, usually either with an AMV or the OP song, or in the better trailers, with some actual ad-copy that could explain the plot in a way that made it look like an actual series.
Until DVD came along, and then you could hide five or six of them away on the bonus menu and get right to the show.

I remember asking one fan to dig out his last old ADV VHS tapes from the 90's, since that was the only place that still had an archival copy of the original "Do It Now" trailers from the glory days--
After DVD came along, ADV switched to a new "ADV on DVD" trailer, and....no, just wasn't the same, somehow. Sad

Ggultra2764 wrote:
Still, there are some diamonds in the rough worth hunting down since VHS is the only means to view them here in the states. Titles that come to mind for me are Leiji Matsumoto's The Cockpit, Ultimate Teacher, several Rumic Theater shorts (Mermaid's Scar and Laughing Target), and Spirit of Wonder: Miss China's Ring.

Yes, archiving MIA rights-lost 90's titles (which mostly seem to be from Streamline and AnimEIgo) is pretty much THE first, last, and only value vintage VHS tapes have, if there's no alternative.
Licensing limbo that kept them off of disk isn't our fault, but as long as there's at least one actual surviving source until a better one comes along.

Cynicat wrote:
Optical discs got rid of many of those problems. DVDs were good (even Video CDs were better than VHS!), but Blurays are much better.

Ohh, yah--Even I, in my '99 days, was so desperate to escape VHS, I still have Japanese and HK VCD's of some of the last undisked missing titles (Macross: DYRL, On Your Mark, Doraemon '79).
It looks just as bad as VHS today, and maybe worse, but we didn't care: Once you went no-rewind-no-destruct with DVD/disk, you didn't go back. For anything.

(And I remember it was '99, because that was also the year we thought traitorous DiVX supporter George Lucas was in a "conspiracy" not to release Phantom Menace and the SW OT on DVD in the US out of spite, so we all went out on eBay and bought the Australian VCD's....Just to show 'im.
That's how in-demand VHS's were by that point, and that's almost twenty years ago.)

Cain Highwind wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Anyway, here's a fun one from Media Blasters, where the first 30 seconds of CGI are so eye-bleedingly bad it makes Food Fight look acceptable (the rest of the promo vid is funny in other ways though)

How wonderfully nostalgic and I've never even heard of those anime titles before.

NEVER...HEARD...of Elf Princess Rane or Shinesman?? Shocked
I'll concede that you don't hear many fans talking about "Ninja Cadets" or "Sailor Victory" nowadays, but to only miss out on two of the founding historical turning points of 90's fan acceptance of anime-comedy dubs??

I recommend seeking these out for further study of fan history. More to the point, they're both on DVD by now.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:
VHS does not deteriorate "just sitting there on the shelf."

Actually it does. It's just as prone to degradation if poorly stored as any other media. Books get bookworm and mould, vinyl gets warped, laserdiscs get rot, DVDs get delaminated, and I'm sure Blu-ray will show up some new horror. Magnetic tape if stored poorly will degrade. But kept in proper conditions, it will last for decades and more. They're remastering vinyl again, in some case from master tapes over 60 or 70 years old, and cinema audio used to be recorded magnetically for much of the analogue era.

But magnetic media throws up another path of failure that discs don't; the cassette, which is of particular relevance to VHS, and also to audio cassette. This is one instance where the media is reliant on the quality of moving parts, the reels and rollers and so on. Cassettes rely on dry lubricant to keep the parts moving, and that lubricant can evaporate. The trouble is that studios and distributors opted for the lowest bidder to manufacture the video and audio cassettes that they released movies and TV, and albums on.

I've recently had some negative experiences with both audio and video. I've long since divested myself of most of my VHS collection, but I still had that one Star Trek series that I had no intention of double dipping on. I found myself in need of storage space, and decided to give Voyager one final watch before throwing the tapes out. Pulled out my old VCR, hooked it up to my late, lamented CRT TV (it died last week and I still feel the pain), and started watching my way through 80 tapes. Of the 80, over half now squeaked their way through playback, about ten stretched and distorted playback, losing colour, losing stereo, introducing tape artefacts or roll, and two just stuck.

And last year, I got the urge to play some audio cassettes, all those mixtapes I'd meticulously made as a teenager, all those albums I bought on tape when my universe consisted of what I could see, and what I could drown out with my walkman, tapes that I never bothered double-dipping to CD. Same deal, all those store bought, pre-recorded albums were released on cassettes made by the lowest bidder. About thirty of them ground to a halt in my tape deck, or distorted playback. However, every blank tape that I bought, paid a wodge for the quality, plays now as they did 30 years ago.
You meant to contradict my statement but just backed it up. It's not inevitable that VHS kicks the bucket, in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, as earlier commenters suggested; It's how people store & use it (plus the quality of the tape,obviously. Disney tapes will last longer & nicer than Family Home Entertainment) and as I have many videos that have simply been on the shelf, waiting for when I want to watch them again ( I always have a working VCR), not been meticulously stored in a facility with sophisticated temperature control, it's not something that requires a lot of time, effort, and money.

You, then, go on to talk about your own things stuffed in boxes. Laughing 80 tapes is a lot to watch in one go, especially for recently out of storage tapes on a recently out of storage VCR. I've had some audio cassettes crap out but they've been of the Disney Afternoon variety (i.e. kid me played the hell out of them); Plus, my cassette player has never sat completely idle. When I say "left on the shelf", I mean left on the rec room shelf where they've been for years, right alongside the DVDs and Blu-rays that have joined them. Same with cassettes on the stereo shelf.

Last edited by CandisWhite on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I only have one movie on vhs still, its very important to me, Samson & Sally (it's not on dvd)
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
VHS is the only way I can watch the Streamline dub of Dirty Pair: Project Eden and the Fox dub of My Neighbor Totoro--both all-time favorites of mine. So I still have a soft spot for the format Smile .
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I like to thrift shop and frequent stores that sell used dvds and books so I come across anime stuff including VHS every so often and if it's something I like I don't hesitate to pick it up because it rarely ever costs more than a buck or so and even if its something I already have or could get on DVD or Blu-ray I get it anyway for the little extras and trailers you sometimes can find on those releases that you can't find on the disc version. Like I recently got the Ranma OVAs on Blu-ray but I already had found the OVA collection on VHS in a thrift store for like 5 bucks. And the blu-ray does not have those adorable little anti piracy PSA's on them. Haha I lived for the treasure of hearing Ranma tell me "Don't go making those bootleg tapes!!" Some stuff like that you can find on youtube but not always.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 am Reply with quote
I've replaced most of my old VHS, but I do find it hard to let go of two old Streamline tapes of "Nadia" that have the first 8 episodes dubbed. It's just how I saw the show first, and fell in love with it.

I mostly avoided dubs when given a choice, but I did pick up the dubbed version of "Shinesman" based on buzz in rec.arts.anime.misc, and still have it. Good times...

Never seen the dub for "Elf Princess Rane" (or, "Fairy Princess Ren," as fans used to call it prior to its licensing), but if they pulled that one off successfully, I'll bet it was a blast!
KariOhki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
As a collector of old video games I can see the like, want to collect VHSes for nostalgia factor. I personally bought the two tapes of the Sakura Wars OVA because of that reason - saw them at con so no shipping. Also I own some of the subtitled version of Cardcaptor Sakura because the tape version was only $30 vs the DVD's $40. Same amount of episodes, even.
I even imported some Japanese tapes of Digimon Adventure, 02, and Tamers, since importing a Japanese DVD 1) required a region-free player that I didn't have at the time, and 2) were upwards of $60 after all the fees.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

You, then, go on to talk about your own things stuffed in boxes. Laughing 80 tapes is a lot to watch in one go, especially for recently out of storage tapes on a recently out of storage VCR. I've had some audio cassettes crap out but they've been of the Disney Afternoon variety (i.e. kid me played the hell out of them); Plus, my cassette player has never sat completely idle. When I say "left on the shelf", I mean left on the rec room shelf where they've been for years, right alongside the DVDs and Blu-rays that have joined them. Same with cassettes on the stereo shelf.

With enough VHS tapes and enough time, whatever can go wrong did go wrong and I was working with VHS for as long as I was working with DVD, mid 80s to once I got my first DVD player in 99. What kind of things happened?

Broken spools.
Broken guards.
Fused spools.
Tapes being chewed in VCRs/ tape rewinders. Abyss SE... ok, that one was just too much tape for one cassette.

Playback issues... things that can go wrong after pressing "play".

Image destruction
Dirty rental tapes making the player dirty.
Dirty player smearing the tapes
Tracking/ tracking chasing "I just had it set, why are you doing it again?"
Ahem, SP, EP, SLP. It didn't take me long to fear those last two abbreviations on manufactured tapes. Funny that I didn't have much of an issue using them to record. Then again, I used the highest quality tapes.

Ejecting. Don't even ask... The earliest one I had was a pop up top loader, I have no idea why they thought that was a good idea...

Will perfectly treated VHS tapes and a player so lovingly handled that it was tuned and tweaked every few years work fine? Sure but I can get the same playback from an old DVD player and old DVD as the day I bought both new. And I don't have to clean DVD lenses at all really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5