• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How to keep a mummy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Everybody would get over their lizard phobia in an instant in the face of that much cuteness! But is Isao the same dragon little Tazuki encountered (probably not, since the dragon showed no sign of recognition)?!

Well, now i'm really curious how the show is going to introduce our final main character and his cute creature. We've briefly met him before, but none of the others seem to have any kind of connection to him. How do the cute creatues choose their "owners" anyhow?!
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
How do the cute creatures choose their "owners" anyhow?!

It's like with cats. You don't choose the cat. The cat chooses you.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Did anyone else find it disturbing that Kaede uses a mandrake as an alarm clock? Clearly mandrakes don't like to be pulled out of the soil by the hair leaves, and their shriek suggests it might even be painful. It must be pretty horrifying for Sora and Mii too, being jarred awake (or from whatever they're doing when her "alarm" goes off) out of the blue by a screeching mandrake. He should just get her to tell him when she needs to get up and he can go in and pour a cup of cold water on her head. Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, that looked a bit too much like mandrake abuse for my taste, maybe not sleeping in a coffin might make waking up easier already?! Also, isn't she not just putting herself but everybody else within hearing distance in danger with that kind of alarm? But well, Sora doesn't seem to mind for some reason and he's usually the hyper-responsible type, so perhaps there's something we're missing...

That aside, the interaction between Mii-kun, Conny and Isao is getting more adorable every week (how is that even possible?). I can't wait for the final memeber of our little family to arrive!
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
The mandrake didn't try to head back to the soil after it was pulled up so I highly doubt it was in pain. The shriek looks more like a defense mechanism. If the shriek spreads tot he neighbour Sora and Kaede would already be getting an earful from them. Having a sound that travels far also mean it's more likely to attract oblivious people and that's not good with the secrecy the creatures want to build. For that reason the hearable range of the shriek is probably quite short, but within that small area the intensity is high. Sora probably didn't know this or exaggerated the damage it could do. Obviously it will still be dangerous for people who encounter it.

If not hen mandrakes have been abused in every piece of fiction they appeared in, poor guys. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I didn't say being out of soil was painful, it's being pulled out of the soil that seems to distress it. If someone yanked you out of bed by your hair, you'd scream too, but when they let go you wouldn't climb right back into bed.

Well, yeah, maybe mandrakes are always being abused! (I felt bad for them in Flying Witch too) We've never gotten the story from the mandrake's point of view, now have we. Maybe Mummy will change that...
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Daichi just says "later" before the credits roll

Nooooo, Lauren don't miss out on the after credit scene. If anything this episode has a surreal ending that makes Mukumuku even better.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mukumuku is a baku, a Japanese folklore beast that looks a lot creepier in Google Image Search than it does in this adorable show.

I'll say! Where is his trunk? oO That's the one feature that seems to be a constant over all the various renderings of baku, but Mukumuku's has been truncated! ::flees::

From the first time I saw him in the OP, I thought he looked like a Belted Galloway plushie with a starbelly (having the belt broken by a spot on the sides is not uncommon with Galloway/Angus and other crosses). So while I can't stop thinking of him as a bovine at this point, I am glad to finally learn what he actually is supposed to be.

Yes, I too am curious about the scar or birthmark on his neck. It's obviously connected to the nightmares, but how and when remain to be seen.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
Quote:
But without Mukumuku, Daichi would just be a mess. I suspect there's more to his story too—notice the conspicuous scar on his neck? Just like with the scar on Tazuki's arm, there's definitely a story behind it.

Being no stranger to bouts of insomnia myself, i felt so bad for Daichi! And his parents just kicked him out after the doctors weren't able to find a cure?! I wonder if the scar is somehow related to this... Sad

And yeah, don't miss the after-credit scene!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice use of Ganon's theme in the beginning of episode 7! Laughing

Anyway, yes this series is flipping adorable. I can't get over it. However, I, like some others here, am bothered by things like Kaede's glasses personality. It just seems completely thrown in for no reason whatsoever.

Also, the way these creatures were described to decide to come to people in a previous episode doesn't seem to make sense with how Isao came to Motegi. Of course, we don't know much about her yet, but I never really got the impression that she had been made known about the creatures beforehand like Tazuki had.

I haven't finished the new episode yet, curious if that's going to carry on with the new character, of if it will be explained with him.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that pudgy unicorn is actually supposed to be a kirin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
This episode killed me with the cute! First we got supernatural daycare (eat you heart out, School Babysitters!Very Happy) and then Mii-kun making friends with the child oni was the most adorable and heartwarming thing ever (well, at least until next week's epsiode).
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
I wasn't a fan of this episode tbh. The whole daycare thing felt very artificial, and the further the show goes into making the human-monster relationships feel parent-child rather than human-pet it gives me a weird unpleasant feeling that I can't quite describe.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
^ That's odd, because I'm feeling the opposite. It's nagged at me that they sort of treat these clearly intelligent beings (who can read and write!) as pets, so the more they treat them like children, the better I feel about it. Smile

I loved the episode, especially their misinterpretations of each other's charades. And the kirin's flashing its cosmic butt like a firefly.

I have to wonder how this oni-child, who looks identical to Conny (i.e., I assume they're the same age) is doing so spectacularly on his own in the forest (nice digs in that tree!). In contrast, why was Conny like a lost puppy who needed rescuing?

The only thing that truly bugged me was that it wasn't clear whether or not Motegi ever told the others what she'd overheard. Maybe those guys explain my previous question...
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode was a real snoozer for me. I'm here for cute Sanrio product placement, not angsty back stories that are handled poorly >Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4