• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese School Opts for Flexible Uniform Code to Support LGBT Students

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
oh boy, bet the mods have fun looking over this thread

as a cis girl I always hated skirts. I stopped wearing them early on in primary school.
I think this is a great move. It's not forcing anyone to wear anything. It even says in the article they don't expect amab people to wear skirts, but they have the option there if they choose to do it.

also lol at people acting like gays are the reason birth rates in japan are low or that gays will somehow impact it. that's a whole 'nother societal issue and has nothing to do with anyone's sexual orientation
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not going to actually quote any of the overreaction posts, because that's what they want. But I have to say... whenever I see comments like that, I have to wonder what it's like to get angry about this sort of thing. I mean, what's the thought process? How does the existence of LGBT people or, heaven forbid, unorthodox clothing choices offend so many people to such a degree? Since I can't comprehend why someone would react with aggression to something that benefits some people and has no real negative consequences for anyone else, I can't really argue with them except by offering some perspective.

Well, that and pointing out that kilts are a thing.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Well, that and pointing out that kilts are a thing.

I have one that i buy in Scotland when i was there last year. Is pretty comfortable but a little breezy.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
"Assigned male at birth".
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:

In all seriousness, can you explain to me why you take offense with that term? It means nothing else than someone looked at a newly born baby, saw a penis and went "whelp, that one's a boy". That's it. That's all it means. How is that wrong and or anoying?

Some people find that term useful.

When the term "heterosexual" was coined in 1868, did people take offense in it? I literally don't know, but now I wonder.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
BurgerKing-201 wrote:

In all seriousness, can you explain to me why you take offense with that term? It means nothing else than someone looked at a newly born baby, saw a penis and went "whelp, that one's a boy". That's it. That's all it means. How is that wrong and or anoying?

When the term "heterosexual" was coined in 1868, did people take offense in it? I literally don't know, but now I wonder.

I don't find it offensive, just hilarious. You aren't "assigned" male at birth, you're biologically male, it's not some arbitrary standard forced on a baby by the doctor. It's terminology used by those who deny the reality of biological sex.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
oh boy, bet the mods have fun looking over this thread

As much fun as getting a root canal from drunk denist school drop out.

A bunch of trollish posts, or responses to removed/edited posts, have been removed or edited. The bigoted and trollish comments can stop now. As well as the replies to them. Don't embolden such trolls, just report them please. Thank you.

Edit: The whole gender debate, and being assigned one at birth, starting up can also cease now as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
You know what I have a problem with? The idea that an assigned-male-at-birth person has to be a member of the "LGBT community" in order to be allowed to wear a skirt.

All people should be allowed skirts and dresses and long hair equally. It bothers me that even the people supposedly in support of the right of all people to have these things still other them by saying that "most" boys would find it irrelevant "unless you're one of us". All people should be expected to stop gender-conforming. "Allowing" some small percentage to get rid of gender does nothing. Everyone has to abolish it for it to mean anything.

If a girl who wears pants can be considered "normal", why can't a boy who wears skirts?

I personally barely own any pants, and wear skirts almost every day (I don't identify as any gender). The bias against skirts, dresses, long hair, etc. is a huge problem.

BurgerKing-201 wrote:
Coup d'État wrote:
BurgerKing-201 wrote:

I don't find it offensive, just hilarious. You aren't "assigned" male at birth, you're biologically male, it's not some arbitrary standard forced on a baby by the doctor. It's terminology used by those who deny the reality of biological sex.

I actually also think that the terminology isn't perfect, because it's actually quite limiting. For example, in a society without gender, how would you describe someone's physical sex? You can't say they're "male" or "female" because that would imply that they have a gender. But they weren't assigned a gender at birth, because their parents, doctors, etc. don't have any more concept of gender than they do. I'm afraid to refer to the characters in question as "physically-male" because I feel like I'm going to get attacked by a ton of people like "UM EXCUSE YOU, it's 'assigned at birth'"... but like... they weren't, in their world.

I just always feel like the supposedly-liberal views are just as short-sighted as the conservative ones. Everything is made for right-now, with no regard to where things will be several years from now.

In 20 years, no one is going to identify a gender at all, except for very old, curmudgeonly people, and extremely religious conservative countries, and all this terminology is going to be outdated and irrelevant.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Like many of the cis girls here, I too feel uncomfortable in short skirts and get anxiety just thinking about how young, socially awkward me would have felt if I had to wear one as a uniform. I've always thought it should be standard to let students mix and match as they please.
Lemonchest wrote:
Well that's nice. & although it'll probably only be girls who switch legwear, I imagine guys who want to wouldn't have much problem switching a tie for a bow. Then again, the next time there's a summer heatwave, I imagine guys might welcome the chance to wear a skirt.

Reminds me of the British school boys who wore skirts because of a heat wave last year. And they look pretty good in them if I say so myself. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Like many of the cis girls here, I too feel uncomfortable in short skirts and get anxiety just thinking about how young, socially awkward me would have felt if I had to wear one as a uniform. I've always thought it should be standard to let students mix and match as they please.
Lemonchest wrote:
Well that's nice. & although it'll probably only be girls who switch legwear, I imagine guys who want to wouldn't have much problem switching a tie for a bow. Then again, the next time there's a summer heatwave, I imagine guys might welcome the chance to wear a skirt.

Reminds me of the British school boys who wore skirts because of a heat wave last year. Smile

It would be nice if that became a spark to make people give up gender.

However, the remarks about "not even cis girls" liking skirts, and witnessing the fact that at least 80% of people in the West prefer short hair and sweatpants to nice things, show the reasons why I felt the need to move to Japan. In Japan, there are more people who just don't think on those lines. However uncomfortable it might be, looking nice is worthwhile. Even gender-conforming males spend more time on their hair than 80% of Westerners.

It's sad that there might be only one country in the world where it would go both ways, but Japan is probably that country. Hopefully, Japan will be able to influence the rest of the world in that respect.
micah007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Denying any sort of scientific information/knowledge seems to be much more common these days than you'd think. It's actually quite scary what people will deny to warp reality for themselves.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Re: #861208

It's true that the technicalities of biological sex are incredibly grey even regardless of gender presentation and I expect the language to continue to morph to represent that, so while "assigned male at birth" is not perfect, it was the best term of the many I considered to specifically describe a group of students who would feel societal pressure to not wear skirt when they want to based on cultural norms. There very likely could be a variety of reasons why a student would want to wear a skirt despite these norms: identifying as trans*female, simply enjoying women's clothing but identifying as male, or like you suggested, identifying as gender non-conforming. I had to figure out a way to designate the particular group of students who would fall into those categories but also be faced with social pressures not to wear a skirt, and those pressures would likely not exist for a student whose peers perceive them as female (even if they don't identify as such). For now AMAB seemed like the best choice for this particular situation that would encompass any of the examples I listed, but if there is a better term I'm open to hearing it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
A step in the right direction. It's still gonna be a while before "wear whatever your preference is" is the natural thing and it stops being a sex/gender-based choice and becomes simply a style/comfort preference. I'm a genetic male, I'm not transgender, but I'd go for the female uniform.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Re: #861208

It's true that the technicalities of biological sex are incredibly grey even regardless of gender presentation and I expect the language to continue to morph to represent that, so while "assigned male at birth" is not perfect, it was the best term of the many I considered to specifically describe a group of students who would feel societal pressure to not wear skirt when they want to based on cultural norms. There very likely could be a variety of reasons why a student would want to wear a skirt despite these norms: identifying as trans*female, simply enjoying women's clothing but identifying as male, or like you suggested, identifying as gender non-conforming. I had to figure out a way to designate the particular group of students who would fall into those categories but also be faced with social pressures not to wear a skirt, and those pressures would likely not exist for a student whose peers perceive them as female (even if they don't identify as such). For now AMAB seemed like the best choice for this particular situation that would encompass any of the examples I listed, but if there is a better term I'm open to hearing it.

"Students that have a penis" maybe.
It's literally impossible to speak about anything remotely related to this stuff without anyone getting offended.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Heck yeah. I'd love to wear skirts. But if skirts stop becoming associated with girls... Then there really wouldn't be a point to anymore, would there? (^.^')

But in all seriousness, in terms of comfort, people have a point, but I don't get how people let the clothes they wear define them. I get that the appearance is one of the ways in which we choose to express ourselves, but I think that people get way too caught up in it. Even though I was forced to wear uniforms through the entirety of my schooling life (much to my chagrin), I never let it define me as a person. I'm guess I'm also fortunate that the people around me judged me for my personality and character than my appearance. Even though uniforms are meant to promote conformity (be it in terms of school or gender identity), there is nothing that prevents you from being yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... you are you no matter what you wear. Focus more on the intangibles and we will truly have a better society.

Actually... another thought. Why not just do away with uniforms altogether? Let the kids wear whatever they want? Oh... right. No more sailor fuku... (TT.TT)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7