• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do Anime Sound Effects Come From?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
Wait. The NewType Flash is supposed to be a good sound effect? I ain´t convinced and i say that as a fan of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
one particular sound of a baby crying is used in EVERYTHING, Japanese AND American. There's also a squeaky hinge sound that I once fussed over in a student film years ago that I now can pick out of just about any production

I know the exact two sounds. I've also heard that child laugh from the old Saban sting other places. I once saw a bunch of BBC sound effect LPs in a random shop. I picked up the Hitchhiker's Guide LPs they also had, but I sometimes regret not getting the SFX as well.

0nsen wrote:
Yeah, it's weird to hear the same sound effects all over anime. But not as weird as hearing the metal on metal sound effect when a sword is only making contact with air. And this happens A LOT in anime.

That's not metal, that's light. Very.. metallic light. Hitting the blade like.
Guns are also surprisingly bashful. That's why they make a little noise whenever you look at them.

For some reason, when they put together the Kiddy Grade movies they completely redid the effects. I can understand not being able to just cut down the M&E track to fit, but it was completely redone with all new effects.

I loved the one extra for Karas, where they showed some foley work. Especially that the Karas armour noises are made from an old leather satchel wrapped around some scaffold clamps.

Relevant: everyone has to try the custard glove

My pet peeve however, is sound effects added to OPs. It is not so noticeable if there are there from the start but when they add then later... ugh. Why? D.N.Angel was the worst as I appreciated the way the visuals were cued to the timps and they steamrollered over that with new sounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Nobody's brought up that one explosion sound? You know, this one?

I've heard it in video games as well, but I know it's got origins in some anime, Yamato seems to have used it more than once.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
My pet peeve however, is sound effects added to OPs. It is not so noticeable if there are there from the start but when they add then later... ugh. Why? D.N.Angel was the worst as I appreciated the way the visuals were cued to the timps and they steamrollered over that with new sounds.

Reminds me of the complaints I'd sometimes hear that video game soundtracks don't have the in-game sound effects and voice clips sprinkled throughout.
PMDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Nobody's brought up that one explosion sound? You know, this one?

I've heard it in video games as well, but I know it's got origins in some anime, Yamato seems to have used it more than once.

That was an Ishida Sound effect as of the early 70s, but it probably goes back even earlier. Pretty sure I've heard it in 60's tokusatsu.

As for the clip you linked to, another effects company AnimeSound loved that particular effect and used it a LOT. Pretty sure they did the effects in that clip.
PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
Major props for recognizing Fizz Sound, which is probably the greatest sound effects company the world has ever known, in my not at all humble opinion.

But it's really people like Akihiko Matsuda who single-handedly did the effects for hundreds and hundreds of animes who we can credit with making them sound the way they did. Matsuda did Macross, Ideon, Gundam, Layzner, and so many others. The man made an audio universe of sorts, or an audio reality, for all these shows.

From show to show, there is a consistency almost like laws of physics where things sound the way they should. Doors and buttons have the same sounds. Mecha suits walk and fight and explode the same way. Matsuda made it all cohesive. And so much of it just sounds exactly the way it should.

If there is one great example of this, it's Ideon. The show starts out with some relatively older effects from the 70s but nothing remarkable. But the effects begin evolving during the show as the story demanded more and better effects over and over and pushed every limit there was. Matsuda rose to that challenge and pushed the effects firmly into the next decade. Without Ideon demanding more and more, we might not have had a Macross that sounded like Macross.

Other people from Fizz Sound did DBZ using the same effects libraries. So that's why DBZ sounds like a lot of other things.

One other comment is that some producers and companies have sound effects providers they prefer over others. Some of them don't like Fizz, for example, or won't pay for their work. For a long time, AIC used AnimeSound for all their productions. There wasn't even a choice. And then things happen like Orguss, where the show looks and feels right but the sound effects are awful and don't fit at all. Dancouga is another show wounded by the wrong choice in effects companies.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow. That was a fantastic answer. Sorry it took so long for me to see it, but thank you very much for answering my question in such depth! It’s something that’s been bothering me for a while, and sometimes it’s not just SFX but music I recognize, and it can be really distracting at times. Zeta Gundam and the anime adaptation of Touch, for example, share the same (or at least very similar) music, and the afformentioned newtype flash sfx is *everywhere.*

I recently grabbed a copy of Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 on Switch, for example, and it’s used—completely straight—in nearly every other scene.

Anyway: thanks again, Answerman!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
THIS EXPLAINS SO MUCH!!! Anime hyper

I''ve always loved the sound effects they use in Tenchi Muyo like when Ryouko teleports and stuff.....wonder where that came from hmmm? Confused

There's also a particular 'stringed instrument sound' that old horror anime use when you catch a glimpse of a threatening creature or being. It's so creepy and effective.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3