• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Emdykay wrote:
For once the guy is divorced and has a young kid

Wait, what? When were we told this?

Very first episode? The anime logically gets his relationshipstatus cleared up right away o.O
It´s the scene where his son is sitting in the staff room, Akira smashes a dish in disappointment that he is married, the next day she smashes a dish because she is excited when told he is divorced.

That my former comment is interpreted as satire is interesting, assuming it was the one mentioned, I was sure making fun of the "17 years and 364 days means no go, 1 day later everytjhing is fair game" attitude, but otherwise I meant it...
That's right. I haven't seen nor read anything about this, which is reason i asked that question if he is, or isn't married I'm only going by what's written in this article which was much too vague in that sort of detail. Physically a female is old enough to breed at menarche because primative humans didn't live past 40 and evolution hasn't caught up to modernity yet. Any good High School Biology lesson should had taught that. Rondo being devorced, or widowed is exceptable in society to begin a relationship with a new potential partner. Akira is 17. The law says she has to 18 to marry without consent of parents/guardian unless she gets that consent she can not legally do so until then. Don't like it? Tell it to the judge. If she wants to jump his bones before her 18th. then so be it! but he then becomes a sleezbag for not doing the adult duty by convincing her in waiting until she turns 18. They're going to be the one's to suffer the consequenses if openly discovered if that's any way the story is going to travel, but it is silly to argue over hypothetical's. Smile
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Physically a female is old enough to breed at menarche because primative humans didn't live past 40 and evolution hasn't caught up to modernity yet. Any good High School Biology lesson should had taught that. Rondo being devorced, or widowed is exceptable in society to begin a relationship with a new potential partner.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Human culture itself is an evolutionary adaptation. Since humans take so long to reach sexual maturity, making potential evolution on the genetic level slower relative to many creatures, culture is often believed to be a useful, fast-changing adaptation to get around that. (Not that it was intentional, nothing in evolution is, just that it was useful and gave an advantage since it allows humans to change behavior to adjust to a variety of situations, so it stayed around.) In that regard, most modern cultures discourage breeding at the first possible opportunity since it's damaging to both the mother and child, and otherwise doesn't really benefit anyone in the climate we're currently in.
xyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I like to see how this love story progresses. It's not your typical love story but it's not necessarily unrealistic. Mr. Kondo seems to have good feelings about Akira. Part of him seems to yearn to be with her and feels bad that he is no longer young and good enough for her. I have a feeling the kitchen guy will blackmail her again. It will be interesting to see how Akira will pursue Mr. Kondo.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Using you as subject for this question @CrowLia, it's not possible to reconcile with the fact that this is a "love story" about and between Akira and Kondo? And thus, of course that even when he could put an end to this he will not, because the story needs to continue? What's the point in insisting on denouncing him for this behavior then? He is a creation of his creator, that'll manipulate actions to move the story, this love story. Wanting this to end means wanting the series to end.
But I guess that's not the biggest problem for some people, the biggest problem is his portrait as "a nice guy". He can't be? He is. For me these accusations that he is a "predator" are absurd. He is a "nice guy", and he ending together with Akira doesn't automatic makes him a "predator". That thing about "power" and "position of authority over her" as his boss, it's actually the one thing he could take advantage to get rid of her, not to get inside her panties instead.

Again, I've already addressed your first paragraph in my response to Blood-. What I'm concerned about is how transparent the plot manipulation was to force that first date instead of showing Kondo doing the responsible thing and rejecting her, then developing feelings for her and start to wonder about the morality issues he'd be facing.

The problem with the Nice Guy is that this is a narrative used by a lot of predators and mysoginists "Oh, women are so awful, I'm such a Nice Guy to them but they never want to date me, look at how Nice I am." It's a shitty narrative and the guys using it are never in fact as nice as they see themselves. So Kondo seems like a fantasy for that audience except in this scenario, being so Nice Guy as opposed to the shitty Kase, is what makes Kondo desirable for Akira.

Panino Manino wrote:

Maybe the current climate are clouding people minds and forcing them to view this anime in the worst way possible when it's not that bad actually. An example of this is "his concerns" @CrowLia. Yes, he is concerned with the societal blackslash, yes he is, and it's natural for us viewers to understand this and question his character about this, but, believe me or not, in this story his biggest concern towards Akira is actually her depression for her lost passion. They both share this pain, to not be able to do what they loved and gave meaning to their lives. So instead of taking advantage of her depression to have sex with her Kondo is in reality, no interpretations here, concerned about her depression making her giving up on what she loves to do. Details and realities like this are what makes these accusations of him being a predator absurd.

His biggest concern towards Akira can't be her depression, injury and giving up track because she doesn't know about them at this point in the series. So far the only concerns he has shown about having a relationship with Akira, and what his mind immediately jumps to when the suggestion even comes up is that he would look bad. This actually breaks -I think unwittingly- the Nice Guy narrative, because he's clearly more concerned about his own feelings than Akira's, and the idea that "hey, dating a girl closer in age to my own son is irresponsible and even if I didn't mean to, I would be taking advantage of her" never ever crosses his mind. He literally only seems to care about whether his feelings will get hurt and how bad he looks. I'm not saying he shouldn't have those concerns, the problem is that those are his only concerns. It's not his sense of responsibility as an adult towards an undeveloped young girl who clearly needs guidance that makes him hesitate about dating, but purely his ego. That already makes me think that he's not in fact a good match for Akira because so far he has shown little to no concern for her feelings.

Terrible90sDub wrote:

Is it not possible that it's neither?

It certainly is, but the framing of the show -especially episodes 3 and 4-, and the fact that the show gives us so much of Kondo's thoughts versus none of Akira's is making me weary that it might be leaning for the male fantasy I mentioned. Which is not objectively bad as long as we're talking about the realm of fiction, but it might be something I'm not interested in watching.

@Blood- Yes, my phrasing was awkward but the meaning was still there without the addendum, forgive me for not having absolutely flawless phrasing in every single sentence of a long post written in my second language, you can pat yourself on the back for your superior English skills now
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Human culture itself is an evolutionary adaptation. Since humans take so long to reach sexual maturity, making potential evolution on the genetic level slower relative to many creatures, culture is often believed to be a useful, fast-changing adaptation to get around that. (Not that it was intentional, nothing in evolution is, just that it was useful and gave an advantage since it allows humans to change behavior to adjust to a variety of situations, so it stayed around.) In that regard, most modern cultures discourage breeding at the first possible opportunity since it's damaging to both the mother and child, and otherwise doesn't really benefit anyone in the climate we're currently in.
I think you did quite well. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
@Blood- Yes, my phrasing was awkward but the meaning was still there without the addendum, forgive me for not having absolutely flawless phrasing in every single sentence of a long post written in my second language, you can pat yourself on the back for your superior English skills now

Rolling Eyes There is nothing wrong with your English language skills. You are clearly an intelligent and articulate person. The error you made is one that anybody could have made. However, you rather obnoxiously accused me on "not reading" your original comment so I don't think I was out of line in pointing out that your awkward sentence structure lead me to understandably not pick up on your true meaning.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Some one stated earlier that he allegedly has a child? I just had a thought. Does that child still live with him or his/her mother? How old is this child? If he/she is also a teenager, where does that position Akira? The mind boggles. Laughing
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
That's right. I haven't seen nor read anything about this, which is reason i asked that question if he is, or isn't married I'm only going by what's written in this article which was much too vague in that sort of detail. Physically a female is old enough to breed at menarche because primative humans didn't live past 40 and evolution hasn't caught up to modernity yet. Any good High School Biology lesson should had taught that. Rondo being devorced, or widowed is exceptable in society to begin a relationship with a new potential partner. Akira is 17. The law says she has to 18 to marry without consent of parents/guardian unless she gets that consent she can not legally do so until then. Don't like it? Tell it to the judge. If she wants to jump his bones before her 18th. then so be it! but he then becomes a sleezbag for not doing the adult duty by convincing her in waiting until she turns 18. They're going to be the one's to suffer the consequenses if openly discovered if that's any way the story is going to travel, but it is silly to argue over hypothetical's. Smile

What has this to do with marriage? I dont get it. Ok, that was sarcastic, I am pretty sure I do unterstand what this is alluding to...
But in good faith back on topic:
My argument had nothing to do with marriage or their respective relationship, merely the idea that any sexual interaction before the abstract rule of a certain number of orbiting another celestial body is inherently immoral, while the same interaction afterwards is obviously fine.
As you already pointed out both interest and capability for sexual interaction start way before individuals reach age of majority for the overwhelming part of the population. So does the practice.
Ok, so teenagers do have sex and relationships, even before they turn 18. But we deem it unethical when they have them with people much older than them, why? Because the age difference practically always brings a lot of inequality in the partners experience and power. Which makes it easy to exploit those relationships or have them turn abusive and unhealty, even if the partners do not conciously realise. That is why we tell people it is smart to abstain from them in general, even if you technically could form one that is perfectly ethical. The chances of that happening is just ridiculously slim.

Those implications don´t go away because the sun rose another time. Meaning the relationship is equally unethical on her 18th birthday than it would be during her 17th year.
Conversly the relationship is perfectly fine if those imbalances are absent, as would be the case in the relationship or interaction of two teenagers of which one has reached legal age and the other has not.
There is a reason most western nations do not have staturoy rape as offence, but regulate sexual interactions of minors with multiple dynamic laws, like acceptable age ranges. And even if intercourse of a 17 and 18 year old could be persecuted in many US states, it is barely ever done to my knowledge... for good reason.

That is why I think statutory rape is a ridiculous concept, based on horridly outdated morality, not grasping reality as it plays out in todays society.

I also need an explanation why, following your argument, Kondo would be sleazebag for sleeping with Akira, rather than just someone protecting himself from prosecution? He does not seem to have done anything amoral in your version.

In addition to that, I will repeat my answer to you: maybe you should watch the show. Because the way things are playing out so far, it does not seem to be just harmless smut, depicting something that is common in society, which apparently is ground enough to make it acceptable in your interpretation, but actually has something to say about it.

Trivia:
Even primitive humans routinely lived past 60, it´s the high infant mortality that drops those statistics like mad.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Emdykay wrote:

My argument had nothing to do with marriage or their respective relationship, merely the idea that any sexual interaction before the abstract rule of a certain number of orbiting another celestial body is inherently immoral, while the same interaction afterwards is obviously fine.
It depends on the ingrained culture and religous dogma (or lack of it) inscribed in the laws of that culture in various nations that have set these borderlines either more or less, but mostly the standard law for that majority set the boundry at 18 years of age based on the orbit of this planet. that's just the way it has been and the way it still is.
Quote:
As you already pointed out both interest and capability for sexual interaction start way before individuals reach age of majority (maturity?) for the overwhelming part of the population. So does the practice.
Ok, so teenagers do have sex and relationships, even before they turn 18. But we deem it unethical when they have them with people much older than them, why? Because the age difference practically always brings a lot of inequality in the partners experience and power. Which makes it easy to exploit those relationships or have them turn abusive and unhealty, even if the partners do not conciously realise. That is why we tell people it is smart to abstain from them in general, even if you technically could form one that is perfectly ethical. The chances of that happening is just ridiculously slim.
Those implications don´t go away because the sun rose another time. Meaning the relationship is equally unethical on her 18th birthday than it would be during her 17th year.
That is true, however again it depends on the couple and what and how one treats the other in ways that are supportive, or abusive. No mentally healthy adult of whatever age is going to abuse a teenager unconsciously, or vice-versa. That also depends on that integrity to last too.
Quote:
Conversly the relationship is perfectly fine if those imbalances are absent, as would be the case in the relationship or interaction of two teenagers of which one has reached legal age and the other has not.
There is a reason most western nations do not have staturoy rape as offence, but regulate sexual interactions of minors with multiple dynamic laws, like acceptable age ranges. And even if intercourse of a 17 and 18 year old could be persecuted in many US states, it is barely ever done to my knowledge... for good reason.

That is why I think statutory rape is a ridiculous concept, based on horridly outdated morality, not grasping reality as it plays out in todays society.
You and alot of others might think that way but it's irrelevent if it is a statute in law where such cases (of an offense) is recognized by statute and legally punishable. One has to voice their objection to their respective legislative representitive to table a change in that law is all.

Quote:
I also need an explanation why, following your argument, Kondo would be sleazebag for sleeping with Akira, rather than just someone protecting himself from prosecution? He does not seem to have done anything amoral in your version.
Your statement is rather contradictory. For reasons I stated above, he'd be a sleezbag for shagging her at 17, because of his hypothetical impatience of not waiting for her to be legal. One is only done for being a paedophile if the law says he/she is. Also one is only a criminal if one is caught committing a crime. I don't understand how shaggin her at below that age is "protecting himself from prosecution".
Emdykay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One has to voice their objection to their respective legislative representitive to table a change in that law is all.

Which is basically what I am doing here, even if not to my legal representative, which I do not need to, as I am perfectly content with the laws regarding the issue over here, but merely to any fellow anime fan reading this, who in turn could be convinced and do what you just proposed because:
Quote:

that's just the way it has been and the way it still is.

is not something I am fine with Wink

Quote:
No mentally healthy adult of whatever age is going to abuse a teenager unconsciously, or vice-versa.

That is quite wrong and makes me wonder if you have been living under a rock, considering the massive topicalization of power abuse recently, with MeToo and much more and a lot of those dynamics are applicable in many a context.
Abuse is not limited to physical violence and there are also relationships that are very harmful to one or both partners without one comitting anything in the region of persecutable crime. Does not make them any better for the participants though.

And yes, I totally screwed up that last question by rephrasing it during writing and not proofreading what actually came out.
It was meant as: Why is he a morally faulty person, which I interpret sleazebag means, for sleeping with a teen, if said action is not morally wrong as no mentally healthy adult would abuse a teen, but simply doing something illegal? Wouldn´t he be only protecting himself from prosecution by not sleeping with her as the action itself is merely morally neutral?
That is more what I meant, but indeed my fault for the incorrect phrasing.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

Using you as subject for this question @CrowLia, it's not possible to reconcile with the fact that this is a "love story" about and between Akira and Kondo? And thus, of course that even when he could put an end to this he will not, because the story needs to continue? What's the point in insisting on denouncing him for this behavior then? He is a creation of his creator, that'll manipulate actions to move the story, this love story. Wanting this to end means wanting the series to end.
But I guess that's not the biggest problem for some people, the biggest problem is his portrait as "a nice guy". He can't be? He is. For me these accusations that he is a "predator" are absurd. He is a "nice guy", and he ending together with Akira doesn't automatic makes him a "predator". That thing about "power" and "position of authority over her" as his boss, it's actually the one thing he could take advantage to get rid of her, not to get inside her panties instead.

Again, I've already addressed your first paragraph in my response to Blood-. What I'm concerned about is how transparent the plot manipulation was to force that first date instead of showing Kondo doing the responsible thing and rejecting her, then developing feelings for her and start to wonder about the morality issues he'd be facing.

The problem with the Nice Guy is that this is a narrative used by a lot of predators and mysoginists "Oh, women are so awful, I'm such a Nice Guy to them but they never want to date me, look at how Nice I am." It's a shitty narrative and the guys using it are never in fact as nice as they see themselves. So Kondo seems like a fantasy for that audience except in this scenario, being so Nice Guy as opposed to the shitty Kase, is what makes Kondo desirable for Akira.
Panino Manino wrote:

Maybe the current climate are clouding people minds and forcing them to view this anime in the worst way possible when it's not that bad actually. An example of this is "his concerns" @CrowLia. Yes, he is concerned with the societal blackslash, yes he is, and it's natural for us viewers to understand this and question his character about this, but, believe me or not, in this story his biggest concern towards Akira is actually her depression for her lost passion. They both share this pain, to not be able to do what they loved and gave meaning to their lives. So instead of taking advantage of her depression to have sex with her Kondo is in reality, no interpretations here, concerned about her depression making her giving up on what she loves to do. Details and realities like this are what makes these accusations of him being a predator absurd.

His biggest concern towards Akira can't be her depression, injury and giving up track because she doesn't know about them at this point in the series. So far the only concerns he has shown about having a relationship with Akira, and what his mind immediately jumps to when the suggestion even comes up is that he would look bad. This actually breaks -I think unwittingly- the Nice Guy narrative, because he's clearly more concerned about his own feelings than Akira's, and the idea that "hey, dating a girl closer in age to my own son is irresponsible and even if I didn't mean to, I would be taking advantage of her" never ever crosses his mind. He literally only seems to care about whether his feelings will get hurt and how bad he looks. I'm not saying he shouldn't have those concerns, the problem is that those are his only concerns. It's not his sense of responsibility as an adult towards an undeveloped young girl who clearly needs guidance that makes him hesitate about dating, but purely his ego. That already makes me think that he's not in fact a good match for Akira because so far he has shown little to no concern for her feelings.

Assuming that he isn't a "nice guy", then he is necessarly a "bad guy"?
Like other said, maybe he isn't neither?
The alarms that you and other say that are ringing seems to force you guys to look for proofs of a crime to condemn the defendant.

This story is as much about Kondo as it is about Akira.
All of you would enjoy much more if tried to watch without looking for "proofs".
Example, when in episode 3 Kondo talks about a date and how boring it would be for Akira, he wasn't really baiting her to take advantage of a young girl like some seem to suggest. In the first place, he wasn't thinking about hooking up with a woman for a long time, and the thought of dating a young girl like Akira was inconceivable. But then there was Akira declaring her love for him... even with the inconceivable happening he thought that wouln'd matter, because any young girl like Akira would very fast find how disappointing and a waste of time spending time with him would be.
Even if the script is manipulative (and it'll always be in any story) isn't like all of Kondo's thoughts and words are malicious traps. Instead of reflecting about the whole of the story you guys and girls are just confirming bias. Even if Kondo starts to reciprocate doesn't mean that he was seducing and preying on her from the beginning. It's exactly because we see his side of the story and his personal struggles that he isn't a simple predator.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Two predators and a minor.

Gabriella Ekens wrote, among other things, in the Episode 4 review:
Quote:
[...] it's clear that we're supposed to compare Kase's behavior to Kondo's and end up sympathetic to the older man. For one thing, the overtly sexual way in which Kase looks at Akira makes it clear
... that Kondo's character is written to do that in different ways.

The cook is scripted to mentally undress the young woman. Depicting active involvement.

The young woman is undressed for the manager, on other occasions. Seemingly passive.

The young woman is scripted to inadvertently undress herself for the manager. By the rain and by the sun - by scriptwriters who make that undressing look accidental when the manager is involved. Sly enough to make that appear accidental and therefore seemingly innocent. Him in universe and us their target audience.

In the parallels of episode 4, the young woman repeats the actions of the predatory cook. She is scripted to make her again the one pursuing the manager. The manager scripted to look like someone who wouldn’t think of undressing his under-age part-timer. Unless he gets a seemingly accidental look through an opportunity she is scripted to provide him. Forces of nature at the control of the writer who scripts these scenarios.

Akira’s character design indicates there is a different kind of fan-service at work in this series. Designed to appeal to an audience with a different kind of fetish. Aimed at people who have certain ideas about purity. Kase’s sexualization of the minor is portrayed as overt. Kondo’s voyeurism is portrayed as accidental. His relationship with the teenager considered “pure” but he would “sleep with her“ if she coerced him into that too. Just not yet. After she is scripted to make him aware of such options. After it is made clear that their’s will be a committed relationship. Leaving him blameless in her "corruption" in the minds of those with such a fetish.

The teenager is portrayed as having his child without having to engage in sex with him. A virginal child bride who will raise his son without the necessity of sexual intercourse to conceive and give birth to his off-spring.

Ephebophilia doesn’t overtly manifest in the manager in the series because he is designed to represent those Ephebophiles in the audience who consider themselves blameless and pure. Accidentally at the mercy of young women. They’d never initiate contact but hope for the object of their desire to initiate contact in stead. For them. To be approached. Removes responsibility. The show also appeals to people with such fantasies who would not ever act out such a scenario in real life and as a fantasy this series works as long as you recognise that’s what you're watching. What you have been presented with.

We are made aware of Akira's background and we thus know that the manager is taking advantage of a vulnerable teen's situation but that is made to look accidental too. She is portrayed as the one withholding that information from him and thereby once more renders him seemingly blameless.

The cook serves multiple roles. The manager, the kinder kind of predator [the most common kind of predator], is juxtaposed with this aggressive judgmental cook. The cook whose aggressive pursuit combined with his moralising words enables the audience to dismiss both his actions and those cautionary words simultaneously. If the clearly objectionable and morally compromised character says it "we" may not have to take his words seriously.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
No mentally healthy adult of whatever age is going to abuse a teenager unconsciously, or vice-versa.

Emdykay wrote:
That is quite wrong and makes me wonder if you have been living under a rock, considering the massive topicalization of power abuse recently, with MeToo and much more and a lot of those dynamics are applicable in many a context.
Are you implying that the perpetrators of all that are mentally healthy? Really? Laughing
Quote:
Abuse is not limited to physical violence and there are also relationships that are very harmful to one or both partners without one comitting anything in the region of persecutable crime. Does not make them any better for the participants though.
That would be mental abuse you're describing there, and yes that can be just as damaging.Though mental abuse can be prosecuted in a Civil court here in the UK it's not a crime unless included in some form of harassment. However with all the trolling incidents on social media gaining attention in the press that could very well change soon.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:58 pm Reply with quote
When young women started campaigns to protect themselves and others from harassers on public transportation; when Japanese authorities responded by becoming a little more proactive in addressing groping on trains and buses - as a result of their limited success, there was a notable increase in customers at establishments catering to people with the proclivities and urges on which it became slightly more difficult and risky to act, on actual trains and buses.

Dedicated establishments cater by designing rooms to resemble moving subways. One of the observations made by a sex worker in such a club, when asked about her experiences by a reporter in the wake of a recent public crack down campaign, was that a lot of her customers don't want her to undress or show much skin when acting out the train scenarios. Neither, she said, do all those men who now pay her for the acts -instead of targeting school girls on buses and trains- want to undress themselves or wish to be undressed either. Just because no explicit nudity is involved or desired doesn't mean there is no sex involved.

Those who create a series like this are quite aware of that. Not sure if these writers and animators took formal cultural studies classes to figure that out but their fan service is targeted. Classrooms too are often found in such dedicated venues, With closets full of school uniforms to pick from. Not quite like the real thing but close enough for some. Customers coming in, dressed and with varying demeanours, giving the appearance they could be from all walks of life - and quite likely are - when entering these fantasy worlds.

Recently someone expressed relief that Akira's shirt didn't become transparent in the rain. Transparently not transparent because that would disturb the image and the audience aimed for. The expectation exists, however, that much the comment revealed, because wet shirts are a staple of different types of fan service. Different room in a similar looking building. Not all acquire their knowledge about the transparency of wet cloth in such settings and neither do all anticipate the effect with relish. Nor is the relief expressed necessarily an indication of that other fetish. The mental image is formed. One size does not fit all.

When having a conversation about these topics do we use the word "healthy" in the clinical sense? Are we employing a legal term when speaking of mental health or are we to assume the diagnoses to have been offered more colloquially, perhaps?

Quote:
... Maybe the current climate are clouding people minds ...
A comment like that seems to have it backwards, to me.

If even in the current climate these issues can't be raised because people find it "offensive", "bothersome" and/or "unnecessary" to be confronted by caveats when talking about a series like this then there is all the more reason to seriously question why attempts are made to steer a thread like this in different directions. The conflation of fantasies and realities is certainly not the sole purview of those posting critical remarks about a series like this one. Did anyone seriously expect they could watch this and read public forum comments or reviews without being confronted by remarks about these issues, even now?

What would Akutagawa have had to say about all this?
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 was my favorite so far. I loved the day dreaming sequences especially the kissing scene towards the end. I find Kondo's character compelling as he struggles to be a good manager and friend to Akira while dealing with his own emotional needs. It's rare to see a character who fears that which is nostalgic. This episode also showed us a different side of Akira. It was a general delight to see her giddy and upbeat.

I think one of the biggest strengths of "After the Rain" is the art design. The color saturation matches the mood of each scene. Every main character has distinguishing features on their facial structure or body structure, which makes them easy to tell apart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 31