• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranking the Best Anime from Studio Trigger

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Trigger's first TV series is still its best.

And Kill la Kill isn't very good. The animation is at times good and at times just a still image that is moved. I'm not a fan of its politics... in extreme times, let's hear it for fascism! No, never, no... or its plotting... it's almost as if they were making this up as they went along... or its characters...

The characters. Let's hear it for mother daughter bath time... and let us never speak of it again.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Huh I had no idea they made When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace. And I thought kill la kill was the only trigger show I liked. I guess Ninja Slayer was kinda fun too.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm not a fan of its politics... in extreme times, let's hear it for fascism! No, never, no...

How on earth did you come away from this show thinking it endorsed Fascism???

Quote:
or its plotting... it's almost as if they were making this up as they went along

To be fair, that's part of the appeal. It's an Imaishi stream of consciousness that could go literally anywhere at any moment. And yet, thanks to Nakashima, it consistently comes around to make strong thematic points.

Quote:
The characters. Let's hear it for mother daughter bath time... and let us never speak of it again.

I'm not sure how a single scene of "questionable mother-daughter bath time" equates to: "All the characters in this show suck" as you're implying.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
My favorite Trigger show? One word: Justeace!!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:54 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Hey people are always complaining about Anime not having realistic villains. And what's more realistic than a villian who is a sexual predictor. Just like at all of 2017s real life villains.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, I never even heard of Turning Girls, it sounds interesting I guess I'll put that on my "to watch" list, thanks. Also to be truthful I haven't actually watched all of their shows so I guess I'll give a top 3 instead:

1) Little Witch Academia
2) Space Patrol Luluco
3) Kill la Kill
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
My ranking goes:
1) Little Witch Academia (backed the Kickstarter, wish the TV series was on CR instead of netflix)
2) Inou Battles (Possibly would rank it #1 (unlikely, but possible) if it actually finished out the story OR if it featured the Class Rep Mirei more prominently (say what you will about the most famous scene or the series as a whole, ANY scene involving Mirei Kudo is GOLD))
3) Kill la Kill (actually much better than I expected from the promo stuff. It is deserving of a lot of the acclaim it gets, ranks this low for ME more as a testament to the two shows above it (for ME))
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I really hate all over-the-top stuff. Not funny, often "ugly" style but good animation. My favorite from them was probably Inou Battle, and then Little Witch (TV). Darling in the Franxx is off to a pretty enjoyable start tho

if there is one series that should get the toonami premiere broadcast, its this series. they already dropped the ball with kill la kill and guren lagann, but its not too late for this series.

Quote:
Unfortunately this one's nearly impossible to get in English ever since Animator Expo stopped streaming it on their official website.

WAIT!! WHAT????!

don't studio trigger have the licensing rights for that series. i highly doubt that animator expo have the license ala aniplex. also when did they produced an english dub version??? that is news to me.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
I'm the person that likes a show more (or less) depending on the people that worked on them. Having met several Trigger staffers, I've come to not like KLK simply because Sushio can be such an ass. The man says disrespectful things about people waiting in line during his autograph session. Pretty hard to respect someone when he's mocking the people standing next to you. Sure, everyone has bad days, but taking advantage of the language barrier to insult people is just really immature.

I've met Nishigori, Imaishi (a couple times), Koyama (ditto), Sushio (ditto again), Wakabayashi, Yoshinori and Hori. Of these, I like Koyama best. Just all around a nice guy and very creative. Even after meeting him several times, I still am excited if he's attending a convention that I'm attending. I also think his style a lot more refined than Sushio, who just has a much rougher style than many of his studio counterparts. I also liked Imaishi. I remember when Imaishi first came to AX to promote Gurren Lagann in 2009 and he acted as if he couldn't draw.

I think Trigger's style is very overrated compared to Madhouse. I guess you could say that I'm very much a Madhouse fangirl, but their movement is a lot more smooth and polished compared to that of Trigger. I guess that's what sells for them, so there's no reason for Trigger to change.

Maybe I missed it, but I was sad to see no mention of Koyama being Baymax's (Big Hero 6) creator. For an article that mentioned other 'aside' projects various animators had worked on, it might have been nice to mention that about Koyama.
icelava

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
The thing I appreciated very much about Kill la Kill is the very first person to get naked in the first episode is actually a boy. Despite all the (self-ware) extremity to fan service one might be typically used to, there is a fair share of naked males to balance out the playing field. Everybody is game.

And they even had the audacity to commit the "blasphemy" of reversing the holy law of Japanese art, rendering nipples for males instead of females. Hat's off.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm the person that likes a show more (or less) depending on the people that worked on them. Having met several Trigger staffers, I've come to not like KLK simply because Sushio can be such an ass. The man says disrespectful things about people waiting in line during his autograph session. Pretty hard to respect someone when he's mocking the people standing next to you. Sure, everyone has bad days, but taking advantage of the language barrier to insult people is just really immature.

You got some examples of this behavior? It's a little slanderous to say stuff like that about someone without proof of it. I've followed these Gainax guys for close to a decade now and, yeah, they are basically kids, and they say some non-politically correct stuff, but being rude to fans, unless as a joke, is not something I've ever witnessed nor heard about.

Quote:
Maybe I missed it, but I was sad to see no mention of Koyama being Baymax's (Big Hero 6) creator. For an article that mentioned other 'aside' projects various animators had worked on, it might have been nice to mention that about Koyama.

Because there is a finite length to everything. And he didn't mention the majority of the work that most of these people have done.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
You got some examples of this behavior? It's a little slanderous to say stuff like that about someone without proof of it. I've followed these Gainax guys for close to a decade now and, yeah, they are basically kids, and they say some non-politically correct stuff, but being rude to fans, unless as a joke, is not something I've ever witnessed nor heard about.

Do you want me to list all the conventions that I've attended where Sushio has been a guest and where, since I'm always standing in autograph lines, I've overheard him call attendees names? Sushio did this at AnimeNext. He called several attendees fat arses in Japanese while they were waiting in line. In Sushio's case, once KLK became popular, he became arrogant. Happens to a lot of animators in the business. For many of these people, it's only once they fall on hard times and their work isn't as in demand as it used to be, that they become tolerable again.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Do you want me to list all the conventions that I've attended where Sushio has been a guest and where, since I'm always standing in autograph lines, I've overheard him call attendees names? Sushio did this at AnimeNext. He called several attendees fat arses in Japanese while they were waiting in line. In Sushio's case, once KLK became popular, he became arrogant. Happens to a lot of animators in the business. For many of these people, it's only once they fall on hard times and their work isn't as in demand as it used to be, that they become tolerable again.

I mean, he was quite popular well before KLK, so I don't know why that would've been a huge boost to his ego...
Anyway, I guess I'll take this with a grain of salt, because I've never had a bad experience nor heard of any from anyone other than you. Not trying to call you a liar, but your word is the only proof available, and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. He seems like Tatsun, which means he is probably a little rough around the edges, crude, and immature, but not intentionally meanspirited or anything.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:58 am Reply with quote
Little Witch Academia and Kill La Kill are by far the most memorable titles by the studio. I liked LWA more because of its elegance and grace while Kill La Kill is as over the top as much as animation can be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I did a Trigger run last year that consisted of Ninja Slayer, Inferno Cop, LWA, Luluco, and Kiznaiver in release order (so I can get those references). Already watched KLK, Inou-battle, etc. years before that. I enjoyed all of them, but my favorite was Ninja Slayer. Also, it had the best waifu's. Inferno Cop comes in second followed by Kill la Kill.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2