• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Horror Anime Less Squeamish About Kids?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Cabin in the Woods certainly implies that there is a Western horror stereotype of Japanese horror movies being less squeamish about kids.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Anime defintly has a higher child kill rate than western media. Fate/zero has some pretty nasty scenes of elemetary school kids being tortured and murdered. Shin Sekai Yori has multiple child deaths both early on off screen and later on in the show when a Massacre occurs.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Grave of the Fireflies,
In This Corner of the World
Giovanni's Island
In these cases it's either like, they fall over sick and die or an explosion happens and they die. I feel like that doesn't really make a difference if it's a kid or another character you got attached to.
Now stuff like Corpse Party that actually has gore, yeah, the kid's part is harder to watch.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can only think of the ridiculous opening to the second episode of Genocyber,
And one of the most try hard, "please be sad and shocked", moments I've ever witnessed.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned Elfin Lied. There's for sure two scenes I remember that quite vividly depict death of children through murder, one being the classroom scene and the other on the train where it holds nothing back imagery-wise.
Furuzaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've watch a lot of anime
I've watched*

My grammar error is now for the whole world to see. It bugs me more than I expected.
I'm glad no one seems to care enough comment about it ~
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Women are also much more likely to be killed than in western media. In western media it is also considered much less acceptable to kill women than men in movies (on average you will see 200 men killed on screen for each women in a Hollywood movie). While in Madoka, for instance, all characters that die are women and very young ones (14-15 year olds). I never seem western media portray this level of violence torwards young teenager girls.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
I can only think of the ridiculous opening to the second episode of Genocyber,
And one of the most try hard, "please be sad and shocked", moments I've ever witnessed.

And awesome. Cool Love that scene, a modern classic in OVA history!

Here I found it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTBdVtZ0Jw

Awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Did they keep the child deaths in Devilman Crybaby? I know they changed at least one from the manga in the OAV from the early '90s.
Also, re: child deaths in western horror: if you can, seek out the '70s Spanish horror film "Who Can Kill A Child?", which actually derives its horror from that taboo. It's a very smart and emotionally truthful riff on all those "nature strikes back" movies from that era.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kids killed in George Romero movies:
Night of the Living Dead
The Crazies
Dawn of the Dead

He wasn't particularly squeamish. And in some cases, they were killed twice so...

And mentioning It, that brings up Stephen King and he wasn't that particular about not killing kids either. Pet Semetary should have been mentioned by now but there's also Salem's Lot and the Stand as well as others. spoiler[The Mist]

Most horror movies don't kill kids because they're not about kids or for kids. But when they're about parenting, oh boy...

Hey, remember the movie Horror Planet where the mother gave her son a loaded gun? No?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Anyone remember Berserk: The Golden Age Arc II and the scene where spoiler[Guts accidentally kills the knight's son] thinking it was a solder. That was a heavy scene and graphic. I think that is one instance the death of a child was show in full view in an anime.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Some of these seem to not be Horror Genre, though, when I think about children getting killed I tend to think

Invincible Superman Zambot 3

Aka:

Collateral Damage The Anime.

I like to describe this anime in this way. When the giant robot dodges an attack and it hits the city behind, you often think 'man, they never talk about that stuff!' But here that kid of damage is the driving B Plot throughout the entire series until we simply run out of living B character Refugees to worry about.

Frankly if you're watching older mecha anime you should be prepared. "oh all those little kids survived Gundam, Katz coming back in the sequel as a pilot surely has a bright future!"
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a horror series but Naruto has a few child deaths, mostly in flashbacks, which is surprising as it's a shounen series. I could name 2 or 3 characters child characters who die in the series.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Here's an old-school answer...ask Rangiku how she got that hellish scar on her back in Puppet Princess--and then ask her ninja retainer about the children who weren't so lucky...
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Inferno Cop. They even had the eponymous Inferno Cop arrested for infanticide and mutilation of corpse.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
More western examples: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, and The Blob (1988 remake).

I feel the same way about animals. It might be because one of my dogs was fatally hit by a truck, but I cannot handle pets dying, even in fiction. I was distraught for quite a while after watching Rear Window for the first time (one lady's sweet dog was found murdered).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5