• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So I guess no one in this thread has ever seen Godannar? This kind of stuff is pretty old hat for me~
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So I guess no one in this thread has ever seen Godannar? This kind of stuff is pretty old hat for me~

Lol I've heard of it....but I don't know much about it. Is it worth seeing?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The girls' position just made me laugh out loud. Particularly with the dude sitting right behind them. I get a feeling that Ichigo doesn't fancy Zero Two. Lots of jelly.

Both the opening and the ending are good, something that I always highly appreciate. The opening feels a bit darkish and sad. I was expecting something energetic like Gurrenn Lagann's opening, but I like the darkish feel it has. The ending theme is pleasant to listen to.

DuskyPredator wrote:
One thing was for sure was that, that was pretty much a statement of Hiro pretty much saying he is uninterested in Ichigo, her being turned down from not being able to keep it up and her having to finish by herself.

This description somehow gives me a very different impression of the scene. Maybe I just have a dirty mind. Or maybe it was intentional. Or maybe it was in the show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Sometimes what came from the past can stay in the past. And if I remember right, Godannar was as much ecchi comedy as super-shouty old-school super robot pastiche.

It may be another country and another cuklture but yeah, no matter the explanation, this is just sexist, in step with episode one's Dirty old man (inventor of the Franxx) feeling up the ass of the commander.

I've always been forgiving of the backwards morality of some anime, but having a girl bend over with her ass in the air so the seated boy behind her can literally "Ride her" may just go beyond my limits. Its not exciting, it's not titillating, it's just straight up degrading.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I know Japan is sexually oppressed in general but I don't understand why this show is just dripping in sexual innuendo. Seeing that it derives a lot of influences from Evangelion, I just don't understand the creative thought process. What are they trying to say or do with this show?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
One thing was for sure was that, that was pretty much a statement of Hiro pretty much saying he is uninterested in Ichigo, her being turned down from not being able to keep it up and her having to finish by herself.

This description somehow gives me a very different impression of the scene. Maybe I just have a dirty mind. Or maybe it was intentional. Or maybe it was in the show.

I gave that sort of dirty description, because I think that it is actually the sort of subtext that is purposely being placed in the show. They compared him driving that smaller mech by himself to masturbation.

Actually. I am going to put an early bird idea of what this series might do with its themes. The first is of society being oppressive of forcing specific ideas of sexuality and sex roles, this specific in males given an especially dominating position, if you found it kind of uncomfortable for kind of being that way, I think it was on purpose as look at the heads of society which are I think men given an especially kind of oppressive look to them. They are being trained by a female trainer, but they all seem to have it drilled into them this idea of a "papa" that they have to worship. I think that it is all along the lines that you see this idea of particle societies, where children are told to be wholesome pairings where they follow what is normal and make normal babies to further society. And it ignores those that are not fitting in with what is supposedly normal and shuns them.

Another theory is, I think maybe there is a possibility the theme will fold back in on itself, about how culture can abuse the sexuality of the young to their own benefit. Perhaps we could see a theme about things like mecha anime using the sexuality, and it is kind of wrong, but that would have to be especially aware. But I kind of feel like bringing it up after Kill la Kill as it had some rather interesting themes, where people claimed that it was just taking advantage of the skimpy outfit of the heroine, Ryuko, to get views and would disempowering the Ryuko. But a theme the show ran with was actually backwards to that, Ryuko was actually physically weakened when she felt embarrassed and a target of the gazes of others, and her strength came from an epiphany of not caring what others thought, that she needed to be comfortable in her own skin, and that she would not weaken herself to be anyone's plaything. The real strength in the show did not come from nudity, but the force of mind to stand beyond that, and be strong beyond what they look like. Which I want to reiterate was the opposite of people thinking it was the heroine being disempowered throughs sexuality, but the strength to stay strong in spite of it, and although can't be said yet, there is a possibility this show might pull something similar.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Lol I've heard of it....but I don't know much about it. Is it worth seeing?

This was back when companies actually put effort into their trailers, so this will give you a good run down.

The show's fine, but of that era of ADV mecha shows Gravion and DaiGuard are much better. I also wouldn't really recommend the dub since EVERYONE YELLS ALL THE TIME. During robot battles is one thing but even at the dinner table they yell everything at each other and it gets kind of grating.

But hey, there's a pair of lesbian pilots so that'll make some of you happy. Another interesting fact is that the 2nd season was partially funded by the sale of an official adult doujinshi.

As for FranXX I'm honestly not bothered by it. But perhaps they're getting at something here. 02 is the most effective pilot with the best robot and the suggestion is that she does most of the work. Hiro can't even remember what he did so it's possible he didn't really do anything. So normal male controlling female set up loses out to a female controlled one.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
I gotta say i really like the doggy style cockpit setup and the pilot ass handles. While sex is the ultimate form of human emotional connection, the physical acts and urges it's based on are pretty messy and inelegant. And this is deliberately drawing attention to that fact by choosing not to make pretty or euphemistic metaphors for what is happening but go right for the 'dirtier' side of things. While humans are the self-aware and enlightened species, the evolutionary and baggage is a part of us too.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Part me keeps thinking this stupid sexual humor is because their trying to draw a large audience. I don't think I'm wrong, but what waste animation. There betters ways to lure people in without going for the gutter humor.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Its not exciting, it's not titillating, it's just straight up degrading.

It is exciting
It is titillating (moreso than watching a woman wear a loose robe)
It is not degrading (real heterosexual couples actually enjoy doing sex doggy style).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am Reply with quote
It also should be noted that it's not like the men have complete dominance over the women. As we saw in the episode, if the guy does something the girl doesn't like she can put an immediate stop to it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Its not exciting, it's not titillating, it's just straight up degrading.

It is exciting
It is titillating (moreso than watching a woman wear a loose robe)
It is not degrading (real heterosexual couples actually enjoy doing sex doggy style).

Yes, it's called consensual sex.
No one likes being made into an object.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
No one likes being made into an object.

Lot of masochists out there that'd disagree with you.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
And I knew that would be the follow-up.

No, they key to a healthy S&M relationship is still letting the submissive keep their semblance of control.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Letting the submissive have any sort of control kinda defeats the purpose, though~

But even so, that sort of thing is usually kept to the very specific context of the bedroom. Same goes for here, where "girls are objects to be controlled" is only in the context of robot piloting. It's no different from me giving orders to my female co-workers: I only control them in the context of our job. Outside of that they're my friends.

Putting aside the adults who treat both the girls and the boys as tools, none of the boys treat their partners badly outside of piloting (maybe Zorome but he's just a dick in general). Goro's probably the standout here. He's openly supportive of Ichigo pursuing Hiro whereas he could easily have been the jealous possessive type who treats her like property.

Hell, the only person actively treating another as a belonging is Zero Two.

So looking at the piloting system and claiming the show is championing the objectification of women is a bit extreme.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10