• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time Launches in West on February 20

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I personally wish more games were sub only. Cringy American dub forces me to mute the voices in Persona games for PS2 and PS Vita.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I personally wish more games were sub only. Cringy American dub forces me to mute the voices in Persona games for PS2 and PS Vita.

I personally find the U.S dub for the Little Witch Academia pilot and Enchanted Parade and to be excellent quality, and was thinking if this game did get dub they would use the voice actors from the anime. However I imagine Bandai Namco would have to talk with Netflix about that before trying. Something in which I do not see happening.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well to your belief not to half the fanbase unfortunately.

Do you think so? The DS game had that "pulled off the street" feel to their singing and acting. The people cast for Fever actually uses singing techniques professionals use (even if they themselves are not professional).

I mean, the English singing in "Love Ooh Ooh Paradise" and the singing in "Tonight" are like night and day! The only really good singing in the DS version is "Young Love Rock and Roll" (and to a lesser extent, the one in the DS Karate Man stage, whatever it was called).

Ryo Hazuki wrote:

How about providing the option so that we, who like the dub voices can have our fun too? (I also find the Persona games to have some very good dubbing. The actors sound natural and comfortable in their roles. You want to hear bad dubbing, you play Chaos War or Sonic Adventure.)
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Aquasakura wrote:
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

I personally find the U.S dub for the Little Witch Academia pilot and Enchanted Parade and to be excellent quality, and was thinking if this game did get dub they would use the voice actors from the anime. However I imagine Bandai Namco would have to talk with Netflix about that before trying. Something in which I do not see happening.

Netflix has no control over the Dubs only the Anime being a Netflix Exclusive until someone decides to put it on Blu-ray and DVD. Obtaining the English Actors is easy as long as you're willing to cast them and shell out the money for it. Videogames are a completely seperate license. But Namco and Koei Tecmo seem to want to just keep it Subbed only for Anime-based games that don't have Dragonball or Naruto in the title. One Piece hasn't been Dubbed in the games since Unlimited Adventure for the Wii which was also the only One Piece game to use the Funimation Dub cast instead of the 4Kids Dub.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Do you think so?

Oh no no personally I actually like the English dub hell I have a few of the songs on my iPod though Lord knows how long it took to find an English version of one of Fever's remixes which I had to settle on by getting the Japanese version.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:

I find this to be an interesting take not only because they recasted some of the cast like with Chie whose original voice actor was not very good in the PS2 original in Golden but along with the fact that some characters *cough* Teddie *cough* do not sound very good in the Japanese version.

If you think either of Persona 4's dubs are cringey I'd really like to see what you consider to be equally cringey or worse/better.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:

Netflix has no control over the Dubs only the Anime being a Netflix Exclusive until someone decides to put it on Blu-ray and DVD. Obtaining the English Actors is easy as long as you're willing to cast them and shell out the money for it. Videogames are a completely seperate license. But Namco and Koei Tecmo seem to want to just keep it Subbed only for Anime-based games that don't have Dragonball or Naruto in the title. One Piece hasn't been Dubbed in the games since Unlimited Adventure for the Wii which was also the only One Piece game to use the Funimation Dub cast instead of the 4Kids Dub.

I see. Interesting! I never knew that about Netflix. I also never knew that the recent One Piece game(s) have not been dubbed. I always assume they were sure enough with those games to have them be dubbed, but it seems that is not the case.Thank you for sharing this Moon Phase.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

I find this to be an interesting take not only because they recasted some of the cast like with Chie whose original voice actor was not very good in the PS2 original in Golden but along with the fact that some characters *cough* Teddie *cough* do not sound very good in the Japanese version.

Maybe I should clarify by saying that English isn't my first language and I don't watch any movies or anime with English dubs either. Unfortunately most of the western countries have to conform to the American localisation practices, since the gaming market is only slowly maturing to provide more language options.

None of the non-English language movies I own on DVD have the English dub as the only option (I find it baffling that Hirokazu Kore-eda's Hana has a dub in the first place, since its typical target in the US is probably likely to be used to subtitles) but many games released this decade still do that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Oh no no personally I actually like the English dub hell I have a few of the songs on my iPod though Lord knows how long it took to find an English version of one of Fever's remixes which I had to settle on by getting the Japanese version.

Ah, okay. I have my own sources, as I've been collecting video game music for decades. And that is as far as I will say about that.

Aquasakura wrote:
I see. Interesting! I never knew that about Netflix. I also never knew that the recent One Piece game(s) have not been dubbed. I always assume they were sure enough with those games to have them be dubbed, but it seems that is not the case.Thank you for sharing this Moon Phase.

One Piece never came NEAR the level of popularity in North America as Dragon Ball Z or Naruto, so it'd be a pretty risky business decision to give a One Piece game a dub.

An odd thought: When 4Kids was still doing the dub, it was far more likely for a One Piece game to get a dub than when FUNimation took over. Not sure if that was a sign of the amount of faith 4Kids Entertainment had in the franchise succeeding in the west or that it was due to the company wanting to market the franchise to kids and thus would require a dub.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:

None of the non-English language movies I own on DVD have the English dub as the only option (I find it baffling that Hirokazu Kore-eda's Hana has a dub in the first place, since its typical target in the US is probably likely to be used to subtitles) but many games released this decade still do that.

Sometimes there's a method to the madness though, as it is it's far more problematic when you have a game whose dub is left exclusively in Japanese and even worse is when you have stuff that's not translated into English at all.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

One Piece never came NEAR the level of popularity in North America as Dragon Ball Z or Naruto, so it'd be a pretty risky business decision to give a One Piece game a dub.

An odd thought: When 4Kids was still doing the dub, it was far more likely for a One Piece game to get a dub than when FUNimation took over. Not sure if that was a sign of the amount of faith 4Kids Entertainment had in the franchise succeeding in the west or that it was due to the company wanting to market the franchise to kids and thus would require a dub.

My guess would be the latter since that was their aim from the get go was to target children. Speaking of which if there is one credit I would give 4kids is that they did at least care about the shows enough to do a good job advertising them. It's something I have come to realize recently when thinking about how they handle the Pokémon anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2