• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces the Nominees for Its 2nd Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Overall, I prefer critics choosing the nominees than the general population as it lends the vote a critical imprimatur so it doesn't seems as much of a pure popularity contest.
From what I have seen the main purpose that critics serve in modern society is to apply a litmus test to works to ensure that those works are politically correct. At this point in time all other factors seem secondary to that. Even the best works will be nitpicked to death if they fail that litmus test.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Letting people vote on the winner makes the result more democratic and less like critics sending down the word on what is the best anime from on high. I think the method they have chosen strikes the best balance between critic and popular opinion.
I am not sure if it can really be called democratic if you take a group of 100 politicians, select the top 6 politicians that agree with you, and than only let people vote for one of those 6 politicians.

Stuart Smith wrote:
For example, the manga category feels like it was made by someone completely out of touch with what manga fans are currently reading, and trying to nudge the voting in a very specific direction. The only remotely popular title on that list is Dungeon Meshi, but for that to be present over the dozens of more relevent, beloved, and popular titles definately raises eyebrows, to say nothing of the other nominees.
I won't criticize the nominees in the manga category but that is mainly because I haven't read any of them.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Popularity was clearly not a measure here or else shows like AoT, Boruto, Black Clover and Food Wars would be nearly everywhere since they are shows that constantly reached the top of CR's popularity chart. It's all about what they think was the best in term of quality. Like they thought MHA, MiA and crew were the best anime that aired this year. Quality wise.

I guess so... It just seems kind of mixed to me. I don't know. I feel like it's inconsistent and confusing to me, but maybe that's only me? Maybe everyone else Gets It and I'm just struggling.

But hey,
Zac, you were one of the judges. Are you able to tell us what you personally were judging the titles by? How successful/popular a title is, or how, like, well created/written/etc it is?
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Wow. The lack of Kemono Friends breaks my heart. Not even in Best Opening or CGI. I will debate you on the CGI.

Because it was made by just three people?

Personally, I wouldn't lump it in with the other, more well-produced shows, but I think it deserves its own "special achievement" award-ish thing.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
The problem I see with the nominees, as with other awards, is that the majority of them are only five shows. Check how many times LL, MHA, LWA, AMB and March appear regardless of category compared to the others. While it is understandable that the best shows will be among the top 6 in many categories, each of these occupy half of all entries in any category except "film", "manga" and "CGI", (which they aren't).

Also pay attention to list order. It is a subtle trick to list the shows first that the judges want to win in each category as they know most people will tend to vote that way. This is especially problematic when the browser only shows the first two nominees of any category, you have to scroll to see the rest. Many won't scroll unless they know beforehand that each category has 6 entries, which isn't disclosed anywhere I can find. Why not list all on the visible page?

I don't have a problem with the nominees per se as they are all top shows, but I find non-alphabetic listing and page setup suspicious.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
@Chrono1000 Again with going on about political correctness. What are you basing that on? The shows that have been chosen by anime critics, for these awards and on this site, largely line up with user opinion, both on this site an others, and all the choices for best are well rated and well regarded by fans. They aren’t necessarily the most viewed shows of the year, but like with the examples I provided in Black Clover and Boruto, most watched doesn’t necessarily equal the best, even among those who have watched it. Both fans and viewers seem to think the shows that were picked for the best category are quality shows, so I don’t see how you can accuse them of just picking shows for being politically correct and totally ignoring any other factor.

I would like you to consider the possibility that perhaps the critics (and other viewers!) have a different opinion than you on various shows, not because they are being “politically correct”, but because you and them just have different tastes and rate those shows accordingly. I honestly don’t think continuing this argument will be very productive, so I’ll leave it at that.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
This is especially problematic when the browser only shows the first two nominees of any category, you have to scroll to see the rest. Many won't scroll unless they know beforehand that each category has 6 entries, which isn't disclosed anywhere I can find.

Just who are these people who, rather than thinking "maybe I have to scroll down", think "oh, I guess there are just two options for everything", and are they the reason that microwaves now come with warning labels that tell you not to use them to dry your pets?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
I disagree of their category of "Favorite Villain". Here's why:

Stain might've fought and killed heroes, but his conviction was that of the purity of heroes, not one of destruction and greed. Therefore he was an Anti-Villain, not a Villain.

Tanya, is pure evil and wanting to destroy everything in her path, even god. But she displays the qualities of an Anti-Hero. She fights for her country, even if it's personally motivated, and manages to care for her subordinates (as long as they are loyal to her). And her opponents are just as evil and not good, so therefore she can't be a villain.

If anyone disagrees with me, I'm just voicing an opinion.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Because popular can equal good, but in a different way. Like, if a show is popular, that means a lot of people like it and think it's "good". Shouldn't that mean it should be up for nomination? If this was a few years ago, would Naruto have been nominated?
Like, people like Dragon Ball Super. Should it have been nominated? It's not on the level of other stories in terms of writing, animation etc, but people enjoy it and it's a good anime because of that. Last year, was YOI in because it was popular or because it was deemed a good show all around? Should AOT have been nominated for best anime etc? It's a mixture of super popular plus good animation etc like YOI was, but was it not artsy enough?
Like how at American awards, sometimes the artsy film that may be better gets passed for the blockbuster film that made more money.

It's like, not exactly popularity, but sort of is? I guess like, do they pick mainstream, successful shows that have a big fanbase, or smaller, artsier shows that have a little fanbase but is a better work. It sort of seems unclear to me which way the judges were going. Like, it seems to be towards the artsy stuff but sometimes it veers towards the mainstreamier stuff.

ugh, not sure if I'm making sense

They aren't using popularity as a quality measure. They are picking what they think is most deserving based on perceived critical value. That is the entire point of the nominations aspect of this Award. Then it enters the public voting period, where popularity plays the most important role. The "experts" job was to pick the most deserving shows/characters/etc for each category to help guide the popular vote to the reasonable choices.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Hmm I've only seen two of the shows in the best anime list and was not a fan of either. Plus the fact that KADO - The Right Answer is a nominee for any category... clearly this is not an award show for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
Looking through all of the nominations again, I guess my biggest problem would be the number of spots that MHA has. 10 spots across 7 categories is not quite as bad as YOI had last year, but that's still a few too many as far as I'm concerned(I think there should be a 5 nomination cap for each series given this number of categories). I think we'll see MHA win all 7 of those spots given the nature of these awards.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Looking through all of the nominations again, I guess my biggest problem would be the number of spots that MHA has.

The only award I thought it was weird to see it popup was the Best Opening one. I feel like every other it's running for is well earned.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
Booo ...still no nomination for Genocidal Organ as best film... jeez is baffling/frustating/depressing how underrated (and underwatched) that masterpiece of a film is Crying or Very sad
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote
MHA will be this year's YOI but at least this time there won't be 4 series monopolizing most spots right off the bat. A few are more almost up there but they get diluted more since there are more categories and 6 spots per category rather than 4.

(anyway, how did Maidragon make it for best ED but not best OP?)

harminia wrote:
I guess so... It just seems kind of mixed to me. I don't know. I feel like it's inconsistent and confusing to me, but maybe that's only me? Maybe everyone else Gets It and I'm just struggling.

Simple: judges don't have to come to a resolution based on a single strict criteria. Many factors may be considered and candidates may be weighed around all them.

It's obvious that popularity matters because otherwise My Hero Academia wouldn't be getting into almost every category (even double-dipping!), but that quality matters is obvious in many of the nominees. It would be drab and pointless if only popularity mattered, but it would also be a wasted effort if most voters didn't know most of the nominees.

zrnzle500 wrote:
@Chrono1000 Again with going on about political correctness. What are you basing that on?

Some people are easily triggered by anything that might be slightly progressive, so the manga category having "lesbian" in one title and "brother's husband" in another probably set a few red flags. And the "hero" category, term than in the past was almost male-exclusive, being dominated by females just set some more.
That's my best theory.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Just who are these people who, rather than thinking "maybe I have to scroll down", think "oh, I guess there are just two options for everything", and are they the reason that microwaves now come with warning labels that tell you not to use them to dry your pets?

Oh no...
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Looking through all of the nominations again, I guess my biggest problem would be the number of spots that MHA has. 10 spots across 7 categories is not quite as bad as YOI had last year, but that's still a few too many as far as I'm concerned(I think there should be a 5 nomination cap for each series given this number of categories). I think we'll see MHA win all 7 of those spots given the nature of these awards.

I mean all those nominations are well earned so i don't see any problems.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

While I agree that MHA has too many nominations, most of them are well earned. I will have not many problems if it wins anime of the year, best action show and best animation. My problem will be with the best boy and girl categories. MHA has good character writing, but if these awards are supposed to be serious, the characters from Showa Genroku and Scum's Wish should have been included in the best boy and girl nominations.

Like I already said, the nominations are appropriate across the board, but in some of the nominations the judges were seduced by the (still of good quality but) more popular stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8