• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Violet Evergarden Begins on Netflix in Some Territories, Not U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Years of pent up frustration. It is so rarely we get anything before the US and the first time ever for a simulcast I’m pretty sure.

And a lot of people have sympathized with that availability issue. I don't think that makes it okay to mock other people though.

Yttrbio wrote:
It's just weird that the frustration is directed towards US fans instead of companies. I mean, was it a common thing when you complained "but we want it here" that US fans would be like "haha, sucks to be you lol but I enjoy how unsatisfied you feel!!"? It might have been, I don't know. I tried not to take that point of view, but maybe other people did? Because that's the only reason I can think of for folks ragging on US fans.

Yeah, this is what I don't get. Have US fans regularly mocked other regions when they didn't get stuff? I haven't. And I haven't seen it happen, personally. Maybe it has, in which case, I apologize to everyone who was on the receiving end of that kind of childish behavior, but I haven't seen it at all. And I don't think an-eye-for-an-eye is a good way to live your life anyway.
I was really surprised to come here and see a bunch of 5 year old's thumbing their noses at US fans for some reason. What the heck did we do to you?? Confused

UnifiedDivyde wrote:
Whew, the salt is real, huh?

It's almost like most people don't understand how licensing and such works.

It's because people understand how licensing works that this is so confusing, and causing such a backlash. It's unusual and pretty nonsensical.

#878897 wrote:
Hey, I’m from Spain, and they have the Spanish dub ready too but I’m not crying like a baby because they are not simulcasting the show in Spain.

No, instead of crying like a baby, you're mocking people like a baby. GG

Glitterfiend wrote:
I live in Poland and I know how you guys feel, so I'd like to say that I sympathize with you and I'm sorry for other people who try to mock you. I hope that you'll ve able to see Violet Evergarden soon.

Thank you for your sympathy. You're a good person. Smile
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
Okay I'm just gonna come out and say it to the USA viewers...

SUCKS!!!! DOESN'T IT!!!!!

As a South African anime watcher it is annoying as hell knowing that the dubs are limited here. Most of the streaming sites are available here (Crunchyroll and HIDIVE for example) mind you, but FUNimation is blocked. If I just want to explore the website I have to enable a VPN. I got excited when I heard that FUNimation was expanding their streaming services to different countries and I was praying that it might end up here eventually. But noooo!
They only expand it to the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Which is fine considering that getting streaming rights for different countries can be pricey and they have to gamble on those countries first and see if they can profit out of it. But I guess they're aiming at those countries to kill off the middleman (Manga UK, Madman etc.) pretty slowly (the last time MangaUK released a One Piece title was last year with Collection 15... while the same set got released a year earlier in the USA... knowing that the batch of Episodes got released at the end of 2014 in their voyage sets).
I checked the payment methods and FUNimation doesn't ask for residence anymore, so you can pay either through your card directly or through PayPal.

But I'm digressing. These comments that I'm reading sounds like salty spoiled brats who didn't get what they want. There's no shame into doing that however. You guys pay for your Netflix subscription and it sucks that THIS PARTICULAR SHOW isn't available to you yet. Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood) only just got available on Netflix (I know FUNi doesn't own it anymore). I also pay for my Netflix and I was pretty surprised that Violet Evergarden wasn't available in the US yet. I watched the first episode yesterday and it does look like it will be a tearjerker when it's at it's conclusion.

So moral of the story, if something isn't available (yet), consider the reasons.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
coolkidpiccolo wrote:
Okay I'm just gonna come out and say it to the USA viewers...

SUCKS!!!! DOESN'T IT!!!!!

What sounds better to you?
1) A world where American viewers mock you every time you don't get something because you did the same thing to us?
2) Or a world where American viewers sympathize with you every time you don't get something because you were also a decent human being to us?

Personally, I like the latter option. I think it ends up creating a better world where people sympathize and empathize with others, rather than one where everyone mocks each other because that's how they've been treated in the past. Spread love, not hate. Be a good person, not a bad person.
SilentArchitect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Since there seems to be a lot of people on the forums who don't seem to know why this is happening, it comes down to the licensing rights and money.

The most probable answer here is that the licensing rights for this show are most likely sold on a country by country (or regional) basis. Some countries cost more, some less. The USA, being one of the biggest, is usually the most expensive and rightfully so.

KyoAni gave Netflix a price to simulcast their show, one that KyoAni themselves thought was fair. Netflix said it was too high, but settled for the basic streaming rights instead.

The most probable reason we in the USA can't legally watch Violet Evergarden on a week to week basis is because Netflix simply didn't want to pay for the right to let you do it.
#themoreyouknow
aiem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
At this point just boycott Netflix. This was a stupid decision on their part and they can go screw themselves.

Uchay wrote:
C'mon guys, at least they are showing they can do simulcast. Maybe next releases will be on more territories, including U.S. You can be sure you'll get the anime eventually at least.

I cheer everytime Netflix Brazil actually adds an anime because a lot of stuff just isn't added here...like ReLife. God, I'll never forget the disappointment when I realized we weren't getting that. Fullmetal Alchemist got added just last week. Could be worse!

And no, it seems we aren't getting the Violet Evergreen simulcast, since I didn't find it here, even with these Brazilian Portuguese dubs on other regions toying with my heart Laughing

Good for those who got it but since they were adding more and more regions to simulcast, this was a slap to those who didn't get it. Also this would have not been an issue had they listened to the complaints way back. There were already complaints of them forcing binge watching as the only option for anime. They even had the gall to say they have data that supports their decision and that people prefer binge watching. Then now they finally do it, they do a half measure. I don't understand why we should be thankful they did a half baked job. Good grief.
MHAFMAB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
Most of the US fans need to relax one anime out hundreds that other countries don't receive is not gonna hurt anyone let them have it what's the big deal I like anime just as much as the next guy but damn most of these comments are ridiculous. Yes Netflix is a US company but their content isn't.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
I suspect they're really pirating the series because they want to see the series as it comes out

This might be obvious, but it begs the question: If that's their immediate response anyway, then why is this turn of events even a point of contention? Piracy is a constant, viable option (practically speaking); it doesn't happen or stop happening just because of what Netflix does or does not do. Call me an asshole, but I'd wager that those who are boasting about piracy as their "solution" to this dilemma might well have gone with it regardless.

Let's not pretend that such folks have any stake in a debate about the capitalistic practices of an entity within a capitalist market, or that they don't have an over-grown sense of entitlement. It's not that they're pirating it because they want to watch it now; it's because they think they deserve to watch it now--a view only exacerbated by the fact that it's available elsewhere, and only undermined further by the fact that it will be available in the Spring....

...They say that Little Witch Academia didn't make nearly as much of a splash as it could have had Netflix followed a release model more in line with traditional fan expectation--but was it really that [expletive] hard to put it in your bucket list, and then to go back to it when it actually dropped? What is so different between that and waiting four years for the second season of Attack on Titan?! Seriously! What logic is being argued, here?

You are making a lot of assumptions about people's viewing habits and why some people will prefer watching shows simulcast as they come out instead of waiting to binge shows.
I prefer watching shows week-to-week because I like the communal experience of discussion around a show, with time to review and discuss each episode before the next episode airs. I can only speak for myself, but if you look on this website you will find that many fans prefer to watch anime this way: it's why ANN has Daily Streaming Reviews with message boards. My suspicion is that Little Witch Academia fell by the wayside because fans didn't have that review and discussion period, which includes discussion on Twitter and other social media sites like Reddit as well as episodic streaming reviews on this and other anime sites and blogs. It didn't have time to marinate and become part of the public discourse.
I don't watch shows week-to-week because I want an excuse to pirate them--It's much easier to watch them via legal means when they are available, anyway. I don't know why you would even assume that people want to watch shows weekly *because they want an excuse to pirate, rather than the other way around. Playing a show off a Roku app is way easier than pirating is.
Netflix never seems to understand the perspective of those of us who prefer watching & discussing a show weekly, and why we prefer it to bingeing.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
I'm in Taiwan right now, and it's on Netflix here. English and Japanese audio & English and Japanese and Simplified Chinese subtitles. (Which is an... interesting choice, considering that we read/write in Traditional Chinese here.)

I've noticed that while we get less shows in general here, we tend to get more simulcasts. (We got Star Trek: Discovery, for instance, which is on CBS All Access in the U.S., so they probably refused to sell streaming rights to Netflix there.) It's probably the same thing for Violet Evergarden now. I doubt Netflix is deliberately cutting out the U.S. market for simulcasts. They were probably just unable to buy the rights for it, for whatever reason.

Though, granted, the lack of communication regarding this delay is definitely on them. But that's Netflix for you.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
VE also airs in Germany and Swiss land, but not in Austria so you are not alone with English Dubs and such
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
SilentArchitect wrote:
Since there seems to be a lot of people on the forums who don't seem to know why this is happening, it comes down to the licensing rights and money.

The most probable answer here is that the licensing rights for this show are most likely sold on a country by country (or regional) basis. Some countries cost more, some less. The USA, being one of the biggest, is usually the most expensive and rightfully so.

I think people know very much what this comes down to. The reason this is confusing and frustrating is because looking at how Netflix, historically, licenses their content, all of the normal "rights and money" reasons don't make any sense. And considering that Netflix gets world-wide rights for everything they can whenever possible, rights for this being sold on a regional basis would be incredibly strange, and an even more incredibly unnecessary extra amount of work.

Quote:
KyoAni gave Netflix a price to simulcast their show, one that KyoAni themselves thought was fair. Netflix said it was too high, but settled for the basic streaming rights instead.

That's 100% not how it works. KyoAni was not throwing offers at Netflix. And if they had, Netflix would've paid whatever they asked.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 am Reply with quote
It's not hate or spite for the US viewers, you don't have fault on anything, it's the corporations that don't give a shit about the rest of the world....

BUT, ONE season that you don't get ONE show... and everybody loses their minds, the breakdown, the salt, the hate towards Netflix because they didn't gave you ONE show it's amazing, from the perspective of someone like me that lives in the other side of the continent this is hilarious, for once we get something that you don't and everything just goes to hell, like, damn.

I wonder what would you people react if you were in our situation, No Funimation, no Anime Strike (I don't know how Prime works here but I don't think they gave a shit), no Hidive and don't even half the catalog on Crunchyroll and Netflix, I really wonder what would you do.

Again, it's not against you but your reaction to not having ONE show is so out of proportion that is hilarious from our perspective.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
Again, it's not against you but your reaction to not having ONE show is so out of proportion that is hilarious from our perspective.

That’s not the point. Netflix as a whole does not simulcast ever afaik. Everything drops in seasons, so when a new show comes out like Fate or Whales or LWA or any of the others, everyone has to wait months before they can see them. And like someone else pointed out, a lot of people like the communal aspect of watching weekly for the discussions and stuff.

So now that Netflix is finally simulcasting something, it’s not doing so in the US. That’s what sucks. So people who enjoy discussions, don’t like spoilers, etc. will be uninvolved in that part unless they pirate. And by the time it is available here, all those threads and discussions will be months old.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:

That’s not the point. Netflix as a whole does not simulcast ever afaik.

They have in Canada at least. We got The 100, Riverdale and a bunch of other shows on the Canadian Netflix as they aired in the States. This could just be a licensing thing (could be they realized Canada isn't part of America finally or it could've been done as individual countries for once this time) or it could just be them seeing if it works with Anime first before doing a full rollout.
hickey92

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
It's not hate or spite for the US viewers, you don't have fault on anything, it's the corporations that don't give a shit about the rest of the world....

BUT, ONE season that you don't get ONE show... and everybody loses their minds, the breakdown, the salt, the hate towards Netflix because they didn't gave you ONE show it's amazing, from the perspective of someone like me that lives in the other side of the continent this is hilarious, for once we get something that you don't and everything just goes to hell, like, .

I agree, the reaction is so over the top. I'm in the UK, so we don't have it as bad as some countries, especially since Funimation started offering service to us a bit, but there was a point up until a few years ago where around half of all shows on Crunchyroll wouldn't get a license outside the US. This is still the case for a number of shows and almost all catalogue titles. If I had hit the roof every time a high profile show was denied to my region, I'd quickly have burnt out.

It's a single show, and the US is still going to get it at some point. There are numerous shows that either never get to another country at all, or require you to buy the physical copy up front a year or so later without even knowing if you'll like the show. In quite a few cases, the only way I've been able to see an unlicensed show legally was to import it from the US or Japan at a much higher cost. Have a little perspective.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I have enough trouble trying to keep track of all of the other shows that are airing this season. This is not an issue of prejudice or means of consumption; simply finding the time to enjoy and simultaneously trim the fat from my viewing list is going to be consuming enough.

Also, I remember the days of Kazaa and Limewire, waiting days to download a single episode of Gundam with piss poor subtitles in broken English. In middle school I thought I was hot shit because I did not have to wait two years to watch a release I heard about through the grapevine of IRC. And there were many doujins, rejoice. I watched Advent Children in Japanese the year it was released with no subtitles, trying to find a video player other than Quicktime that would be .avi file compatible, and then discovering VLC and Veoh was a proud accomplishment for a kid that only had twenty dollars to spend at Tower Records every few weeks.

I understand the frustration of not having access to something we love, and at the same time, not undermining the hard work to achieve it by any means can feel like a badge of honor.

However, the market has changed. I have changed and what I respect and expect is not an immediate release because I can wait a few months while I weed through all of the other shows I do have access to, or even wait a year to get a show I like enough to buy a physical release. This concept is absolutely amazing and so much less work for me now that I am an adult and have the income I need to support it. Netflix is trying to connect everything on a global scale, and this is a failure of execution, but not an excuse to toss this whole concept out the window.

My larger point covers two things:
- One, we should be grateful for we already have an patient for what we do not because it puts a sour taste in anime viewing itself.
- And two, turning back to things like piracy does offer short term relief but is not sustainable for an industry and other companies than Netflix who want to take us out of the dark ages into mainstream anime viewing with all of its options and rewards.

These are all things we already know, though. The salt here is more romantic than it needs to be.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8