• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Switch Becomes Fastest-Selling Console of All Time in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OtakunX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
OtakunX wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Or maybe Nintendo has a really good system that a lot of people like? I don't know why there's all this cognitive dissonance with people trying to explain away the positive reception of the Switch without having to acknowledge the qualities of the Switch.

Well, it wasn't cause Nintendo "has a really good system" cause if it was based only on the system then the Nvidia Shield, which is pretty much the same thing as the switch but android, would have sold just as well which you can get for 100 bucks cheaper then the switch. The Switch is a tablet that has already been on the market previously but sold by Nintendo with Nintendo games at a higher price point.

If you think I'm exaggerating the issue then feel free to look up the prices of the SanDisk SD cards with Nintendo logo on them. You'll notice they are much more expensive despite SanDisk making SD cards already for much cheaper but you pay more for that Nintendo logo. Nintendo does this cause they know their fans will buy mediocre products with their logo on it. (not speaking for games since they actually work on those).

Of course, you wanna say Nintendo fans buy "mediocre products". Rolling Eyes

The Wii was the gamecube put in a new shell and given waggle controllers ... look at how much nintendo fans ate that system up.
Superfield

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
OtakunX wrote:
The Wii was the gamecube put in a new shell and given waggle controllers ... look at how much nintendo fans ate that system up.

The Wii sold like gangbusters because of the casual market who played it for 30 minutes, got bored, and then put it in the closet. The more core market that remained were very critical of the game design mentalities in play at the time.

And if your main point about the Switch only being successful because Nintendo's brand is stamped on it is because it's underpowered, that fails for several reasons.

Firstly, the Wii U had not only the Nintendo brand, but the Wii brand, and look where that ended up. Clearly, the brand alone isn't enough to carry a Nintendo system.

Secondly, power means next to nothing if there's nothing to play on it. The Xbox One X may be the most powerful console yet released, but to what end? Microsoft is sweating hard because they've got shit for exclusives when compared to Sony or Nintendo. Meanwhile, Nintendo has been putting out a major release every month since the Switch's launch (a lot of those were Wii U ports, I'll admit, but it only made sense to put it on a console people actually wanted) and they're some of the most successful games of 2017.

If you buy a console based on RAM and teraflops, that's your decision. But don't expect people to listen when you start thumbing your nose at them for picking a console based on games and the flexibility and convenience that console offers.
OtakunX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
OtakunX wrote:

The Wii sold like gangbusters because of the casual market who played it for 30 minutes, got bored, and then put it in the closet. The more core market that remained were very critical of the game design mentalities in play at the time.

And if your main point about the Switch only being successful because Nintendo's brand is stamped on it is because it's underpowered, that fails for several reasons.

Firstly, the Wii U had not only the Nintendo brand, but the Wii brand, and look where that ended up. Clearly, the brand alone isn't enough to carry a Nintendo system.

Secondly, power means next to nothing if there's nothing to play on it. The Xbox One X may be the most powerful console yet released, but to what end? Microsoft is sweating hard because they've got shit for exclusives when compared to Sony or Nintendo. Meanwhile, Nintendo has been putting out a major release every month since the Switch's launch (a lot of those were Wii U ports, I'll admit, but it only made sense to put it on a console people actually wanted) and they're some of the most successful games of 2017.

If you buy a console based on RAM and teraflops, that's your decision. But don't expect people to listen when you start thumbing your nose at them for picking a console based on games and the flexibility and convenience that console offers.

Half of what you posted had nothing to do with my points but I don't care enough to reiterate the point. I find it funny that you jumped to the power of the system argument which I didn't even bring up outside of nintendo using old tech which has been what they've done for decades.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I can't for the life of me understand why this system is successful... But whatever keeps Nintendo afloat, I guess. Breath of the Wild (which I played on the Wii U) is easily the best game Nintendo has released in forever and made me feel like a child again because it was so exciting to play. So for that reason I'll take the success of an underwhelming system to keep Nintendo around as a console maker.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
And here I was, assuming that a games console that detaches into pieces (and could thus become partially missing) would not be a success...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
^^That is part of why one should never write Nintendo off or count them out ever. They can find ways to succeed. Smile

Revolutionary wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand why this system is successful... But whatever keeps Nintendo afloat, I guess. Breath of the Wild (which I played on the Wii U) is easily the best game Nintendo has released in forever and made me feel like a child again because it was so exciting to play. So for that reason I'll take the success of an underwhelming system to keep Nintendo around as a console maker.

It’s actually quite easy to understand why the Switch is successful as it is. It’s a hybrid system between home console and handheld and Nintendo’s handhelds have always done well for them for many reasons. The convenience factor to switch between the two is one of the reasons the system is doing well and also the games out for it are pretty fun to play. It’s not necessary underwhelming at all either, since it is the most powerful handheld ever made. If you don’t like it, that’s your opinion, but it’s really not that hard to see why people really like it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
Or maybe Nintendo has a really good system that a lot of people like? I don't know why there's all this cognitive dissonance with people trying to explain away the positive reception of the Switch without having to acknowledge the qualities of the Switch.

On subject that's pretty amazing. It's so funny coming after all the doom and gloom era. Nintendo is clearly still strong. The switch is such an amazig system. The console/portable gimmick is just so brilliant. I understand why it caught up so much. Plus all the amazing games.

Much like anime, Nintendo has been 'dying' for decades.

Who knew game journalists didn't know what they were talking about? Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
But I care about how they fucked up Zelda

People have been droning on with this argument since at least between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.....when general consensus though seems to out Skyward Sword as being the weakest of the mainline games (though you apparently have to disregard at least the 2nd and even the original game apparently to do that).

0nsen wrote:
Wasted. It's sad that game makers feel the need to hold gamers hands this much nowadays.

From what bit I played of BOTW it doesn't really do this to an overbearing degree.

Superfield wrote:
Microsoft is sweating hard because they've got shit for exclusives when compared to Sony or Nintendo.

Except that's not even one of the reasons why the One's been struggling to repeat the success that the 360 had, keep in mind the 360 was a strong selling console in spite of only having stuff like Halo, Gears Of War, & Forza to it's name. And microsoft themselves weren't ashamed to tout the fact that system was practically a go to for multi-platform titles at every e3 as the Wii couldn't handle certain titles and in some instances PS3 versions of a number of games looked blurry or ran at 30 FPS compared to their 360 counterparts. Secondly many of the most popular games of the last few years were not outright exclusives.

Call Of Duty, Fifa, even Breath Of The Wild despite being exclusive to Nintendo systems is a cross platform title.

No the One's stuggle's lie with things like launching the console at a higher price point compared to it's competitors, built in kinect (which helped drive up the console's original price), initially them not really being up front whether the system would have DRM.

Superfield wrote:
that's your decision. But don't expect people to listen when you start thumbing your nose at them for picking a console based on games and the flexibility and convenience that console offers.

Would be nice if Nintendo would remember what a proper controller looks like and actually bundle that with the system instead of selling it separately for 70 dollars. Making you use a default control setup that's not ideal for most games.

So much for flexibility and convenience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2