• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Shuts Down Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Daolong wrote:
Now all we need is Netflix to simulcast its exclusive anime offerings and all will be well. I never picked up strike precisely because I was already paying a monthly prime subscription to access content. The double paywall was ridiculous.

Devilman Crybaby's full series released today.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Good. Maybe now they'll focus on quality streaming, dubbing, subbing, and licensing and not bleeding anime fans of all their worth. Next time I make a big order, I'll prime and binge all the series I've missed thus far. Hooray!
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
This article is incorrect. Pop Team Epic is also streaming on Crunchyroll and Funimation.

Thank you for pointing this out. We've removed the mention of exclusive streaming.
Zin5ki

The sound of half a Champagne cork popping! One paywall falls, the other remains. (Though Amazon's lack of notable exclusives for this season certainly bodes well for the fate of future shows.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

I've got a thimble here to collect all the tears that will be shed by this announcement. Did I mention it's a very, very, very small thimble? As a Canadian, the AS paywall was never an issue since most of the AS titles got streamed through the regular AP service up here. However, the technical issues were an issue for me: all too often, an episode would drop days after it was supposed to and, again, way too often, episodes would show up without subtitles. I don't think this means will be seeing less legitimately streamed titles - it just means those titles will go to more technically dependable streaming sites.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
From missing subtitles to episodes of exclusive series delayed days after the episode was supposed to air to almost non-existent customer service. Anime Strike had numerous problems most of these I chalked up to it being a relatively new Anime Streaming service and Amazon being relatively new to the Anime Market.

Of course that's me being charitable I was never crazy about the idea of a double paywall I also never found it that terribly galling either. That being said it was so shoddily run that I am glad I no longer have to deal with any of the aforementioned problems anymore just to watch Made In Abyss or Land Of the Lustrous.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Wheee! Off I go to watch Garden of Sinners, Paprika, the rest of Made In Abyss, the rest of Onihei, the rest of Scum's Wish, the rest of Hozuki no Reitetsu 2, all of Land of the Lustrous, and I suppose I'll try out Inuyashiki. And I was really looking forward to After the Rain until I found out where it was going, so I am glad I will be able to watch that! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I already pirated The Great Passage and Kabukibu... it is too bad I didn't get to see them in high definition, but I have no time for regrets! There is anime to watch!
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So are they going to refund those of us who were subscribed? With the Anime Strike Twitter account down, it's not even clear where we're supposed to ask.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
it just means those titles will go to more technically dependable streaming sites.

Yeah. Having experienced AS's lousy subtitle formatting (very difficult to change options which aren't consistently readable) and translations (which brought back nostalgic memories of late-2000s fansubs), I won't be sorry to see this happen.
LeylineRider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I just cancelled my Strike membership on Tuesday, got a notification email saying their anime content was now available with just Prime this morning. This makes me happy. Good riddance to the double paywall. I know with shows these past few seasons have suffered a lack of exposure due to the paywall, so I’m hoping more people will now take advantage of this.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Made my day, yes indeed. Laughing

Mark Gosdin
pi8you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaaand there's the service cancellation email from Amazon:

Quote:
We have great news: you no longer need a subscription to watch the shows and movies on Anime Strike. All titles are now included with your Prime membership at no additional charge, effective today, in addition to thousands more movies and TV shows. There is no action needed on your part—we’ve automatically canceled your recurring subscription for you.

If you have service remaining from your last billing cycle, a pro-rated refund will be issued to the payment method you used. Refunds are usually processed within two to three business days.

We hope you enjoyed watching Anime Strike on Amazon Channels, the Prime benefit that lets you choose your channels. Don’t forget, there are 100+ channels to try, you only pay for the channels you want, and you can cancel anytime.

Thank you for being a Prime member.

I was beginning to wonder where any news of new simulcasts from them were, now I guess it's a matter of if there'll be any more at all.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. It only lasted a year. It's actually amazing how short it was considering I remember them saying Strike was doing better then what they projected it would do.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
So are they going to refund those of us who were subscribed? With the Anime Strike Twitter account down, it's not even clear where we're supposed to ask.

If you mean refund the entire year you had it then no. Just the last billing cycle.

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Good riddance! Now I can watch all the shows I missed this past year.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
curtisd88 wrote:
This is nothing but a good thing. Now Funi and Crunchy have better chances of getting the streaming rights to shows again.

And there is the downside. That near-monopoly is back. Hopefully Amazon themselves pick up some anime still, like they did with Kabenari. I like their service...I just don't like the double paywall. Their customization subtitles, higher bitrate, ect, is much nicer than all the competition.

@curtisd88: Crunchyroll and Funimation were not having trouble getting great content.

@Kougeru: I rather see a monopoly that having a "simulcasts" service that posted episodes late, sometimes without subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8