• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Lists Violet Evergarden Anime in Some Countries on January 11, But Anime's Site Still Lists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
IloveArmpits wrote:
This apear for brazil too, soo i used the netflix suport for confirme... and they confirmed the serie will have a new episode in day 11...

If you contacted support and they confirmed that for you, that's great! I have seen confirmation from customer support that is often wrong, since they are just parroting whatever information is currently on the site, but I hope this is true. If Netflix could do make me love them near-unconditionally, it would be to simulcast their shows.
If they really worry about casuals running into the show and dropping it after a single episode during simulcast, they could easily just not list the series in browse, and make it available only to those who specifically search for it through the search bar. Then at the end of the season, they can let all the marketing loose, and put it on the front page. Very Happy
Robbl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Still have to laugh at the Netflix "Original" moniker. Anyways, while Netflix is the streaming licensee, has the home video licensee been announced?

Also, I don't know if this was discussed in the Q&A at the Anime Expo 2017 premiere of the series, but did they say how much of the Violet Evergarden novel is being adapted by the TV show? Is it the whole novel? I wonder about that because if it's not a complete adaptation, then there could be a chance for a OVA or movie afterward, like Beyond the Boundary, another KyoAni novel adaptation. This also pertains to the home video release because usually the followup stuff is only obtainable by that means.

Anime Limited have the home video license for the UK and Ireland regions.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
The show's official website still states that Netflix will stream the series inside Japan starting in January when the anime airs on Japanese television, and will then stream the series outside of Japan starting in spring 2018

Ha, if Netflix really believes we'll wait to Spring to watch it, I have a bridge to sell them.... Laughing

Apparently you have little patience. I mean manga readers have to wait months (sometimes years) sometimes before it makes it overseas. Same could be said for dub only watchers. Is it really so bad to wait three months and have it available dubbed in 3-5 languages and all released at the same time? Doing all that in three months time is still pretty impressive if you ask me.

Comparing manga to anime is irrelevant. Anime is based off existing content. The main problem a lot of us have with waiting is that it's nearly impossible to avoid spoilers when it comes to anime in the internet age. Unless you avoid all anime forums and chat rooms entirely, it's better to watch anime as soon as possible. Especially if you're more hardcore and your friends are as well. More so if you have friends in countries where they DO get simulstreaming. Most importantly though. there's just ZERO reason for them to force people to wait. None at all. Especially if SOME countries will be getting English subs already. That would be the worst.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
The show's official website still states that Netflix will stream the series inside Japan starting in January when the anime airs on Japanese television, and will then stream the series outside of Japan starting in spring 2018

Ha, if Netflix really believes we'll wait to Spring to watch it, I have a bridge to sell them.... Laughing

You're right. I'm waiting for the BD's, which come out much later. Cool
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Comparing manga to anime is irrelevant. Anime is based off existing content. The main problem a lot of us have with waiting is that it's nearly impossible to avoid spoilers when it comes to anime in the internet age. Unless you avoid all anime forums and chat rooms entirely, it's better to watch anime as soon as possible. Especially if you're more hardcore and your friends are as well. More so if you have friends in countries where they DO get simulstreaming. Most importantly though. there's just ZERO reason for them to force people to wait. None at all. Especially if SOME countries will be getting English subs already. That would be the worst.

Comparing anime release timeframes to manga releases is very relevant. To say otherwise is asinine and sheer arrogance because you arent getting your way. Is this the best situation? No it probably isnt but to sit here and spout about how if you peruse a forum or talk to another friend the show is going to get spoiled for you is idiocracy. Dub only watchers have been dealing with this for years as have manga readers. Those people dont necessarily block off contact with friends who have legal access nor do they just not read a forum. It isnt as cataclysmic as you make it out to be.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Netflix's release schedule really is a complete mystery, and their customer service department is no help. The person I tried to ask about the status of the simulcast in the US said "Violet Evergarden is currently unavailable, stay tuned on our social media outlets for updates."

That statement really wasn't clear to me at all though and could be interpreted in multiple different ways. Did he mean that Violet Evergarden wasn't streaming that very second? Did he mean that Netflix currently had no solid plan for the show in the US? I really should have probed him further, but it seemed like a lost cause.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Karl2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, Netflix features English descriptions even for shows that do not have English subtitles or an English dub in non-English-speaking countries

Actually that is only the case if you already have the settings on English, if put in another language, Swedish this case, it will change into that version

DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Dub only watchers have been dealing with this for years as have manga readers.

Because they have no CHOICE in the matter, not because they are some sort of paladins of virtue. Also, dubs are completely irrelevant to sub only watchers like myself.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Dub only watchers have been dealing with this for years as have manga readers.
dubs are completely irrelevant to sub only watchers like myself.
...congratulations? I mean I guess this gives you a chance to whine and cry like it’s the end of the universe. Because you’ve never waited for anything longer than a week.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Baffling decisions by entertainment companies always make more sense when you realize they do not, in general, do what the customers want. They do what's profitable and fits their existing business model. Sometimes that aligns with what we want, and sometimes it doesn't.

In the long term, that sort of behavior hurts them, but the long term is generally ignored in modern capitalism. Anime streaming may be headed for a crash. I'd finally gotten away from pirating, but I've had to do it for a few shows this year despite having access to Crunchyroll and Netflix and only watching, like, 5 shows total. This show probably isn't something I'd even bother with if it's inconvenient to watch.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Baffling decisions by entertainment companies always make more sense when you realize they do not, in general, do what the customers want. They do what's profitable and fits their existing business model. Sometimes that aligns with what we want, and sometimes it doesn't.

In the long term, that sort of behavior hurts them, but the long term is generally ignored in modern capitalism. Anime streaming may be headed for a crash. I'd finally gotten away from pirating, but I've had to do it for a few shows this year despite having access to Crunchyroll and Netflix and only watching, like, 5 shows total. This show probably isn't something I'd even bother with if it's inconvenient to watch.

Perhaps, seasonal anime watchers aren't Netflix's main customers. Perhaps, their main customers are non-seasonal or casual fans who couldn't give a fig about the new hotness and would rather see the whole thing at their own pace, possibly all at once, or dub fans who would prefer to hear it in their own language. Perhaps it's not that they are doing things in total disregard to their customers, it's that what their primary customer base prefers and what we, the seasonal anime viewers, prefer are not the same. I'd prefer they stick to real originals and leave the stuff airing on TV to those services that would stream it, but I wouldn't say that their model is bad for business. And we're just talking about waiting three months after the premiere, not six months or a year. It's a small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, and it's better than nothing, and I say that as someone who is still waiting for someone, anyone to pick up Symphogear AXZ after six months.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
LOL I live in Canada so I'm fine with this. Also I checked Netflix and it does indeed say it is premiering here on January 11.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

I mean maybe you won't but I will. Don't use we when speaking about yourself.

Unfortunately, presuming everyone is like themselves (and if they aren't, asserting something is wrong with them) is an all to common trait, and not just among anime fans. Someone over at CR made an identical claim a few days ago.

It doesn't matter to me personally whether it will be simulcast or not, as for years now I have waited for shows to finish (or at least complete the first half) before watching.

The only benefit to me would be removing one "justification" (as if simulcasts were an inherit right) some people use for piracy . That said, I expect many will just come up with another one like "I can't afford another service for 3-6 months".

I'm less bothered by the piracy itself than that some people want to portrait themselves as a victim (e.g., "Netflix made me do it!").
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Comparing anime release timeframes to manga releases is very relevant. To say otherwise is asinine and sheer arrogance because you arent getting your way. Is this the best situation? No it probably isnt but to sit here and spout about how if you peruse a forum or talk to another friend the show is going to get spoiled for you is idiocracy. Dub only watchers have been dealing with this for years as have manga readers. Those people dont necessarily block off contact with friends who have legal access nor do they just not read a forum. It isnt as cataclysmic as you make it out to be.

I agree that it's not cataclysmic, but you are dismissing points in the complaint.
1. There *are* legal manga translations released in the same timeframe as their original Japan versions--I have a Shonen Jump subscription and a Crunchyroll subscription and am happy to read, for example, the latest chapter of Attack on Titan when it comes out on Crunchyroll and discuss it with fellow fans, because:
2. For me, and many other fans, we enjoy the communal experience of discussing a series as it comes out, with space and time between episodes. This is an issue not just for analytical, discussion loving fans, but for creators who want their work to be enjoyed serially, as they prefer for it to be released that way. Some have even complained about Netflix's binge model, but Netflix dismissed them.
3. Not only is it genuinely frustrating that Netflix will release shows serially in some countries but not others, but they are actively encouraging unhealthy viewing habits in their "binge racer" ad campaign, as if watching a series as quickly as possible after they release it for streaming is a virtue.

I am so sick of Netflix's BS, and this news story gives me a glimmer of hope that they'll change their ways--release shows as the *artists* prefer they be released, give audiences a choice on how and when to watch. It's not much to ask of a premium TV network.
JusticeArrows

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:42 am Reply with quote
And once more Netflix shows how much they actually value Australia. Almost every country getting the show simulcasted (minus USA) and we don't. Great job, Netflix.

Oh well, don't know why I am surprised by this. Netflix never really seemed to care about Australia anyways. I guess that's the way it is...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4