• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Favorite Anime Duos of 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
A different dynamic (girl and [grand?]father figure) but one of my favorites were the Titular Alice & Zoroku. Gruff guy giving a loving but firm hand to a girl who needs it the most. One of the great moments of the year is when he came to save her from the giant hairy arm conjuring girl.

Close might be Keita and Karen from Gamers!, but then... what about platonic od couple Keita and Aguri? ...hmm, I guess the real strength of that one is the playing off of everyone in the ensemble. It'll need a sequel to really show off the strength of the couples.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
^So true. Alice and Zouroku was a good duo. A shame the show seems to have been immediately forgotten, but I enjoyed it.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Close might be Keita and Karen from Gamers!, but then... what about platonic od couple Keita and Aguri? ...hmm, I guess the real strength of that one is the playing off of everyone in the ensemble. It'll need a sequel to really show off the strength of the couples.

Yeah, I was trying to think of what the best duo from Gamers would be, but I think the main cast of that show does work best as an ensemble.

And you can add my voice to the chorus for Chito and Yuuri.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Chito and Yuuri! Chito and Yuuri! Chito and Yuuri!

Besides these two I'm happy with this list, because it's the first time I actually watched all the shows in a Lynzee list. Achievement unlocked!!
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Can't answer the newest question, to be honest. Confused CG can be like Kemono Friends or Land of the Lustrous, in which case it's a pleasant watch....or it can be like Hand Shakers where it falls flat on its face.The variance is simply too wide. Especially as production budgets don't seem to figure into that question...
Totally agree, but on the whole I was hoping for a "getting better" option in the poll, as on the whole CG animation in Japan is. Actually, the best examples are in Hollywood films these days but Japan has been following a different path and improving. Since the programs are getting better and cheaper, making it so easy to build and animate a model and put in as much detail as you have time for (Animation Master, etc), even film students can make really good shorts. I expect we will see a "Hollywood quality" example in anime in the next 5 years or so if the current super-heated anime industry doesn't suffer a reversal ala 2006.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
I'm surprised to take notice of Gabriel and Satanichia making the list.

I'm not so much surprised about Gabriel Dropout making the list as I am that Satanichia/Satania isn't paired with Raphiel/Raph, who treats Satanichia as her own personal plaything.

Though maybe it's just that Gabriel is (relatively) easier on Satanichia than Raphiel, whose treatment of Satanichia borders on sado-masochism. Gabriel just throws the occasional door at her or shoots Satanichia with her own gun.

Of course Vignette/Vigne is left out of all these pairings but she compensates by being best girl.

Gabriel Dropout is the only 2017 anime I actually watched to completion the year it aired, though I intend on finishing Little Witch Academia at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:

And, am I the only one who finds the relationship between Elias and Chise weird and disturbing? I can't focus on the magic and fantasy because of that. Confused

Kougeru wrote:
I agree with Chito and Yuu comments. Elias and Chise still make me uncomfortable due to the fact that that he brought her. I'll probably never get over that. Just feels like Stockholm syndrome when I watch the show. Good list otherwise.

I'm rooting for Chise to become her own Ancient Magus and leave the "bride" part far behind. She can keep her loyal dog boy, though. It's not that I don't see Elias as deserving of love, but right now their dynamic is incredibly unhealthy and co-dependent. Neither is ok on their own, and Chise's situation as Elias's dependent apprentice is especially tenuous. She needs to go to that magical college and figure herself out before we can be reasonably assured that marrying Elias is a choice made out of free will, and not desperate emotional dependence. Elias needs to figure himself and his relationship needs as well. Neither of them are healthy, and I can't see their relationship as celebratory. I'm not happy that Elias was chosen by 3 critics as character of the year, either, and Chise was not on the list--she's growing more than he is, and she has more self awareness than he seems capable of right now. Maybe Elias doesn't realize how much he needs to change?

As for Best Couples, someone hasn't been watching Dragon Ball Super. This season gave us spoiler[Caulifla and Kale, Super Saiyan girls who fused into Kefla. First female Super Saiyans and first female Super Saiyan Fusion! That's a monumental coupling for anime!]
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
For the opinion poll, i can't really answer because i (still) dislike full cgi animes, but will watch and give a chance to full cgi films. I still enjoy the Appleseed franchise and even the 2004 one looks pretty good compared to the cgi anime today even though the comparison isnt all that fair. That said, the XIII anime of Appleseed was pretty bad in terms of graphical merits. I've seen a lot of the cgi anime films, my least favorite cgi anime film would be either PlanZet because of its uncanny valley, or Expelled from Paradise for its choppy frames. Personally i think the question should be split into cgi anime and cgi films.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The CG anime question is definitely not one that can be answered simply. The example of mixed animation - Love Live - isn't exactly hiding the fact that it's a cost-cutting measure, plain and simple. Land of the Lustrous uses mixed animation as well, but it's all part of the show's style from the beginning.

Kemono Friends, on the other hand, is a case of a cheap show using its low budget against itself; it's not exactly something you can measure with.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Also in regards to the CG question, since people have been talking about it, nearly every show in any given season is technically partial-CG. The majority of background work is CG, as are lots of background elements, background characters, distance shots, etc. So it's hard to know exactly what is considered "a mix" here. There aren't really any series that aren't mixed on some level.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Wait... Keita and Aguri were platonic? They were the only ones who went on dates!
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Skyletv wrote:

And, am I the only one who finds the relationship between Elias and Chise weird and disturbing? I can't focus on the magic and fantasy because of that. Confused

Yeah, you're definitely not the only one. The "he's a child" line seems to be a common one to try to decrease this factor, but aside from being supposedly ignorant of human behavior and phrases (despite reading human newspapers?) and not being able to restrain himself at times, he doesn't behave like a child and is often presented like a fatherly man at the same time... which doesn't help this any for me. Or, at the least, he's a very different kind of "child" than Chise is, and more like a fae-man-child in a bolo tie. He also really seems to like bringing up that he bought her whenever anyone asks about her, or at least that he paid a lot of money. I'm mostly baffled by how... rarely he ever even does anything though, it's mostly the side characters who have helped her.

I'm happy to see Dragon Maid, Rakugo, and Made in Abyss on the list though. I'd mainly add either of the two main couplings from Konohana Kitan or potentially Hakkai and Gojyo from Saiyuki Reload Blast, as they got some great scenes this season, spoiler[particularly regarding their respective demon states] but I know those are much less popular.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^So true. Alice and Zouroku was a good duo. A shame the show seems to have been immediately forgotten, but I enjoyed it.

I had distinctly different reactions to the first and last half of Alice to Zouroku based largely on spoiler[Zouroko's lack of screen time in the second half and the departure of Minnie, perhaps the best character of the series with one of the most distinctive performances I've heard from Noto Mamiko].
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
^That's understandable. Honestly, I think I would've been perfectly fine had they dropped the wonderland aspect of the show almost entirely and focused on the relationship between the two of them, as well as Sanae, who was also excellent. But then again, some of my all time favorite shows are Bunny Drop and Barakamon, so I'm obviously pretty partial to that relationship dynamic.
And yeah, that was a great performance by Noto.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2