• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2017

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch enough to have a top 5 list this year -- I spent the first half of the year catching up on the best of 2016 (Yuri on Ice!!, Re:Zero, Konosuba, etc.), and I clearly need to cave in to Amazon's double-paywall and subscribe to Strike if I want to keep up with The Discourse.

For twists, I have a few, although they're pretty meta:

• Fuuka: The title character spoiler[doesn't die, like she does in the manga, and instead of becoming a hot mess like its source material, the anime settles for being a quickly-forgotten mediocrity.]
  • Love Live! Sunshine!!: The save-our-school plot spoiler[not only matters, Aqours actually fails, and accepts the inevitable, vowing to go out with a bang by carving their school's name on the Love Live! trophy.]
  • Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter: It turns out that spoiler[Yamakan wasn't the worst thing to ever happen to this lovable franchise that just Can Not Catch A Break.]
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to watch a lot of shows this year but my top 3 shows are?

1) Land Of The Lustrous : Gem Boys, no unlikeable characters really ( Though Phos started out as a little annoying ), great designs, great character development ( On Phos' Part ), actually MOTIVATED me to read the Manga which is rare for me, Best looking CG Anime to date
2) inuyashiki : haven't caught up to the end but I liked what I did see. Its good show
3) kakegurui : though a little predictable, a liked the show quite a but and thought it to be the best show of the summer season ( of the few shows I did watch at the time )

Runner up would have to be Katsugeki! touken ranbu. I actually hated this Anime and it actually made me dislike Ufotable even more than I already did but I say runner up out of obligation to Mikazuki Munechika and Tsurumaru Kuninaga, the best parts of that shit show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Hard for me to take any list seriously when Attack on Titan is on it. This post is confusing me though. Are these all supposed to be clickable? I tried on three browsers. The only that that's clickable for me is the Best Plot Twists....in which I can't really say anything for because every show telegraphed their "Twists" too obviously for me to really say what was better than the other. Everything is too obvious now days.

Though, I really wish people would exclude incomplete anime. Anime that are extending into 2018 should not be counted on any of these lists. 3-Gatsu no Lion S2 is fantastic, and easily one of the best anime partially created in 2017 but it should only be on 2018 lists since it's not over yet.

Dragon Maid, Tsukigakirei, and Konohana Kitan should be watched by everyone, though.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This post is confusing me though. Are these all supposed to be clickable? I tried on three browsers.

You'll see a new one go available each day this week. Only the one with Plot Twists should be available today.

Quote:
Though, I really wish people would exclude incomplete anime. Anime that are extending into 2018 should not be counted on any of these lists.

Why? It's entirely possible to judge series on what's aired so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I would probably put episoe 11 of Animegataris down as the "best plot twist".
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
There are still a bunch of shows I want to watch that I haven't got around to. There are a lot of shows and it's a pretty good year. Although I found the spring and summer season to be on a particularly weak side, fall came in and fixed that.

Note that shows like Attack on Titan or My Hero Academia are never going to be on my list as I don't care enough to experience the story again in animated format. Then there are shows like Shoukoku no Altair or Kino's Journey which could have gone on my list if they actually did the adaptation right.

1) Land of the Lustrous
2) Scum's Wish
3) Made in Abyss
4) ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
5) Girl's Last Tour

Honourable mentions: 1st half of Little Witch Academia, The Eccentric Family
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
My $0.02 worth (which is probably more than its actually worth):

Best: Re:Creators
Its very rare for me to get so much into a show that I can barely wait for the next episode. For all of its flaws, I found this series to be a blast from beginning to end: the characters, the animation, the writing, even the music were all top notch. And c'mon, it probably had the best recap episode of all time. So far as I'm concerned, this was AOTY for me, and I genuinely don't give a damn what anyone thinks.

Top Ten more or less in order:
1. Re:Creators
2. Alice & Zouroku
3. Yujo Senki (Saga of Tanya the Evil)
4. Little Witch Academia
5. Sakura Quest
6. Made in Abyss
7. Ancient Magus’ Bride
8. Animegataris
9. Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond
10. Classroom of the Elite

Best Guilty Pleasure: Armed Girl's Machiavellism

Honorable Mentions:
Chain Chronicle, ID-0, Love Tyrant, Gamers, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, Owarimonogatari s2, Black Clover, Gabriel Dropout, Frame Arms Girl, Grimoire of Zero, Granblue Fantasy, Knights & Magic, Just Because, New Game!!, Inuyashiki, Onihei

Worst: Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor
Dear god, be careful what you wish for. Irresponsible Captain Tylor is one of my all-time favorite series, and I've wanted a sequel covering the later novels (Irresponsible Admiral Tylor and Irresponsible President Tylor) for decades. But sadly, they decided to skip those books entirely, and went with an original story that was just... awful. And to add insult to injury, the animation quality was atrocious, at times so klunky you'd think it was done with Adobe Flash. This was easily the biggest disappointment for me of the year, a huge let down and an object lesson about how difficult it can be to revisit your old favorites.

Dishonorable Mentions:
Clockwork Planet, 18if, Vatican Miracle Examiners, King's Game

Dropped (though seemed pretty good but just weren't what I was looking for):
The Royal Tutor, Restaurant from Another World

Shows that I still plan to get to one of these days:
Fate/Apocrypha, Saiyuki Reload Blast

Overall, 2017 was a mixed bag for me. Lots of shows that I think stood out (more than in previous years), but also a lot more mediocre or just plain awful titles as well. And judging by what appears to be coming down the pike for 2018, it looks to me that this trend will continue.

On to 2018!

Last edited by DeTroyes on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This year was the best in awhile and ended up breaking some trends. Moe blob designs aren't a favorite of mine, so the fact that 2 of my top 3 have those really speaks to their strength otherwise.

5. Saiyuki Reload Blast - To be fair, I don't think this can stand alone that well, but if in continuation with the backgrounds from the previous material? Then it's pretty great, and it's especially nice to see Saiyuki so well animated for once. Episode 3 in particular was fantastic, combining humor with character development and even a bit of philosophy.
4. Land of the Lustrous - Creative with a lead character journey that ends up being surprisingly well done. While it's very much Phos' story, Antarcticite was probably my favorite character, and played off Phos really well. The last episode also hinted that the side characters may have more development than we got to see in this season, as one of the aspects that did hold it back a little was how there's a large supporting cast, but only a few of them are currently developed.
3. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - Hilarious and it had me smiling almost every episode with d'aw. Seeing Kobayashi's and Tohru's relationship develop was a strong point. Though it got knocked down a notch for the scenes with Quetzalcoatl and shota boy, they're thankfully minor enough + those segments short enough that it's possible to (mostly) ignore them.
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu season 2 - I agree that this wasn't as strong as the first season, and I didn't like the direction it went in the very last episode, but it was still a stunning conclusion to this story with some amazing voice acting work and character development. Following Kiku throughout his life was fascinating, but it was also great to see Konatsu spoiler[finally get to perform]
1. Made in Abyss - I was invested in this from the start, but then, I also love insane dungeon crawlers which is what it reminded me of, only in anime form. ... and then, it only kept on ranking higher by also leaving an emotional impact and introducing some memorable, unique characters. Plus, it uses sound effects perfectly and that soundtrack.

Attack on Titan s2 comes in a close 6th. For Honorable Mentions, I'd also add ACCA, Konohana Kitan, and Classicaloid (thanks primarily to Schubert, though the pygmy hippo composer also helped)... as well as Vatican Miracle Examiner in a #10 slot for the pure lol value. It isn't good, but somehow I found myself looking forward to it just for absurdity.

I'm curious about Scum's Wish and March Comes in Like a Lion, but have yet to get around to watching them.

Considering that two of my favorite characters from this year are Ozen (Made in Abyss) and Kikuhiko (Rakugo), I don't know why I seem to like old, questionable characters who spend too much time thinking about someone from their past and aren't good with children.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
From out of 15 picks on the 1st day, I've only finished 7 of them - counting the repeats - and only one of them is in my top 5 (but the repeating Attack on Titan is in my top 10!). Out of the remaining 8, I've dropped 5. Gee, these lists weren't really on my tastes Laughing

As for plot-twist of the year, I'd say it was the Winter arc for Land of the Lustrous. I'd never expect spoiler[Antarcticite getting captured and the effect it has on Phos, nor the gold fusing with Phos]. It was amazing and brought the story - which was pretty good so far - into a whole other level.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Finally have time to write this after driving back from visiting family.

Starting with honorable mentions, Rakugo's second season is my number 6 of the year, and after that (in no order) are Gintama (both Winter and Fall's cours), Scum's Wish, March 2, and MHA 2.

I originally had Rakugo in my top five, but after Jacob rated it very highly in the podcast (and here), I went with Attack on Titan 2 for my number 5 for the year instead. AoT stuck in my mind more than Rakugo did, and this was the season that reaffirmed my love for the series, and made me comfortable in rating the first season so highly. The excellent production this time around (though they still had some struggles towards the end) really put things over the top. We'll see how the next season goes, as I've heard many things in regard to the following arc from the manga, but I have no qualms putting this show here.

4. Land of the Lustrous: As I said in the best of fall thread, this was one of the most visually striking series, not just of the season, but of the year, and from a CG series no less. I would definitely say this is the best CG anime to date, if only for the fact that all but the most CG allergic thought not only that aesthetically appealing work could be done with CG, but that it could only have been done with CG (with the help of some traditionally drawn cuts and some beautifully painted backgrounds as well). For someone who has not been averse to CG anime, this is an important work. Even setting aside the visuals, the story was compelling too. While I wasn't quite sold on the story and Phos in the beginning, they both grew on me as it went along, especially after Antarticite. I again would like to highlight Tomoyo Kurosawa's work as Phos, really bringing her to life, both vocally and visually as it turns out. Which bring me to its fall companion...

3. Ancient Magus' Bride: A magical experience every week, which had already enchanted me when it showed in theaters over here in July (and as the OVAs came out on CR). Not only did I find it very promising from the start, but it has further improved upon that since then. It was the show that I most looked forward to every Saturday, and I don't expect that to change going forward.

2. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: One of the most consistently delightful and delightfully animated series I've seen this year, brought to us by the craftsmen and women at KyoAni. I enjoyed it while it was airing, but at the time I had other shows above it for anime of the season. However, after seeing the first four episodes again at Otakon and the rest shortly after, I loved it even more than the first time and it has stuck with me more than my prior selection for anime of its respective season (my number 6). This lovely story about a non traditional family is definitely among my favorites of one of my favorite studios, which I didn't expect coming in. I also was pleasantly surprised to see it in so many reviewers' and users' top fives.

1. Made in Abyss: This was one of the most finely crafted anime not only of this year, but also the past few, at the very least. Some of the most stunning backgrounds I've ever seen, and a very well run production by Kinema Citrus. This was the series that really firmed up my appreciation for Kou Yoshinari's animation, with some of the most uniquely designed and wonderfully animated monsters I've seen in anime. And the story is just as compelling, with episode 10 having one of the most visceral scenes I've seen in anime and the finale being one of the most moving stories I've seen this year. It is clear the original author has...particular tastes, but the anime producers I think did a good job of excising it or failing that, presenting it as tastefully as possible. I'm looking forward to more next year, as long as they put the time into the next season as they clearly have with this one.

Since I've seen a number of anime films this year, I thought I would list my top 5 films as well, though I will try to be a bit more brief.

5. No Game No Life Zero: A well produced prequel of one of my favorites shows of the last few years which improved upon the original in some ways.
4. In This Corner of the World: A moving and important passion project on the daily lives of the Japanese during WWII.
3. Kizumonogatari III: The finale to the long awaited prequel of the Monogatari series, and an excellent display of the vision of the first director for the Monogatari series, Bake's Tatsuya Oishi.
2: A Silent Voice: One of KyoAni's best produced films which really connected with me due to both of my grandparent's on my mother's side being deaf, with Saori Hayami's Shoko really reminding me of my grandmother.
1. Your Name: Probably an obvious choice and what else is there to say that hasn't been already in the last year or so?

My number six film would be Heaven's Feel, as despite being some of Ufotable's best work to date, it was a bit inside-jokey to knock out NGNL Zero for me, though it very well could have if that weren't the case.
ChoGGi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm interesting picks this year.
For me; it's definitely Ancient Magus’ Bride

Honourable mentions go to:
Alice & Zouroku
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
Inuyashiki

...other than AOT, never really understood the fame of that one, nor Made in Abyss. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy them, but decent is the best I could say (though I only watched 3-4 episodes of MIA).

[EDIT: Removed spoiler tag, since there was no indication of what was underneath it and no need for that part to be spoiler-tagged. You're not saying anything extreme, so there's no need to be concerned about it. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
1. Natsume Roku
There's no competition with this show. Over the past six years, it has grown to become one of my favorite series (everrr), and its tender human drama is enough to keep me coming back for another six, at least.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Descending Stories
Masterful. The kind of anime I'd offer to someone who actually cares. Enough said.

3. The Eccentric Family 2
Close with Showa Genroku, but I think it requires a second or third viewing for it to really stick, so in essence it isn't quite as strong as the first season which had me head-over-heels in a minute. Nevertheless, I loved this follow-up as a sort of sober reconstruction of the thematic beats of the first run, clarifying its characters and successfully building on its internal momentum to push everything and everyone a little bit further until they're ready to burst. Some of them do, and to spectacular effect. Oh, and Benten is still my anime spirit animal. We've all been that low, girl.

4. Kino's Journey
Gave me something entertaining to watch through Fall, genuinely funny at times, rarely moving but deliberate and thoughtful. Flawed but worth a watch.

5. Neo Yokio
I will not be precluded from paying praise to this disaster art; we all know it was revolutionary.

There were a number of cool looking shows I wanted to watch like Made in Abyss and Land of the Lustrous but if it wasn't on Crunchyroll or Netflix it wasn't worth it for me, so hopefully I get a chance to check those out someday, somewhere, somehow.

I also liked Scum's Wish well enough but I watched about five or six episodes and felt fully satisfied and never intend to finish the show, so I don't think that qualifies as a best of the year deal. It sufficed.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
I'll be updating this reply as articles go up (does anyone do that, ever?) but here's my top 10, after some changes in the top 5 over the past few thinkovers:
1. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen
2. Houseki no Kuni
3. Mahoutsukai no Yome
4. Netjuu no Susume
5. Boku no Hero Academia 2
6. Princess Principal
7. Seikaisuru Kado
8. Juuni Taisen
9. Saiyuki Reload Blast
10. Girls' Last Tour

Greatest plot twist: spoiler[Antarc gets taken by the Lunarians] from Houseki no Kuni.

Greatest character: Yakumo 8th/Kikuhiko from Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen.

Best theme song: For OP, we'll go with Deep in Abyss sung by Reg and Riko's VAs (from Made in Abyss) because it made me cry the first time I heard it and it conjures up such a great sense of wanderlust (I didn't watch Made in Abyss, by the way - thank you, YouTube). For ED, it's Hikobayuru from Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen. It was mostly a toss-up between that and Juuni Taisen's ED Keshin no Kemono, but the latter can get a bit intolerable at times.

Worst show: I seem to have a thing for selecting really bad shows and then getting the heck out of those dumpster fires, so these are mostly interchangeable:
1. Hand Shakers - I couldn't even get through one episode of Hand Shakers which is an award(?) not too many anime share. Let's just say that.
2. Dynamic Chord - See the Sakugabooru article Gina Szanboti refers to. That'll tell you everything you need to know(?).
3. King's Game - The only trash I was subjected to not of my own volition (blame my anime club). When people violently explode into puddles of "chocolate pudding", you know this show is doing something wrong.

Last edited by lostbirdinatree on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:32 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
1. Rewrite 2nd season
Definitely my biggest joy, Be it reading opinions or watching show itself, it made winter season best ever, what I liked the most was the story, while human life is treated as special, they blown away morality which is attained in society we live in.

2. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou
Friendship unlike its sequel, It felt like they could build this relationship only bc they were yuusha, while Gin was different, other 2 girls were totally awkward and it was really cute to watch them and see how they become friends, and then we got => those 2 special scenes with Gin and Sonoko.
I would add that knowing overall what’s going to happen coz sequel aired first, in fact made it more enjoyable, like instead of learning while airing, I had this knowledge of what's awaiting them, but still couldn’t help but enjoy their time together.

3.Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata ♭
This season was perfect -> full focus on 3 main heroines which I loved a lot>>> really good job cutting off others. If only first season was like this, but the way they concluded it they made me look forward to other girls as well.
Katou ftw.

4.Aho girl
Every ep everyone was getting dumber and dumber and even more fun:>< what can you want more. And in finale when you thought that A-kun could be overdoing it by hitting Yoshiko all time, you get to truly realize the horrors of he's life…

5.Gabriel Dropout
angel falling into temptations to begin with, while other one is sadistic:/ and demons are proper(well at least one is, since other is just dumb) Let the fun begin where angels and demons troll with their personalities, it was truly funny.

Best plot twists?
Kino no Tabi,
Basically there was Kino’s backstory,
and then ep before It which was analogy to her past,
so the moment for me was the conclusion for analogy ep to her past, initially it was simply strange for her to break up like that, but it was meant to feel /understand it after watching next ep, like thinking about earlier ep after watching her backstory was woot, that was done in really an interesting way.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
In any other year, Hand Shakers would have been in clear possession of my crown for worst anime as well. Unfortunately, it came out around the same time as something that outplayed even Hand Shakers in terms of sheer entertaining badness. You'll just have to wait until the Worst Anime day to find out what it is.

It's King's Game. Don't try to pretend that it's anything other than King's Game. Razz

Oh, it has to be. I will admit that I've been wondering if King's Game is going to end up the "winner" of this category over Hand Shakers due to it being more recent, and therefore still on people's minds. Honestly, I sort of forgot Hand Shakers existed, or maybe it would be more accurate to say that I chose to devote brain space to more worthwhile shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11